Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

If we can't knock off the Ducks tomorrow with Price

Then I don't see it happening for a while. After price graduates, will we have another QB of his caliber for a couple of seasons?

I think this is our best shot in this half of the decade. Otherwise, fuck, its going to be 15 in a row.

Comments

• It's hard to predict the landscape of CFB five years from now, but I tend to agree. Tomorrow or bust.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,861 Founders Club
    I tend to think you're rght, but we have little to judge Helfrich on right now, actually. He inherited Chip Kelly's machine. Once Mariota is gone, we might start to see Oregon downgrade a notch or two. It's plausible.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Your_Mom said:

Then I don't see it happening for a while. After price graduates, will we have another QB of his caliber for a couple of seasons?

I think this is our best shot in this half of the decade. Otherwise, fuck, its going to be 15 in a row.

If Washington loses tomorrow, the entire discussion needs to be around whether to fire Sark on the 50 yard line after the sexual massage hug with Helfrich or after this year's Apple Cup?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074

I tend to think you're rght, but we have little to judge Helfrich on right now, actually. He inherited Chip Kelly's machine. Once Mariota is gone, we might start to see Oregon downgrade a notch or two. It's plausible.

that's actually a fair point.

is Helfrich going to be Larry Coker? or will he be ... um ... fuck someone help me. who was the last guy to inherit a machine and keep winning? seems like the dynasty runs always start from scratch. even Erickson, who won two titles with Miami, eventually ran that program into the ground, but I guess if you win two titles in, what, six years (89 through 94?), and had the best team at the end of one or two other seasons, then fuck it, that breaks the chain and you can call it yours.

but the pattern is not Erickson at Miami. the pattern is Larry Coker at Miami.

but consider, if we get plungered by Oregon some more, that may hasten pretty boy's departure, and maybe we get a real fucking coach before 15 can happen. the cupboard is no longer bare. well, sort of.

I just don't see 15 straight. fuck you for putting that in my head though.
  • AuburndawgAuburndawg Member Posts: 362
    Ridiculous

We have two 4 star QBs in training. We return 16 starters next year.

We will be better next year than we are now.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Ridiculous

I actually agree with Auburn, although that depends on if Sankey, Kasen, Shelton, and Peters come back. I think all of them will except possibly Sankey. I left out ASJ on purpose, we have proven we can easily play without him. I don't think he is nearly as essential as the other Juniors.

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited October 2013
    If Chip was our Schnellenberger, that makes Helf our Jimmy Johnson.

Ridiculous

When did UW fire Sark? I missed the announcement.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

Ridiculous

I actually agree with Auburn, although that depends on if Sankey, Kasen, Shelton, and Peters come back. I think all of them will except possibly Sankey. I left out ASJ on purpose, we have proven we can easily play without him. I don't think he is nearly as essential as the other Juniors.

Agreed with both of you. Sankey needs to leave though, a RB only has so many hit mileage on him.
  • Dawgs4everDawgs4ever Member Posts: 170
    We're going to lose to Oregon next year on the road in any event, even if all of those guys return. First year QBs on the road in Oregon aren't likely to fare well.

Troy Williams has a ton of potential though. Better raw talent than Price - more zip, faster, more elusive. The question is - will he have Price's composure under fire. The good news is he won't have the battered Brock Huard QB syndrome that Price still suffers slightly from after a couple of years behind a phantom OL.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Very tough job for Helfrich. It will be easy the first 2 years but lets see what happens in 2015-2016.

First, consider that the conference is tougher than when Chip coached and a lot tougher when Belotti coached. Chip only had to deal with Harbaugh. USC was on probation, UW and UCLA were a joke. Cal was in decline, etc. Belotti spent half of his tenure when the conference was its worst ever from 93-02. It didn't pick up until Tedford and Carroll began their runs. Belotti was 28-22 in conference from 02-07. He had one great year (2005) and the rest were mediocre.

Now, Stanford is still good. UW will be a top 15 program in any scenario except Sark coaching w/o Wilcocks. UCLA is back to form. USC is hiring a new coach. Meanwhile, UA and ASU have coaches to at least be 7-8 win teams in most years.

The conference is going to be a lot tougher for Helfrich than his predecessors. Also, Oregon relies on national recruiting and if they slip a bit I think their recruiting will slide a few notches.

However, Oregon is smart. If they want to give Helfrich more than a few years, they will force Allioti into retirement so they can get Wilcox as DC (if he's not a HC yet).
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,144 Founders Club
  • Ridiculous

No UW won't. No Price, no Sankey, no ASJ, you graduate 3/4's of your secondary and don't have anyone in place ready to take over, no Kevin Smith, possibly no Kasen, possibly no Shelton.

Also if UW somehow wins 9-10 games this year then no Wilcox as he'll be head coach. This team won't be better stop dooging it up please.
    edited October 2013

Very tough job for Helfrich. It will be easy the first 2 years but lets see what happens in 2015-2016.

First, consider that the conference is tougher than when Chip coached and a lot tougher when Belotti coached. Chip only had to deal with Harbaugh. USC was on probation, UW and UCLA were a joke. Cal was in decline, etc. Belotti spent half of his tenure when the conference was its worst ever from 93-02. It didn't pick up until Tedford and Carroll began their runs. Belotti was 28-22 in conference from 02-07. He had one great year (2005) and the rest were mediocre.

Now, Stanford is still good. UW will be a top 15 program in any scenario except Sark coaching w/o Wilcocks. UCLA is back to form. USC is hiring a new coach. Meanwhile, UA and ASU have coaches to at least be 7-8 win teams in most years.

The conference is going to be a lot tougher for Helfrich than his predecessors. Also, Oregon relies on national recruiting and if they slip a bit I think their recruiting will slide a few notches.

However, Oregon is smart. If they want to give Helfrich more than a few years, they will force Allioti into retirement so they can get Wilcox as DC (if he's not a HC yet).

Winners win and losers make excuses for why they don't win.

If Helfrich is a winner, he'll perform at or near the level Chip did. If not, he'll be another Bellotti.

Also, UW isn't a top 15 program NOW with Sark and Wilcox. Why would that change?
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    Your_Mom said:

I posted this FRIGHTENING list previously of people we're likely to lose next year: Price, ASJ, Kasen, Sankey, Danny Shelton, Sean Parker.

Scared? You should be.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,380 Founders Club
    edited October 2013

Ridiculous

We will should be better next year than we are now.

You forgot the Iron Law of Sark. Whatever team in whatever year Sark coaches, add two losses.

#truthsucks
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited October 2013
    I get really tired of the bullshit reasoning that Helfrich sucks and can't fill Kelly's shoes... blah blah blah. He's 5-0. By commanding margins. He has the *same fucking staff* that was here with Kelly. He has the magic soccer spray. If he sucks, we will fire him and get someone who does not suck.

I'm too lazy/DNGAF enough to do the research, but look at how many of Schnelly's staff were still at Miami under Coker. A lot of our coaches were here during the Rich Brooks era... and they are remarkably good coaches.

I would argue that Jimmy Johnson was a much better coach than Schnelly was... he took what Schnelly built and ran with it. Thus far, that seems to be Helfrich's MO.

This isn't your grandfather's Oregon football program. We will continue to be good. Too much money has been spent for it to be otherwise.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,380 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

I get really tired of the bullshit reasoning that Helfrich sucks and can't fill Kelly's shoes... blah blah blah. He's 5-0. By commanding margins. He has the *same fucking staff* that was here with Kelly. He has the magic soccer spray. If he sucks, we will fire him and get someone who does not suck.

I'm too lazy/DNGAF enough to do the research, but look at how many of Schnelly's staff were still at Miami under Coker. A lot of our coaches were here during the Rich Brooks era... and they are remarkably good coaches.

This isn't your grandfather's Oregon football program. We will continue to be good. Too much money has been spent for it to be otherwise.

This. Oregon isn't going anywhere. They are a national brand now, and they are totally committed to winning, and have the financing to keep it going. The only way you completely flame out when you are at that level is a self inflicted gun shot wound (see UW Football 1992-2013).

Sure, Oregon may have down periods, but they will hire and fire until they get it right. That is what should have happened at UW. With what DJ built, who could have imagined how far we would fall. Takes colossal errors (see Barbara Hedges and Mark Emmert) and a total "don't give a fuck" (see Todd Turner and faggy fanbase that accept losers) attitude to take a perennial top 10 team off the map for over a decade.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,074
    AZDuck said:

I would argue that Jimmy Johnson was a much better coach than Schnelly was... he took what Schnelly built and ran with it. Thus far, that seems to be Helfrich's MO.

the point, my friend, is that Jimmy Johnsons don't grow on trees and don't come around all the time. consider the mere fact that (1) you are going back a million years (ok, almost 30) for an example, and (2) that is example is based on a program whose back yard is arguably THE most fertile, and certainly one of the most fertile, recruiting grounds in the country. Miami has never, and will never, be a national recruiting program. they hit the mid-atlantic states, mostly NJ and PA, pretty hard, along with Louisiana, and occassionally pull in a good player or two from Cali and Texas, but that's it. It's a Florida, and mainly Dade and Broward, thing for them. Oregon is a very different animal.

But your point stands: Oregon now expects to win and win big. If Helfrich shits the bed, they will find someone who won't.

I also disagree with the point that Kelly operated under a less-competitive Pac 12. Bull shit. The conference has always been 3 or 4 good teams of varying quality, a few mediocres and some really bad. There's less of the really bad, but kinda not really with the addition of Colorado to take the Beavs' place, and the cewgs are still the cewgs.

Furd was good during Kelly's run, and Kelly played and beat SC before the sanctions, and eventually Kiffin, had crippled them.

so bullshit. Oregon has won in a healthy Pac 10/12 conference. It was never, or rarely, any tougher than when Washington was winning.