Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oregon academics

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Passion said:

Passion said:

Photo of oregon's valedictorian: image

Shit. Doogman. Belongs.

You've had more than enough time to prove you belong here. Pack up and go home already.
    You realize that everyone gets made fun of here, but you lose your shit if anyone makes fun of one specific group of people.

God it's embarrassing how much you love oregon. Just go ahead and do it. Come out of the closet.
    If you're going to make fun of Oregon, do it with an ounce of intelligence instead of the typical humorless Doog crap that got old a decade ago.

HTH
    It was funny the first 23 times

• Options

Passion said:

Passion said:

Shit. Doogman. Belongs.

You've had more than enough time to prove you belong here. Pack up and go home already.
    You realize that everyone gets made fun of here, but you lose your shit if anyone makes fun of one specific group of people.

God it's embarrassing how much you love oregon. Just go ahead and do it. Come out of the closet.
    If you're going to make fun of Oregon, do it with an ounce of intelligence instead of the typical humorless Doog crap that got old a decade ago.

HTH
    Agreed. Doogs make fun of Oregon by talking tradition, academics, etc.

We make fun of Oregon by talking Kip Kinkel, Todd Doxey, Eugene being meth infested.

That's how REAL Husky fans troll Oregon.

HTH
  • Options

Passion said:

Passion said:

Shit. Doogman. Belongs.

HTH
    Agreed. Doogs make fun of Oregon by talking tradition, academics, etc.

We make fun of Oregon by talking Kip Kinkel, Todd Doxey, Eugene being meth infested.

That's how REAL Husky fans troll Oregon.

HTH
    In Passion's defense, that pic was definitely meth infested. If he'd have left out the academis smack, it would have fit right in.

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    It's not old if it's still accurate.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Passion said:

It's not accurate anymore. That place is on its way to becoming UC-Eugene.

• Options
    AZDuck said:

How did Sven miss this? Anyways yes, no, craves it, craves it.
  • Options

AZDuck said:

Fuck. I need to go take a walk to get some perspective.
  • Options

Passion said:

it never was accurate

• Options
    dnc said:

Passion said:

it never was accurate

It was accurate when I was looking at colleges back in the days before college football was invented.

• Options

AZDuck said:

Fuck. I need to go take a walk to get some perspective.
    In your defense you have been arguing with Doogs all day so you are probably thrown off and thought you were back on Doogman instead of here.
  • Options

dnc said:

Passion said:

it never was accurate

It was accurate when I was looking at colleges back in the days before college football was invented.

Go Vikings?

• Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Passion said:

it never was accurate

Go Vikings?

Bearcats. Was also admitted to UW, but holy crap even back then out of state tuition was brutal.

Stanford didn't want me anyway (too white).
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Why pick on Origon arcodemics? As soon as we graduate we are prepared to enter the Mcdonalds and Walmart workforce. There's something to be said about that.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Tailgater said:

IMHO, it's an embarrassment what their academic institution is, and what's happened to them as far as their state funding has gone. In my mind it's a wonderful athletic facility but they've watched it at the expense of the university go really down.

Who cares? None of my children or grandchildren would ever go to UO to get a higher education and those of my Oregon relatives who actually attend college and can't get into Oregon State deserve to waste their time in Eugene.

This better-than-thou academic crap is so boring for any real Dawgfan.

The truth is, we have more in common with Oregon academically than we do the top schools in the conference. I threw in Whitman just to make the point of how silly it is because we're not even the most elite school in our state.

Also, Oregon has always been harder to get into than Oregon State. You, like every other engineer I know, think that if you're not making $45,000 a year working for Boeing, you're not living.

As I said. who the fuck cares about academics,.... adding the fuck for emphasis. When it comes to evaluating a university for the purpose of acquiring an undergrad degree, size, diversity, and location are all that matter unless your dream is to become an elite ivory towerist puke in which downsizing, tunnel-vision, and escaping from the World must be the criteria or agenda for acquiring that advanced degree that most of us wouldn't need even for ass-wipe.

Whitman isn't an elite anything to anybody other than to some academic rating agency that once got a hard-on there while visiting it's faculty lounge. I hired many engineers and professional administrative staff during my 40 year career mostly in management and only really had difficulties with two master engineers both of whom were hired by my bosses. One was a wetback from Stanford who became a close friend, but was a total flake too full of himself who for years moved in and out of my employ on contract and whose contributions were limited and thus, value-priced. The second was an MIT kid who was worthless, but hired at a big salary and difficult for me to get rid of until he got homesick for his mommy in New England.

As for $45,000 at Boeing, that salary as an entry level just out of UW, WSU, or OSU is at least 20 years behind what I was offering new engineering grads when I retired over ten years ago. Unless wages have dropped drastically, they must be getting $60K-$70K by now (I was typically offering $50K-$55K in late 1990's) in the industry I was employed in. From what I understand, companies in western Washington are pleading with the UW and WSU to produce thousands more engineering and science grads because no matter what level of salary Boeing and the multitude of other local companies are willing to pay entry level, there are far too few bodies to come close to filling the demand.

From the latest data reported, the UW is an approx $9 billion per annum enterprise in terms of operating cost and the third largest single employer in the state of Washington. The legislature in Olympia this past year cut the state's budget allotment to UW from approx. $400 million down to $230 million and change for about 2.6 percent of the UW's total operating budget. That's a measly 2.6 fucking percent! Why bother with something as big and important as the University of Washington. The state legislature should focus it's piddly business on ferries and Whitman and let us as it's friends take care of the UW 100 percent as we virtually are doing already.

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tailagter's rant is identical to what is going on at the UO. The last president (the one they fired) had a plan and donors in place to set up an expansion of the endowment to over $1BN (current UO endowment is around $475MM) but the Beevs who run the state board of higher education canned him instead. Now, chastened, the legislature is going to grant UO the independence the old prez was asking for. Hopefully the money comes back. State support at UO is around 2-3% of costs.
  • Options
    LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1

IMHO, it's an embarrassment what their academic institution is, and what's happened to them as far as their state funding has gone. In my mind it's a wonderful athletic facility but they've watched it at the expense of the university go really down.

I realize it's a whoosh, but what's funny is that there is a bigger gap in undergrad admissions stats, especially sat scores, between Whitman and UW than there is between UW and oregon. No doubt we're higher, but not by as much as people think.

It's so fucking stupid.
    Come on "Creepy Crotch"......Whitman isn't even a University and the only diversity on campus is through Men's Basketball. Granted, Whitman is an elite College, Ivy League of the West, but they lack the diversity of UW which is reflected in the discrepancy in SAT scores.
  • Options
    LevelPar said:

I realize it's a whoosh, but what's funny is that there is a bigger gap in undergrad admissions stats, especially sat scores, between Whitman and UW than there is between UW and oregon. No doubt we're higher, but not by as much as people think.

It's so fucking stupid.
    Come on "Creepy Crotch"......Whitman isn't even a University and the only diversity on campus is through Men's Basketball. Granted, Whitman is an elite College, Ivy League of the West, but they lack the diversity of UW which is reflected in the discrepancy in SAT scores.
    No offense but they call Whitman the "Williams of the West", which is an insult to Williams. Whitman is a good liberal arts college. Not upper tier. Fat fucking Fetters is a grad for christ sakes.

*Liberal Arts college superiority guy
  • Options
    LevelParLevelPar Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    Men's Basketball recruits it as "Ivy of the West" so I don't know much about Will-Hole.
  • Options
    LevelPar said:

Men's Basketball recruits it as "Ivy of the West" so I don't know much about Will-Hole.

The only "Ivy" of the west is Stanford. Pomona and Claremont-Mckenna are "small Ivies". Hi AZDuck!