Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

New Fish / Why the mediocre rush defense through 7 games?

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

New fish here, and I’m not supposed to be here, but here I’m anyway. I’ve been lurking on the sidelines for about a year to get a feel for this place and love the HHB/Hardcore Husky shtick; and thought I would give posting on the boreds the old college try. Plus I once saw DFI’s Race Bannon smoke weed and talk shit in person (post Oregon Game at Autzen in 2002) so I feel like I should have a little street cred in this place.

At any rate, here is my question for the football experts of the bored: Why is our rush defense so mediocre through 6 games (6th in Pac, 45th nationally) compared with our overall defense being solid in terms of scoring and passing. I get major anxiety watching us get gashed by some of these Pac 12 bottom feeders- e.g., Arizona, OSU in the 2nds half, etc. With as much talent as we have at d-line (at least before Mathis went down), linebacker, and secondary, why are we better at stopping the run? Is all Psalm’ fault? Is it scheme- e.g., we give up yards between the 20’s but not the big pass play? Is the sample pool just lousy and a lot of the rushing yards have come in the 2nd half against our 2’s and 3’s (excluding Arizona?).

My attention span is above average and would love to hear some good, long winded analysis. I suspect it will get covered on the TSIO Pod vis-à-vis Utah and will be sure to tune in…you can count me as listener number 9.

FUCK. YES.

I think if we get to 10 listeners we get a free meal at McDonald's or some shit.

This is a really good questions though, we'll talk about it on the pod I am sure.

Also, your screen name and avatar is actually good, really solid first effort, welcome!
    I actually have the White Album on vinyl in both Stereo and Mono. I think I prefer the Stereo version of Revolution #9 though.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,089
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Gladstone said:

Stanford averaged 0.9ypc

Stanford sucks
    I'm not sure if we didn't kill their will. That was a big top 10 match up and they got fucking destroyed. Not all the time, but most of the time that stuff happens, it has a psychological effect. It's human nature or some shit. They didn't lose 21-17.
    Very much this. I think Nebraska deflated Oregon. I look back to that 2008 BYU game and feel that was similar. I think Stanford is worse because of us. I've been thinking about the best way to analyze which teams (if any) make their opponents worse. So far what I've got is some sos adjusted winning percentages statistic before and after playing. Just due to sample sizes and unbalanced scheduling it could be tough
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,089
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2016

I just hope we can put Utah away in the 1st quarter.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

UTAH 77 UW 4

Nega please

Like we're getting two safeties
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

So to @Tequilla 's point about separate stats for garbage it does seem like our run defense in the 1st half of the 3 PAC blowouts has been stout. Stanford had 16 net rushing yards in the 1st half, 13 in the 2nd. Oregon ran for 73 net in the 1st half and 157 in the 2nd. OSU was 33 and 144 respectively. I guess it’s fair to say then Arizona and garbage time rushing yards given up are dragging down our numbers a bit. Ok – I feel about bit better now. I just hope we can put Utah away but halftime or early in the 3rd.

I literally said scrubs... You don't need to write a paragraph to reason why our run defense has been statisically "average"
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,996
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

New fish here, and I’m not supposed to be here, but here I’m anyway. I’ve been lurking on the sidelines for about a year to get a feel for this place and love the HHB/Hardcore Husky shtick; and thought I would give posting on the boreds the old college try. Plus I once saw DFI’s Race Bannon smoke weed and talk shit in person (post Oregon Game at Autzen in 2002) so I feel like I should have a little street cred in this place.

At any rate, here is my question for the football experts of the bored: Why is our rush defense so mediocre through 6 games (6th in Pac, 45th nationally) compared with our overall defense being solid in terms of scoring and passing. I get major anxiety watching us get gashed by some of these Pac 12 bottom feeders- e.g., Arizona, OSU in the 2nds half, etc. With as much talent as we have at d-line (at least before Mathis went down), linebacker, and secondary, why are we better at stopping the run? Is all Psalm’ fault? Is it scheme- e.g., we give up yards between the 20’s but not the big pass play? Is the sample pool just lousy and a lot of the rushing yards have come in the 2nd half against our 2’s and 3’s (excluding Arizona?).

My attention span is above average and would love to hear some good, long winded analysis. I suspect it will get covered on the TSIO Pod vis-à-vis Utah and will be sure to tune in…you can count me as listener number 9.

FUCK. YES.

I think if we get to 10 listeners we get a free meal at McDonald's or some shit.

This is a really good questions though, we'll talk about it on the pod I am sure.

Also, your screen name and avatar is actually good, really solid first effort, welcome!
    I haven't listened yet, but I am pretty much of a whore, so if we could maybe throw some of those chicken McNuggets my way, I could be swayed (haha) to tune in.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I just track wins and ticket sales
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think there was a dawgman poster by the name of YellowSnow. I can't remember but I think he was a fag.

You the same person?

I'm not brave enough to use my dawgman handle because I'm a fag.

Nope, not me. I think I probably had a total of 4 or 5 five posts on dawgman years ago under a different handle. Wouldn't surprise me though if someone had the same inspiration and used it on dawgman.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think there was a dawgman poster by the name of YellowSnow. I can't remember but I think he was a fag.

You the same person?

Nope, not me. I think I probably had a total of 4 or 5 five posts on dawgman years ago under a different handle. Wouldn't surprise me though if someone had the same inspiration and used it on dawgman.
    It would surprise me.
    General lack of creativity over there or something? I only know the cliff notes version of how this place got started as an alternative to that site.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

You the same person?

It would surprise me.
    General lack of creativity over there or something? I only know the cliff notes version of how this place got started as an alternative to that site.
    thoseguysarefags.gif
    This was shot at their last signing day event.

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'll spell this out just this once for you new fish: shut your stupid cunt mouth.

Then leave.

The numbers are what they are and there's no taking away plays...but take away the big qb runs and the fly sweep td in garbage time and I bet *we* rank pretty high. I think the run D will show well at Utah.