Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

New Fish / Why the mediocre rush defense through 7 games?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
New fish here, and I’m not supposed to be here, but here I’m anyway. I’ve been lurking on the sidelines for about a year to get a feel for this place and love the HHB/Hardcore Husky shtick; and thought I would give posting on the boreds the old college try. Plus I once saw DFI’s Race Bannon smoke weed and talk shit in person (post Oregon Game at Autzen in 2002) so I feel like I should have a little street cred in this place.

At any rate, here is my question for the football experts of the bored: Why is our rush defense so mediocre through 6 games (6th in Pac, 45th nationally) compared with our overall defense being solid in terms of scoring and passing. I get major anxiety watching us get gashed by some of these Pac 12 bottom feeders- e.g., Arizona, OSU in the 2nds half, etc. With as much talent as we have at d-line (at least before Mathis went down), linebacker, and secondary, why are we better at stopping the run? Is all Psalm’ fault? Is it scheme- e.g., we give up yards between the 20’s but not the big pass play? Is the sample pool just lousy and a lot of the rushing yards have come in the 2nd half against our 2’s and 3’s (excluding Arizona?).

My attention span is above average and would love to hear some good, long winded analysis. I suspect it will get covered on the TSIO Pod vis-à-vis Utah and will be sure to tune in…you can count me as listener number 9.

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    We have played against Freeman and McCaffrey. Biggest gains were the shitfest broken plays by Dawkins.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This is exactly what I was talking about.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

This is exactly what I was talking about.

When?
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Where the fuck is @Tequilla to give us 6 paragraphs on this shit?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I do have concerns with the run game attacking the edge with the QB in a read option situation ... fortunately we don't really have much left on our schedule that worries me with that (ASU maybe) ...

I think you have to separate the stats for garbage time out of the picture ... it matters in getting our young players experience but that really is it

Glad to hear that you enjoy the TSIO podcast ... Pepsi will be thrilled that we have our 9th listener
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

New fish here, and I’m not supposed to be here, but here I’m anyway. I’ve been lurking on the sidelines for about a year to get a feel for this place and love the HHB/Hardcore Husky shtick; and thought I would give posting on the boreds the old college try. Plus I once saw DFI’s Race Bannon smoke weed and talk shit in person (post Oregon Game at Autzen in 2002) so I feel like I should have a little street cred in this place.

At any rate, here is my question for the football experts of the bored: Why is our rush defense so mediocre through 6 games (6th in Pac, 45th nationally) compared with our overall defense being solid in terms of scoring and passing. I get major anxiety watching us get gashed by some of these Pac 12 bottom feeders- e.g., Arizona, OSU in the 2nds half, etc. With as much talent as we have at d-line (at least before Mathis went down), linebacker, and secondary, why are we better at stopping the run? Is all Psalm’ fault? Is it scheme- e.g., we give up yards between the 20’s but not the big pass play? Is the sample pool just lousy and a lot of the rushing yards have come in the 2nd half against our 2’s and 3’s (excluding Arizona?).

My attention span is above average and would love to hear some good, long winded analysis. I suspect it will get covered on the TSIO Pod vis-à-vis Utah and will be sure to tune in…you can count me as listener number 9.

FUCK. YES.

I think if we get to 10 listeners we get a free meal at McDonald's or some shit.

This is a really good questions though, we'll talk about it on the pod I am sure.

Also, your screen name and avatar is actually good, really solid first effort, welcome!
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

FUCK. YES.

I think if we get to 10 listeners we get a free meal at McDonald's or some shit.

This is a really good questions though, we'll talk about it on the pod I am sure.

Also, your screen name and avatar is actually good, really solid first effort, welcome!