Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Pete lauds his OL Coach.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
edited October 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Pretty high praise for Strausser at the 23:05 mark: seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/uws-chris-petersen-on-jake-brownings-heisman-hopes-oregon-pete-carroll-bye-week-and-more/

In answering the questions, Pete was obviously directing his comments toward some specific people.

Comments

• PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited October 2016

Pretty sure that was directed at Fozzy.

Ya think?
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Also, I think we need to include a trigger warning for the pussies of @RoadDawg55 and others that have struggled to adjust to the idea that football and recruiting sometimes overlap.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    dnc said:

Yeah but assistants recruit areas, not what they coach. Isn't that recruiting 101? Pete is the closer. Stausser or whatever (if we win the natty I'll learn their names) has coached up some bags of shit. If we want better recruits the whole staff and the closer have to do it

I thought that was the case too, but it seems like every DB recruit we've gotten has been Jimmy Lake's responsibility, and likewise with other recruits (Hamdan comes in and all of a sudden we can recruit WR's).

It seems the position coach has more to do with positional recruiting in Pete's program than the traditional college model.

Or maybe it's classic confirmation bias?
    The regional model is definitely what we heard about under Sark, mainly as it related to fucking disasters (instate whiffs being due to Cox, Cozzeto didn't bring in OLs, but maybe helped get a couple AZ kids). Maybe it was true, maybe it was BS, but they were disasters either way.

The difference now is that I am going to be legitimately shocked by any disasters.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,839
    I tend to agree with road dawg espcially at the college level. A guy like Nick Harris who is super athletic is at an advantage over a lesser athlete of course. Which makes him have a higher ceiling and easier to coach based on that fact. So if they can get over looked athletic as hell guys, watch out because they can coach. Some of these higher rated kids are so unathletic but they are rated highly because they are huge. I think being a good OL is more important than being a "great recruiter". You recruit based on special attributes and coach them up from there, not on stars.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,442 Founders Club
    Thanks DAWG fan
  • Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,939 Founders Club
    AIRWOLF said:

The regional model is definitely what we heard about under Sark, mainly as it related to fucking disasters (instate whiffs being due to Cox, Cozzeto didn't bring in OLs, but maybe helped get a couple AZ kids). Maybe it was true, maybe it was BS, but they were disasters either way.

The difference now is that I am going to be legitimately shocked by any disasters.

Washington used the regional model back to James if not earlier. Coaches would focus on particular areas so they could build relationships with the high school coaches in those areas. The closer assistant (Bobby Hauck under Nuehiesel for example) or head coach would step when needed and become primary contact.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,873 Standard Supporter
    FYI: There's a lot of creepy-pedo phrasing in this thread. Huge, super-athletic, kids, 3 deep...

Oy Vey.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,107
    I'm pretty sure our coaches are still assigned to regions. The position coaches still play an equal role though.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

I'm pretty sure our coaches are still assigned to regions. The position coaches still play an equal role though.

Duh.