Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pete lauds his OL Coach.

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I need to see some beef that doesn't look like they're in the Aryan Brotherhood.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Yeah but assistants recruit areas, not what they coach. Isn't that recruiting 101? Pete is the closer. Stausser or whatever (if we win the natty I'll learn their names) has coached up some bags of shit. If we want better recruits the whole staff and the closer have to do it

Disagree.

In the social media age 'territories' have become secondary. People primarily recruit the kids at their position. Straußer has been horrible at it. It's nice that he's coached up kids, but they aren't POSes. Adams and McGary were top 300 kids, Eldrenkamp was talented and Coleman Shelton is only okay.

Further, we only have 2 deep in the line right now because of bizarre recruiting strategies and failings. I prefer to be AT LEAST 3 deep at every position.

If we had 2 line injuries for one game, we would be playing walk-ons or people who are god awful.
    Everyone here wants a 5 star in state tackle.

If we had two injuries at any position we would be playing some bums. I would rather have any two OL hurt (even Adams and McGary) than Qualls and Gaines... Or Victor and Bierria. Or probably even Ross and Pettis.

I bitched about Garnett and Banner because the team and OL sucked. The team is undefefeated and the OL is doing well now. Pete is taking a helicopter to the kid's game. He has an undefeated team. If Sarrell doesn't want to come here, fuck him.

I would rather have a coach like Strausser who is getting results than Klemm. Bitching about the OL coach of the best OL we have had in years is fucking stupid.
    AGAIN - why the fuck would I want a coach that can recruit but can't coach?

Here's a novel fucking idea: I WANT A COACH THAT CAN DO BOTH!!! WHOA!?!?!?

Arguing that 'whoever we get is going to be fine' is dumb. Our OL right now is great because we have two highly rated kids as tackles and a really good 'lifeblood' type player in Eldrenkamp.

We need coaches at ALL positions that can coach and recruit. This is just low standards doog bullshit.
  • Options
    KobeStanKobeStan Member Posts: 91
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    dnc said:

Yeah but assistants recruit areas, not what they coach. Isn't that recruiting 101? Pete is the closer. Stausser or whatever (if we win the natty I'll learn their names) has coached up some bags of shit. If we want better recruits the whole staff and the closer have to do it

I thought that was the case too, but it seems like every DB recruit we've gotten has been Jimmy Lake's responsibility, and likewise with other recruits (Hamdan comes in and all of a sudden we can recruit WR's).

It seems the position coach has more to do with positional recruiting in Pete's program than the traditional college model.

Or maybe it's classic confirmation bias?
    Its still assigned by region. Unless you're a Texas team(in which case like 90% of your team comes from in-state) recruiting by position is incredibly inefficient.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,117
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    KobeStan said:

dnc said:

I thought that was the case too, but it seems like every DB recruit we've gotten has been Jimmy Lake's responsibility, and likewise with other recruits (Hamdan comes in and all of a sudden we can recruit WR's).

It seems the position coach has more to do with positional recruiting in Pete's program than the traditional college model.

Or maybe it's classic confirmation bias?
    Its still assigned by region. Unless you're a Texas team(in which case like 90% of your team comes from in-state) recruiting by position is incredibly inefficient.
    Get a fucking avatar or LEAVE!
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Disagree.

In the social media age 'territories' have become secondary. People primarily recruit the kids at their position. Straußer has been horrible at it. It's nice that he's coached up kids, but they aren't POSes. Adams and McGary were top 300 kids, Eldrenkamp was talented and Coleman Shelton is only okay.

Further, we only have 2 deep in the line right now because of bizarre recruiting strategies and failings. I prefer to be AT LEAST 3 deep at every position.

If we had 2 line injuries for one game, we would be playing walk-ons or people who are god awful.

If we had two injuries at any position we would be playing some bums. I would rather have any two OL hurt (even Adams and McGary) than Qualls and Gaines... Or Victor and Bierria. Or probably even Ross and Pettis.

I bitched about Garnett and Banner because the team and OL sucked. The team is undefefeated and the OL is doing well now. Pete is taking a helicopter to the kid's game. He has an undefeated team. If Sarrell doesn't want to come here, fuck him.

I would rather have a coach like Strausser who is getting results than Klemm. Bitching about the OL coach of the best OL we have had in years is fucking stupid.

Arguing that 'whoever we get is going to be fine' is dumb. Our OL right now is great because we have two highly rated kids as tackles and a really good 'lifeblood' type player in Eldrenkamp.

We need coaches at ALL positions that can coach and recruit. This is just low standards doog bullshit.
    You just described Jimmy Lake.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,944
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Disagree.

This x100.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

You faggoty fucks and your recruiting rankings. Rapp was a 3 star. Harris was a 2 star. Our second string OL is pancaking Oregon's starters.

STFU

So, you've got a whopping sample size of two there. You must be right. I'm sure no one has ever done the work to show that higher rankings are correlated with better performance.

I'm also sure that Pete's first choices are NEVER the guys who are highly ranked guys. You never see us offer those guys first, then move down our list to guys who are typically lower rated. That never happens.

Fucking Jesus. You guys have been out of the fucking game so long you sound like dawgman morons.
    Shut the fuck up faggot. We will get better recruits as we fucking win..

Christ you are stupid
  • Options
    Founders Club

Disagree.

The OL is good this year and will be good next year. But I should worry about 2018 when we are actually good in 2016?
    And this fucking guy is accusing US of being doogman posters.

El oh el
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,962
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

You faggoty fucks and your recruiting rankings. Rapp was a 3 star. Harris was a 2 star. Our second string OL is pancaking Oregon's starters.

STFU

So, you've got a whopping sample size of two there. You must be right. I'm sure no one has ever done the work to show that higher rankings are correlated with better performance.

I'm also sure that Pete's first choices are NEVER the guys who are highly ranked guys. You never see us offer those guys first, then move down our list to guys who are typically lower rated. That never happens.

Fucking Jesus. You guys have been out of the fucking game so long you sound like dawgman morons.
    He offered Cade Otton and Jacob Kizer pretty early. Aaron Fuller and Bacchanalia were offered early...despite missing on a ton of WRs that year, they really liked those guys. They're producing.

They offered Justice Warren early...he wasn't highly ranked.. neither was Yourmandre, although we can all agree he was a specimen.

Point is if they go through the evaluation process and they like their guy, they're going to offer early irregardless. In the case of Nick Harris, they came to him late after missing on a ton for sure. However, I think they're pretty pleased.

P.S. Apparently autocorrect is not working for irregardless. Is that really a word now? Wow...
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I trust the coaches and the process right now. They have earned it.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If Peterman isn't carefull his coaches are gonna get sick of all the public lauding and LEAVE to other programs and we'll be right back where we started.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I usually view the comments of people on this site as being a little more down to earth than elsewhere, but the Strausser hate train that started after AVT committed to his home town school is some bizarro-world dawgman shit.

Strausser has built the best line in the conference from 2 sophomore tackles (one of whom played the position for the first time last year), a 2-star last minute class addition from Sark at center, and a tandem of Shane Brostek and a 6'1" 270 lb. True freshman. Eldrenkamp, too, was no major recruiting coup.

This is the first time a Husky OL has looked even competent in 15 years
    If you want him fired because he hasn't been able to convince nothing but 4 and 5 star O Lineman to come to fucking Washington, you're FS.

Then again, UCLA is having a grand old time down there with ace recruiter Klemm.

This

DDY is retarded. Water is wet.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Strausser is well-respected OL coach who coached some real nobodies at BSU and turned them into NFL linemen.

The recruiting on the OL hasn't been amazing since Petersen got here, but it hasn't been a clear Sark/Neuheisel type of disaster either. Having a guy like Foster Serrell in our backyard and not being able to get him on board obviously ramps up people's anxieties a bit.

The current OL is massively improved, but they still struggle a bit in pass protection and we do have to temper our excitement about their recent domination with the reality that they have mostly been bullying midets (Arizona) and DLs that just flat suck (definitely Oregon).