Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Top 10 true sophomores in college football

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Well this thread sure went to shit.

Nah, it was shit from the start.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    pat_hm said:

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

It's so fun getting all you Anti-Browning people all rlled up.These are facts, idiots. Facts you obviously want to ignore to mold your narrative that the kid sucks. Pathetic.

An subjective bullshit opinion list is fact?
    Subjective bullshit opinion list?? I think we've got a coug on the board. Wow. Jesus man. Wake up. Do you know anything about PFF?? How they grade out every single play?? It's the fucking opposite of a subjective list you idiot. You see the number under the name, that's a grade. Do you know what a grade is? If you grade positive your a good player, if you grade negative your a bad player. Catching on?

If you want a good subjective list go read Adam Jude or Ted Miller, their lists might be a little easier for your bird brain to comprehend.
    They do a lot of work on their subjective grading, but it's still subjective.
    Disagree
    It's subjective. They watch every play and draw conclusions based on their eyes about what happened, then gather those conclusions into larger samples of data. It's subjective analysis disguised as objective.

This doesn't mean it's worthless, I'd rather be near the top than not. But PFF just ranked the Seahawks like #13 in the NFL in roster talent. Their methodology is questionable, to say the least.
    I just don't think subjective is the right term. Sure, there is some subjectivity involved when deciding just how bad or a good a specific play is. A interception is clearly a -2, but the difference between a good throw and a great through is up for debate. I trust football scouts, guys who've spent their entire careers analyzing film over the idiots who's only argument is he throws a bad deep ball (which is completely false).

This is a more detailed breakdown if you're interested: https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/how-we-grade/

Have you watched the Seahawks offensive line? That unit alone would keep us out of the top 10 despite Russ, Earl etc. Personally I believe in their methodology but I guess not everyone buys into the analytical side of football.
    Any argument for the Seahawks outside of the top 10 in the NFL talent rankings is absolutely ridiculous IMO. They have one weak unit which is actually pretty good at run blocking just terrible at pass blocking, and the perfect QB to compensate for that weakness. They're good to very great at every other position group. Honestly they shouldn't be outside the top 5.
    I don't have what you are citing in front of me (link?) so I don't want to make any assumptions but the Hawks last season weren't the same as the Super Bowl team in 13. You just need to take off your neon green 12 glasses.

Kam held out and our secondary didn't play like they have in the past. Dion Bailey was a disaster. Shead played alright. We never found a second corner. I don't think Earl was ever 100% last year, still recovering from the shoulder. Wagner missed time. Jimmy went down and underwhelming. Lynch also wasn't himself. Rawls went down and our starting running back was Dejuan Fucking Harris!! It was a weird year. Still recovering from the super bowl hangover. They weren't as dominate so 13 doesn't feel completely off.
    No shit it's not the 2013 Superb Owl team, if it was I would have said anyone not ranking them #1 is FS.

And the grades aren't for the 2015 roster but the 2016 roster. Dejuan Fucking Harris has nothing to do with it.
    For the third straight year, Pro Football Focus is ranking each roster in the league. Check out the 2015 rankings here, and the 2014 rankings here.

To determine the rankings, we took the past two years of PFF data and, giving the 2015 season more weight, averaged out the grades for each roster. Then we added a closer evaluation for added context, which allowed us, for example, to reward teams that have an excellent quarterback situation but a relative hole along the defensive line when it came to run defense.

We have also included a list of the top five players on each roster, plus a look at starters who aren't up to par.
    link (Insider)
  • pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941

pat_hm said:

I love the Top 10 Sophomores list. It obviously pulls from a huge sample set of what, 30-40 guys who got significant playing time as freshmen.

I want to see a Top 10 list of grad assistants next.

I don't how many kids it pulls from but in this day and age there are WAY more than 30- 40 true freshman playing in college football. Where did you pull that number from? Your ass?? There was probably 40 true freshman who played in the pac 12!!! That's only 3 per team average there smart guy. Good call, bud. Nice effort to attempt to delegitimize this list to look cool in front of your friends.

I'd love to talk to the fans from Florida State, Bama, Georgia, LSU etc who also have players that made this list to see if they hate on their guys as much as the idiots on this board hate on our freshman. These SEC guys would kill for a talent like Browning. You guys are clueless.
    So there weren't any true freshman at Ohio State, FSU, Oklahoma, Alabama that are covered up by All Americans at their position that played special teams? I'm pretty sure there are many of those guys every fucking year.

You don't think it's a very real possibility that there were some freshman QB's who were backups and redshirted that are better than Browning?

You are reaching just as far, If not further with your subjective list.
    I know Calvin Ridley played signicant snaps as a true freshman for Bama. He made the list.

Who knows if there are better QB that redshirted. All I know is that the talent pool at the position has been shrinking in recent years as is evidenced by the NFL draft. Most quartersbacks bust. Look at recruitinging rankings, vast vast majority never live up to their ranking. Cyler and Lindquist were fucking 4 stars.

All I know is Browning did play and put together a solid season. I'd take browning with 11 games under his belt than some over hyped 4 star that redshirted. You learn the most when you get thrown in the shit and I NEVER SAID BROWNING DIDNT STRUGGLE. Of course he did, he was a true freshman. But he got better. And will continue To do so with Gaskin.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,489 Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

pat_hm said:

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

It's so fun getting all you Anti-Browning people all rlled up.These are facts, idiots. Facts you obviously want to ignore to mold your narrative that the kid sucks. Pathetic.

Subjective bullshit opinion list?? I think we've got a coug on the board. Wow. Jesus man. Wake up. Do you know anything about PFF?? How they grade out every single play?? It's the fucking opposite of a subjective list you idiot. You see the number under the name, that's a grade. Do you know what a grade is? If you grade positive your a good player, if you grade negative your a bad player. Catching on?

If you want a good subjective list go read Adam Jude or Ted Miller, their lists might be a little easier for your bird brain to comprehend.
    Disagree
    It's subjective. They watch every play and draw conclusions based on their eyes about what happened, then gather those conclusions into larger samples of data. It's subjective analysis disguised as objective.

This doesn't mean it's worthless, I'd rather be near the top than not. But PFF just ranked the Seahawks like #13 in the NFL in roster talent. Their methodology is questionable, to say the least.
    I just don't think subjective is the right term. Sure, there is some subjectivity involved when deciding just how bad or a good a specific play is. A interception is clearly a -2, but the difference between a good throw and a great through is up for debate. I trust football scouts, guys who've spent their entire careers analyzing film over the idiots who's only argument is he throws a bad deep ball (which is completely false).

This is a more detailed breakdown if you're interested: https://www.profootballfocus.com/about/how-we-grade/

Have you watched the Seahawks offensive line? That unit alone would keep us out of the top 10 despite Russ, Earl etc. Personally I believe in their methodology but I guess not everyone buys into the analytical side of football.
    Any argument for the Seahawks outside of the top 10 in the NFL talent rankings is absolutely ridiculous IMO. They have one weak unit which is actually pretty good at run blocking just terrible at pass blocking, and the perfect QB to compensate for that weakness. They're good to very great at every other position group. Honestly they shouldn't be outside the top 5.
    I don't have what you are citing in front of me (link?) so I don't want to make any assumptions but the Hawks last season weren't the same as the Super Bowl team in 13. You just need to take off your neon green 12 glasses.

Kam held out and our secondary didn't play like they have in the past. Dion Bailey was a disaster. Shead played alright. We never found a second corner. I don't think Earl was ever 100% last year, still recovering from the shoulder. Wagner missed time. Jimmy went down and underwhelming. Lynch also wasn't himself. Rawls went down and our starting running back was Dejuan Fucking Harris!! It was a weird year. Still recovering from the super bowl hangover. They weren't as dominate so 13 doesn't feel completely off.
    No shit it's not the 2013 Superb Owl team, if it was I would have said anyone not ranking them #1 is FS.

And the grades aren't for the 2015 roster but the 2016 roster. Dejuan Fucking Harris has nothing to do with it.
    For the third straight year, Pro Football Focus is ranking each roster in the league. Check out the 2015 rankings here, and the 2014 rankings here.

To determine the rankings, we took the past two years of PFF data and, giving the 2015 season more weight, averaged out the grades for each roster. Then we added a closer evaluation for added context, which allowed us, for example, to reward teams that have an excellent quarterback situation but a relative hole along the defensive line when it came to run defense.

We have also included a list of the top five players on each roster, plus a look at starters who aren't up to par.
    link (ChInsider)

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Disagree

link (ChInsider)

Can you copy and paste the Hawks part? I don't pay for ESPN.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

I love the Top 10 Sophomores list. It obviously pulls from a huge sample set of what, 30-40 guys who got significant playing time as freshmen.

I don't how many kids it pulls from but in this day and age there are WAY more than 30- 40 true freshman playing in college football. Where did you pull that number from? Your ass?? There was probably 40 true freshman who played in the pac 12!!! That's only 3 per team average there smart guy. Good call, bud. Nice effort to attempt to delegitimize this list to look cool in front of your friends.

I'd love to talk to the fans from Florida State, Bama, Georgia, LSU etc who also have players that made this list to see if they hate on their guys as much as the idiots on this board hate on our freshman. These SEC guys would kill for a talent like Browning. You guys are clueless.
    So there weren't any true freshman at Ohio State, FSU, Oklahoma, Alabama that are covered up by All Americans at their position that played special teams? I'm pretty sure there are many of those guys every fucking year.

You don't think it's a very real possibility that there were some freshman QB's who were backups and redshirted that are better than Browning?

I know Calvin Ridley played signicant snaps as a true freshman for Bama. He made the list.

Who knows if there are better QB that redshirted. All I know is that the talent pool at the position has been shrinking in recent years as is evidenced by the NFL draft. Most quartersbacks bust. Look at recruitinging rankings, vast vast majority never live up to their ranking. Cyler and Lindquist were fucking 4 stars.

All I know is Browning did play and put together a solid season. I'd take browning with 11 games under his belt than some over hyped 4 star that redshirted. You learn the most when you get thrown in the shit and I NEVER SAID BROWNING DIDNT STRUGGLE. Of course he did, he was a true freshman. But he got better. And will continue To do so with Gaskin.
    Boy Jameis Winston and Mariota sure struggled because they didn't play as true freshmen.

I share a little of your optimism, but PFF isn't the end all be all. There was an article about how NFL coaches compared their grades with PFF's. The general consensus was that PFF does a pretty good job, but they are often wrong, especially with their QB grades. I would find the link if I wasn't on my phone. You should google and read it if interested.

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Boy Jameis Winston and Mariota sure struggled because they didn't play as true freshmen.

I share a little of your optimism, but PFF isn't the end all be all. There was an article about how NFL coaches compared their grades with PFF's. The general consensus was that PFF does a pretty good job, but they are often wrong, especially with their QB grades. I would find the link if I wasn't on my phone. You should google and read it if interested.
    Those guys were a bit of an exception. Did Connor Wentz redshirt? I have no idea. Spread is killing the position and I love that Browning is a progression based QB. The majority of college QB's suck.

I'm not saying PFF is the end all be all. They tell one side of the story. But finishing with a positive grade after your first year playing QB at the college level isn't a discouraging sign in the least.
    pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Those guys were a bit of an exception. Did Connor Wentz redshirt? I have no idea. Spread is killing the position and I love that Browning is a progression based QB. The majority of college QB's suck.

I'm not saying PFF is the end all be all. They tell one side of the story. But finishing with a positive grade after your first year playing QB at the college level isn't a discouraging sign in the least.
    Shut the fuck up and win.

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

7 wins wasn't enough for you?

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

10 wins aren't enough for me.
    Then why are you a Washington fan?
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Derek, snipe this thread.

Too soon?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

I remember when Washington could win 10 games and pop off.

Derek, snipe this thread.

Too soon?

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

I remember when Washington could win 10 games and pop off.
    Now we just win Natty's in the offseason with hype articles about our burgeoning young gun slinger. Sad.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Hey guys, Browning looked great against Sac State and Arizona. What more could you ask for?
  • TheChartTheChart Member Posts: 76
    pat_hm said:

I think his actual performance fueled the narrative

Ok. Well I don't think he's played as poorly as people on here make it seem. This list seems to lean more to that narrative based, based solely on objective grades. They charted every snap he took this year. It wasn't just watching a few over thrown deep balls to Jaydon Mickens. PFF focus grades out every play and they love him. So are they wrong?

And the fuck did people expect from a true freshman?? His numbers were comparable to Goff, Luck and Rosen's true freshman years yet people treat him like Ronnie Fouch. I think it's crazy.
    Free Pub!!!111!
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,087 Founders Club
    Browning was one of the more effective deep ball passers in all of FBS last season as his 50.0 percent accuracy on passes targeted 20 yards or more downfield ranks No. 6 among returning FBS quarterbacks.

Wat?