Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Brexit game thread

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Obama's comment about Britain going to the back of the trade line is bullshit. Worry about the fucking Chinese instead of our strongest ally.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    BIG win for Trump tonight.

Can't wait to hear what they tell hondo to tell us about this.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Wow. Fascinating.

Good for them.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Precursor to the US Election IMO ... you are spot on.

During my travels, I can't even begin to tell you how much some of the smaller communities in this country are hurting ... the global economy idea is nice in theory but it leaves a lot of people on the sidelines.

Think to your jobs and your friends and how many of you actually produce goods or services? Most of us that live in the larger cities are able to have jobs where we use our minds to earn our living. But outside of the larger, if you aren't producing some kind of good, you don't have a job. It's a significant issue and there are a number of people falling in that category.

When you think in those terms, you get what we're seeing in the global US economy where the rich are getting super rich and the poor getting poorer. It's an explainer of why the middle class is shrinking.

I'm not advocating that inefficient markets and isolationism is the way to go. But at the same time, there is a clear need to figure out how to create opportunities for all in a way that doesn't leave so many behind. It's not healthy for a country and/or a global economy.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

During my travels, I can't even begin to tell you how much some of the smaller communities in this country are hurting ... the global economy idea is nice in theory but it leaves a lot of people on the sidelines.

Think to your jobs and your friends and how many of you actually produce goods or services? Most of us that live in the larger cities are able to have jobs where we use our minds to earn our living. But outside of the larger, if you aren't producing some kind of good, you don't have a job. It's a significant issue and there are a number of people falling in that category.

When you think in those terms, you get what we're seeing in the global US economy where the rich are getting super rich and the poor getting poorer. It's an explainer of why the middle class is shrinking.

I'm not advocating that inefficient markets and isolationism is the way to go. But at the same time, there is a clear need to figure out how to create opportunities for all in a way that doesn't leave so many behind. It's not healthy for a country and/or a global economy.
    I see two potential paths. We can either try to retrain those lost in the tides of globalism and help them adjust to this new information technology economy we're in, or we can try to turn the clocks back to 1980 and bring back our manufacturing jobs by creating trade barriers so large the companies that stick around have no choice but to have a supply chain that consists of nothing but Americans.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,521
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good. Germany should ditch the EU as well.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Cameron stepping down
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Did I miss the halftime show?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,374
    Swaye's Wigwam
    But the polls and demographics said they would stay
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Obama's comment about Britain going to the back of the trade line is bullshit. Worry about the fucking Chinese instead of our strongest ally.
    That comment was stunning. Obama once again disrespects our greatest ally, and worse, actually threatens them. That vote was all about sovereignty and self determination. Major tip of the cap to the British people for taking their country back. May others, including our own country, have the courage to follow.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,235
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

I see two potential paths. We can either try to retrain those lost in the tides of globalism and help them adjust to this new information technology economy we're in, or we can try to turn the clocks back to 1980 and bring back our manufacturing jobs by creating trade barriers so large the companies that stick around have no choice but to have a supply chain that consists of nothing but Americans.
    Far too narrow a view.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    Tequilla said:

"During my travels"

FO, T
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

It's the same shit, different day. The working class that voted for Brexit are the ones who will hurt the most with the results.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,374
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

It's the same shit, different day. The working class that voted for Brexit are the ones who will hurt the most with the results.
    If only they would take your advice
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    PurpleJ said:

At this point the EU is Germany's private fiefdom, why leave.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Can I get a link? I get all my news from Hardcore Huskie.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,521
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

At this point the EU is Germany's private fiefdom, why leave.
    More like Germany is the personal bailout machine for failing nations of EU. Having separate fiscal policies under a unified monetary policy sure is special!
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

That comment was stunning. Obama once again disrespects our greatest ally, and worse, actually threatens them. That vote was all about sovereignty and self determination. Major tip of the cap to the British people for taking their country back. May others, including our own country, have the courage to follow.
    Indeed, the British people should celebrate this incredible display of nationalism!

Should be a great time for the next 12-24 months before Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to secede and re-join the EU. All of this should be a cautionary tale for white trash Americans and Euro-trash nationalists alike: while the economic repercussions will be harsh across the board, it will be far worse for the working class (Race's fabled "vast middle.) Go ahead and put the noose around your own neck. You deserve it.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859

Tequilla said: