Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Foster Sarell, we got a shot with him?

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    guntlove said:

Jesus, Roadie... Generally you do the lord's work on these boards and you're often one of my favorite classy poasters, but this is some truly illogical and malinformed bullshit you're spouting here... Here are five reasons why.

1. As someone already pointed out... Enjoying the current success and keeping an eye towards the future is not, and never has been, mutually exclusive. That's a bizarre fucking argument.

2. Our OL has been a steaming barrel of monkey semen the last two years, and quite frankly, was pretty underwhelming during the preseason this year. They've really turned it on the last two games, but I think we can all agree that this came against Oregon and Stanford teams that can hardly be considered vintage by recent standards. So to me, the jury is still out on Strausser as an OL coach and developer of talent.

3. The jury is certainly in, however, on Strausser as a recruiter. Strausser couldn't recruit Spooge to a fucking NAMBLA rally. The OL numbers the last few years have not been good, 3 OL in 2015, 2 OL in 2016, and so far (with very few spots remaining) 0 OL in 2017. This is going to cause problems in the future, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

4. It's not just that Fozzy is probably going to The Farm (ILTCITF, IWILTD), but that we also whiffed on every other top OL target this year... Vera Tucker, Wyatt Davis, Forsyth etc.

5. Finally, hanging out around a recruiting message board, then judging and belittling the people who express strong opinions about the very topic the message board caters to, is some truly Grinolds'esque shit. Nobody was clamoring for your opinion on this subject, and if you're that offended that people are upset about OL recruiting, then you probably don't need to keep poasting.

Perhaps you could take advantage of this crisp fall Tuesday and enjoy a long walk on the beach instead. It's possible that as you breath in the salty air and listen to the gentle, ryhthmic crashing of the waves against the sun-baked sand, some perspective might very well be gained.

Just don't get any more sand in your vagina while you're there.

YES!
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    guntlove said:

3. The jury is certainly in, however, on Strausser as a recruiter. Strausser couldn't recruit Spooge to a fucking NAMBLA rally. The OL numbers the last few years have not been good, 3 OL in 2015, 2 OL in 2016, and so far (with very few spots remaining) 0 OL in 2017. This is going to cause problems in the future, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Oh, hey, look an unsubstantiated claim that is dubious, at best.

Petersen is in charge of how many OLs the team recruits and has on scholarship. I would prefer another couple slots be allocated to OL, but that is his prerogative and while I am uncomfortable with it, he has been doing this a while.

If we can agree that 2014 wasn't representative, then when you look at the perceived quality (based on star rating) of the OLs they got in the 2015 and 2016 classes...there isn't an issue.

Obviously the jury is still out on 2017.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It isn't that anybody is specifically advocating that Strausser be fired or suggesting that his OL isn't playing well ...

The point is that so far the evidence is suggesting that Strausser is having a hard time CLOSING on the recruits he has targeted ... WHY???

BTW, the last time we saw this was at the WR position and Brett Pease ... make a change to #MyBush and we've arguably got our best WR recruiting class in years

Biggest difference here is that Pease was a shitty recruiter and coach ... at this point we can really only conclude that Strausser may very well be a shitty recruiter but is at worst an average OL coach ... that makes Pease vs Strausser a very apples and oranges difference
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

It isn't that anybody is specifically advocating that Strausser be fired or suggesting that his OL isn't playing well ...

The point is that so far the evidence is suggesting that Strausser is having a hard time CLOSING on the recruits he has targeted ... WHY???

BTW, the last time we saw this was at the WR position and Brett Pease ... make a change to #MyBush and we've arguably got our best WR recruiting class in years

Biggest difference here is that Pease was a shitty recruiter and coach ... at this point we can really only conclude that Strausser may very well be a shitty recruiter but is at worst an average OL coach ... that makes Pease vs Strausser a very apples and oranges difference

Best OL in 16+ years and it's not even close.

Strausser is definitely good.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    AIRWOLF said:

As far as OL recruiting goes, my primary complaint at this point is more about numbers and class balance than quality. And the decisions on numbers are more of a Petersen thing than a Strausser thing, I think.

All ratings are from Scout

James 3-star
    Sosebee 2-star
    Turner 2-star
    Burleson 2-star
    McGary 4-star (don't know if the staff saw him as an OL or a DL, but he is an OL now)
    Class average: 2.6 stars

Obviously the quality in 2014 was disappointing, but Petersen and staff were left scrambling to fill up that class. Getting McGary was huge. Sosebee is contributing. The others are crap until proven otherwise. Probably about what you could expect at this stage from a class with a 2.6 star average.

Roberts 4-star
    Hilbers 3-star
    Adams 4-star
    Class average: 3.67 stars

Adams is a stud. Roberts and Hilbers haven't done anything yet, and Roberts is still 3rd string, but they are both RS-Freshmen. A little worrisome, but it is still early.

Harris 3-star (low 3-star, was probably a 2-star until UW offered)
    Wattenberg 4-star
    Class average: 3.5 stars

Harris has played and been effective, quite unexpectedly.

n/a

So the 2014 class was poor, from a perceived (and probably actual) talent perspective, but it isn't really a fair evaluation of Petersen or Strausser's recruiting.

In 2015 & 2016 combined, they signed five OLs, three of whom were 4-stars and two of whom were 3-stars. That is basically on par with the overall talent ranking of the rest of those classes, excluding kickers and long snappers.

2017...obviously anxities are high.

If we look at 2015 & 2016 as the only complete and fair data sets to evaluate, the recruiting at the OL position group isn't obviously deficient relative to the talent that is being brought in at other positions. Small sample size and all that, but there isn't really anything else to look at.

You are right. It is a very small sample size which is rarely acknowledged in our analysis of a game, a season, a recruiting class, or even a career.

If we got Eletise last year and AVT or Sarrell this year then everyone would be like Fonzie around here. But we did not, we will not, and we are not.

We laughed at Sark for always portraying his 7-6 teams as being just a few plays from 10 wins but technically that was true. These are small samples and narrow margins we are dealing with. The thing is though that Sark always ignored all the bounces that did go his way and all the deficiencies in his rosters that set us up for failure. Those saying that everything will be fine with the OL no matter who we recruit are using similarly fallacious reasoning.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    Doogles said:

I'm with @RoadDawg55 on this one.

A bunch of Doogman Grinolds followers are being exposed on this thread. Anyone who wants to get rid of Strausser because he's whiffed on some big names is fucking retarded. I see young talent emerging, great fundamentals, a vision, a plan, and the reality that once guys like Trey, Mcgeary, and yes Nick harris start receiving hardware and getting drafted the tide will turn with the more touted players.

We've only been good for 0.5 seasons. The lag effect will take hold and the Fosters and Garnetts of the world will come to UW.

Until then Pete is going to do what he's always done, take OKGs, win games, and get them playing on sundays.

I don't disagree with you, @doogles.

That said, #mybush didn't need a bunch of wideouts to get drafted or become All Americans before he went out and locked down a really solid class. Coffee is for closers, and you can either sell or you can't. If we're paying attention to trends... the OL recruiting hasn't been great the last few years - it may turn out to be nothing, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Besides the teen boi shit... I just haven't been that impressed with the coaching job Strausser's done to this point. Maybe the o-line really did turn a corner the last two weeks... but the previous two years it was a fucking liability. And while at other positions, you saw guys who were always dogshit suddenly turn into contributers, I haven't really noticed that happening on the OL.

He's had three years with Brostek, and that guy seems just as fucking useless as when Strausser got here. And I know linemen take longer to develop... but it'd be nice, after three years in the program, to see guys like Sosssebeeeee, James, or Turner (all guys Strausser recruited) flashing even a little.

That said, Adams and Mcgary have really been on point lately, and Strausser has to get some credit for that.

Anyhoo... Pete knows far more about this shit than I do, and he loves Strausser. And after we run the table and skullfuck Colorado (or whoever) in the championship game and Mcgeeary & Adams are both all-american's and Nick Harris suddenly looks like the second coming of Benji Olson, I'm gonna look like a fucking asshole. Time to go back to silent contemplation.

gunt.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    guntlove said:

Doogles said:

A bunch of Doogman Grinolds followers are being exposed on this thread. Anyone who wants to get rid of Strausser because he's whiffed on some big names is fucking retarded. I see young talent emerging, great fundamentals, a vision, a plan, and the reality that once guys like Trey, Mcgeary, and yes Nick harris start receiving hardware and getting drafted the tide will turn with the more touted players.

We've only been good for 0.5 seasons. The lag effect will take hold and the Fosters and Garnetts of the world will come to UW.

Until then Pete is going to do what he's always done, take OKGs, win games, and get them playing on sundays.

That said, #mybush didn't need a bunch of wideouts to get drafted or become All Americans before he went out and locked down a really solid class. Coffee is for closers, and you can either sell or you can't. If we're paying attention to trends... the OL recruiting hasn't been great the last few years - it may turn out to be nothing, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Besides the teen boi shit... I just haven't been that impressed with the coaching job Strausser's done to this point. Maybe the o-line really did turn a corner the last two weeks... but the previous two years it was a fucking liability. And while at other positions, you saw guys who were always dogshit suddenly turn into contributers, I haven't really noticed that happening on the OL.

He's had three years with Brostek, and that guy seems just as fucking useless as when Strausser got here. And I know linemen take longer to develop... but it'd be nice, after three years in the program, to see guys like Sosssebeeeee, James, or Turner (all guys Strausser recruited) flashing even a little.

That said, Adams and Mcgary have really been on point lately, and Strausser has to get some credit for that.

Anyhoo... Pete knows far more about this shit than I do, and he loves Strausser. And after we run the table and skullfuck Colorado (or whoever) in the championship game and Mcgeeary & Adams are both all-american's and Nick Harris suddenly looks like the second coming of Benji Olson, I'm gonna look like a fucking asshole. Time to go back to silent contemplation.

gunt.
    I'm less concerned about Brostek than Henry Roberts. What the fuck is Roberts' problem, and why is Harris seeing the field before him?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I will concede that the numbers look to be a problem. I forgot we only took 2 last year and none so far this year.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

I don't even really know how you can really evaluate OLine at a HS level. Most Dtackles in HS are fucking tiny. To me it should be more about getting some big strong fuckers to really coach up.

This

It is Doog 101 but it is also true - O line translates least well to college ball

Noted 7 wide out recruiting coach Rick Neuheisel brought in the top ranked class of O linemen one year. People forget that because they were all busts. The best of the bunch never played a down due to injury.

I'll take 5 stars any day but if a kid is 6 foot 5 300 pounds with a nasty attitude and a love of HGH we can work with him

Bama and Ohio State dominate recruiting at the D line, linebacker, running back and wide out categories. I'm all for joining in on that action.

You know what the big question mark for Bama this year was? The O line and quarterback

But Nick coaches them up every year.
    You know I respect your perspective of Husky football, being able to look back fifty years and all, but having a single counter example to Bama's (or any other top team) ol recruiting just isn't enough.

I usually could give a fuck about recruiting, but this is as much of a no-brainer as you could ask for.
    doogie said:

Fozzy = Nick Montana.

Value is in the hype

You must be functionally retarded in the medical sense.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    guntlove said:

Doogles said:

gunt.
    You mean that the two guys who look the best are both four stars? Holy shit, really!

(Sorry, that was for Roadie)
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Tallest midget.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,547
    Swaye's Wigwam

I will concede that the numbers look to be a problem. I forgot we only took 2 last year and none so far this year.

Bumper crop next year
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't even really know how you can really evaluate OLine at a HS level. Most Dtackles in HS are fucking tiny. To me it should be more about getting some big strong fuckers to really coach up.

This

It is Doog 101 but it is also true - O line translates least well to college ball

Noted 7 wide out recruiting coach Rick Neuheisel brought in the top ranked class of O linemen one year. People forget that because they were all busts. The best of the bunch never played a down due to injury.

I'll take 5 stars any day but if a kid is 6 foot 5 300 pounds with a nasty attitude and a love of HGH we can work with him

Bama and Ohio State dominate recruiting at the D line, linebacker, running back and wide out categories. I'm all for joining in on that action.

You know what the big question mark for Bama this year was? The O line and quarterback

But Nick coaches them up every year.
    You know I respect your perspective of Husky football, being able to look back fifty years and all, but having a single counter example to Bama's (or any other top team) ol recruiting just isn't enough.

I usually could give a fuck about recruiting, but this is as much of a no-brainer as you could ask for.
    doogie said:

Fozzy = Nick Montana.

Value is in the hype

You must be functionally retarded in the medical sense.
    The point in my Bama comparison is that even recruiting the cream every year on the O line it was their big question mark.

As always I'm playing chess

It's the hardest to evaluate as @CuntWaffle said.

You need raw materials and better living through chemistry has always been my point

Stanford has out recruited us on the O line for years.

UW with 8 sacks off a 4 man rush

• Options
    Doogles said:

guntlove said:

Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Tallest midget.
    Not really though. Agree the bar has been set pretty low for over a decade, but just look at the product on the field and form your own conclusions. The line moves as one, gets to their spots and delivers punishment.

The guys are young and mauling people. It's clicking.
    There's three guys who were four stars who are playing well; Harris, a three that has surprised; and then Sosebee, who they've managed to hide somehow. Everyone else sucks.

If you can't even make the best player to come out of the state since Miles Jack spurn an offer to suddenly shitty Stanford, you suck at your job.
  • Options
    Here comes the "let Pete corch em Pawwl" argument.

I would hate to see what Strausser could do with a couple top recruits every year instead of ASUs sloppy seconds.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

guntlove said:

Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Tallest midget.
    Not really though. Agree the bar has been set pretty low for over a decade, but just look at the product on the field and form your own conclusions. The line moves as one, gets to their spots and delivers punishment.

The guys are young and mauling people. It's clicking.
    There's three guys who were four stars who are playing well; Harris, a three that has surprised; and then Sosebee, who they've managed to hide somehow. Everyone else sucks.

If you can't even make the best player to come out of the state since Miles Jack spurn an offer to suddenly shitty Stanford, you suck at your job.
    So Petersen sucks.

Only doogs blame the assistants