Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Foster Sarell, we got a shot with him?

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

I hated Petersen until this year, but I can't bitch about an undefeated coach.

I swear to God, mental retardation must be contagious and all you motherfuckers in this cesspool have cross-contaminated yourselves.

AIRWOLF said:

I swear to God, mental retardation must be contagious and all you motherfuckers in this cesspool have cross-contaminated yourselves.

I like UW coaches only when they win. Why would I have liked him before?

• Options
    HuskiesADWHuskiesADW Member Posts: 141
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    doogville said:

So... are getting fozzy bear or not? Why am I paying my $10.95?

We are until we are not. A lot of things are going on behind the scenes and I cannot share my information yet. Thanks for the $10.95
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,993
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

This is such a retarded argument by Roadie.

Just take whomever. Straußer's and Pete's pecking order doesn't mean hardly anything, probably, right?

Upvote for the true spelling of the name.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Like I said. The shit is apparently contagious.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,547
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

@Dennis_DeYoung And @CokeGreaterThanPepsi, the fact that you guys actually make the argument that players matter is what is retarded. No fucking shit players matter. Is water wet too?

You want a coach that can recruit and coach? What a fucking novel concept. I want a QB like DeShaun Watson and a RB like Fournette, but I'm not going to complain about Browning and Gaskin.

Everyone here wants Sarrell. The retarded part of this is getting mad that we "might" not have a great OL three years from now when we have all the pieces needed to get to the playoffs THIS fucking year. We have the OL to win the conference THIS fucking year. But continue to spaz out over the OL coach because some teenager might not come to UW.

I hated Petersen until this year, but I can't bitch about an undefeated coach. I can't bitch about the OL coach of the best OL of the conference because he might not get Sarrell.

If we win big the next two years, recruiting will take care of itself. Winning helps. He's not committing for a long time anyways and we have an undefeated team. The future has always been for doogs.

You kinda get it, and kinda don't. Wanting to be good in two years AS WELL as this year is like two sides of the same fucking coin. Just because they patched bullshit and chicken wire together into a usable line this year has no bearing on whether they'd be able to do the same next year.
    Oddly enough our last conference champions had the same kind of O line

Tuff fuckers who "do what it takes"

If you know what I mean
  • Options
    KobeStanKobeStan Member Posts: 91
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

The last post I'll make about this for awhile because we obviously aren't going to agree.

The difference between the dogman "sky is not falling bullshit" is that we aren't .500 like we always were back then. We are undefeated and favored to win the rest of our games.

Our OL has gotten markedly better from last year, which normally means the coach is developing players. That didn't happen under Sark/Cozzetto. It has happened under Strausser and Pete. Coaches that develop their unit into the best in the conference deserve the benefit of the doubt. Simple fact.

So the sky isn't really falling, whether we get Sarrell or not. Any 5 star from the state is needed, but we might still have a good OL without Sarrell. That was never going to happen by not getting Garnett and the other guys Sark missed. If you can't see those differences, I can't help you. Things fucking change, and it's okay to admit it when they have.

@Gladstone, I followed TBS for years as a teenager and in my early 20's, but it's creepy to follow as a 30, 40 year old man. All is well for Husky Football right now.

But by the time you realize, "Oh no, our OL sucks again!" it is way too fucking late to fix it via better recruiting.

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Do you not believe the future can in any way be predicted?

It must be amazing to live your life. Wake up each day with boundless possibilities.
    Except for 1 year(the year after Kellen Moore) Boise St has had consistently excellent OLs. I think we can trust his recruiting at the position
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,717
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    KobeStan said:

The last post I'll make about this for awhile because we obviously aren't going to agree.

The difference between the dogman "sky is not falling bullshit" is that we aren't .500 like we always were back then. We are undefeated and favored to win the rest of our games.

Our OL has gotten markedly better from last year, which normally means the coach is developing players. That didn't happen under Sark/Cozzetto. It has happened under Strausser and Pete. Coaches that develop their unit into the best in the conference deserve the benefit of the doubt. Simple fact.

So the sky isn't really falling, whether we get Sarrell or not. Any 5 star from the state is needed, but we might still have a good OL without Sarrell. That was never going to happen by not getting Garnett and the other guys Sark missed. If you can't see those differences, I can't help you. Things fucking change, and it's okay to admit it when they have.

@Gladstone, I followed TBS for years as a teenager and in my early 20's, but it's creepy to follow as a 30, 40 year old man. All is well for Husky Football right now.

But by the time you realize, "Oh no, our OL sucks again!" it is way too fucking late to fix it via better recruiting.

AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

Do you not believe the future can in any way be predicted?

It must be amazing to live your life. Wake up each day with boundless possibilities.
    Except for 1 year(the year after Kellen Moore) Boise St has had consistently excellent OLs. I think we can trust his recruiting at the position
    I do trust CPand Strausser's ability to evaluate talent at the OL position.

The concern is that, for the second year in a row, it looks like they are going to miss out on nearly all their top targets.

Once they get to campus I also trust CP and Strausser to get the most out of their players. But I want an OLine that can win national championships not conference championships.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I don't even really know how you can really evaluate OLine at a HS level. Most Dtackles in HS are fucking tiny. To me it should be more about getting some big strong fuckers to really coach up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't even really know how you can really evaluate OLine at a HS level. Most Dtackles in HS are fucking tiny. To me it should be more about getting some big strong fuckers to really coach up.

This

It is Doog 101 but it is also true - O line translates least well to college ball

Noted 7 wide out recruiting coach Rick Neuheisel brought in the top ranked class of O linemen one year. People forget that because they were all busts. The best of the bunch never played a down due to injury.

I'll take 5 stars any day but if a kid is 6 foot 5 300 pounds with a nasty attitude and a love of HGH we can work with him

Bama and Ohio State dominate recruiting at the D line, linebacker, running back and wide out categories. I'm all for joining in on that action.

You know what the big question mark for Bama this year was? The O line and quarterback

But Nick coaches them up every year.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Fozzy = Nick Montana.

Value is in the hype
  • Options

This

It is Doog 101 but it is also true - O line translates least well to college ball

Noted 7 wide out recruiting coach Rick Neuheisel brought in the top ranked class of O linemen one year. People forget that because they were all busts. The best of the bunch never played a down due to injury.

I'll take 5 stars any day but if a kid is 6 foot 5 300 pounds with a nasty attitude and a love of HGH we can work with him

Bama and Ohio State dominate recruiting at the D line, linebacker, running back and wide out categories. I'm all for joining in on that action.

You know what the big question mark for Bama this year was? The O line and quarterback

That is a pretty hot take.

BAMA signed 12 Scout top300 players on the OL in the last five years. Six top100.

And it's not even about the stars. It is about signing the guys that CP and Strausser identify as our top targets.

If we whiff on our top 5 guys I don't give a flying fuck if the sixth guy is a 4* or a 2*.
  • Options
    doogie said:

Fozzy = Nick Montana.

Value is in the hype

And that is a scorching hot take.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2016
    As far as OL recruiting goes, my primary complaint at this point is more about numbers and class balance than quality. And the decisions on numbers are more of a Petersen thing than a Strausser thing, I think.

All ratings are from Scout

James 3-star
    Sosebee 2-star
    Turner 2-star
    Burleson 2-star
    McGary 4-star (don't know if the staff saw him as an OL or a DL, but he is an OL now)
    Class average: 2.6 stars

Obviously the quality in 2014 was disappointing, but Petersen and staff were left scrambling to fill up that class. Getting McGary was huge. Sosebee is contributing. The others are crap until proven otherwise. Probably about what you could expect at this stage from a class with a 2.6 star average.

Roberts 4-star
    Hilbers 3-star
    Adams 4-star
    Class average: 3.67 stars

Adams is a stud. Roberts and Hilbers haven't done anything yet, and Roberts is still 3rd string, but they are both RS-Freshmen. A little worrisome, but it is still early.

Harris 3-star (low 3-star, was probably a 2-star until UW offered)
    Wattenberg 4-star
    Class average: 3.5 stars

Harris has played and been effective, quite unexpectedly.

n/a

So the 2014 class was poor, from a perceived (and probably actual) talent perspective, but it isn't really a fair evaluation of Petersen or Strausser's recruiting.

In 2015 & 2016 combined, they signed five OLs, three of whom were 4-stars and two of whom were 3-stars. That is basically on par with the overall talent ranking of the rest of those classes, excluding kickers and long snappers.

2017...obviously anxities are high.

If we look at 2015 & 2016 as the only complete and fair data sets to evaluate, the recruiting at the OL position group isn't obviously deficient relative to the talent that is being brought in at other positions. Small sample size and all that, but there isn't really anything else to look at.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This

That is a pretty hot take.

BAMA signed 12 Scout top300 players on the OL in the last five years. Six top100.

And it's not even about the stars. It is about signing the guys that CP and Strausser identify as our top targets.

If we whiff on our top 5 guys I don't give a flying fuck if the sixth guy is a 4* or a 2*.
    Sounds like you lead a miserable and pathetic life and need to take a walk with your wife to get some perspective
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This thread is @DeadDogOnTheRoad at his finest ...

I don't disagree with having some levels of LIPO matters a bit here ...

I also agree with the point that @RaceBannon made that OL recruiting can be a giant crapshoot as it is the hardest to look forward on with regards to player development, weight room training, etc.

That being said when you're recruiting guys that are almost sure fire 1st round picks in the NFL with the right player development and some of them are located in the backyard .. you need to keep those kids at home ... and the reason why is because the surest way to make sure that you have a consistently high caliber team is to be dominant on both sides of the line.

The reality is that the numbers we've recruited on the OL aren't where they need to be in the years past and going forward. They are dangerously thin. You could probably get away with that if you are recruiting studs and have no issues with player development and depth. But if you're trying to get projects ready to play before they are ready the results can be a disaster.

There's nothing that can short circuit a talented team more than having a shit OL ... that's why people are worried because they can see that possibility down the road coming to fruition
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Yeah. It's a total crap shoot. Doesn't matter who you get.

The fact that all the top schools offer the same guys probably doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Yeah. It's a total crap shoot. Doesn't matter who you get.

The fact that all the top schools offer the same guys probably doesn't mean anything.
    You seem upset
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    Standard Supporter
    It's important to remember that UW only lost 1 OL after the 2015 season (Tifunga) and will lose only two after 2016 (Eldrenkamp and Brostek) so losing 2 means you replace their scholarships with 2 or 3 (can't remember if Kneip is on scholarship).

I think the staff will get Henry B (OT) and the Sacramento OG (Orlando Umana) with Sarrell TBD, which makes for 2 or 3 OL.