Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Any tips on quitting smoking?

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

..besides drinking bleach?

Cold turkey. Tried other ways and it didn't work. I was one cranky SOB for a week or more but I haven't smoked in almost 10 years.
    I'm not sure I've ever agreed with Sleddogg before, but I do here. You'll be looking to tear someone's head off for a few days, but if you power through it, you can quit - and without a drug with freaky side effects like Chantix, or weaning yourself with patches like you wean a dog.

If you decide you're going to do it, you can. Don't look for an excuse why you "need a smoke" on day 2. You don't. Once you quit, you'll wonder why you smoked butts in the first place. I smoked or chewed Copenhagen for over 20 years, and I haven't had a chew or smoke in 5 years, and never even think about having one now.

Those fucking things kill people, and there's no good buzz to justify the risk.
    so... You're saying it was a quality of buzz issue with you?
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    On day 2 right now. I hate everything and everyone. But still smoke free
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    'bout half way there, 332. Head down - power through.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,510
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I used a vape pen (not a shitty one from 7/11, spend $50 and get something decent) for a few months. Slowly reduced the nicotine until I quit that altogether.

Smoked for 10 years, close to a pack a day. Literally haven't had a drag of a cigarette since I decided to quit almost three years ago. If you can stick to cold turkey, more power to you, but if that's too tough, vape pens are a good alternative.
  • Options

I used a vape pen (not a shitty one from 7/11, spend $50 and get something decent) for a few months. Slowly reduced the nicotine until I quit that altogether.

Smoked for 10 years, close to a pack a day. Literally haven't had a drag of a cigarette since I decided to quit almost three years ago. If you can stick to cold turkey, more power to you, but if that's too tough, vape pens are a good alternative.

I thought about that. But decided it's the real thing or nothing. Just personal choice.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
  • Options
    edited March 2016

dflea said:

Sledog said:

Cold turkey. Tried other ways and it didn't work. I was one cranky SOB for a week or more but I haven't smoked in almost 10 years.
    I'm not sure I've ever agreed with Sleddogg before, but I do here. You'll be looking to tear someone's head off for a few days, but if you power through it, you can quit - and without a drug with freaky side effects like Chantix, or weaning yourself with patches like you wean a dog.

If you decide you're going to do it, you can. Don't look for an excuse why you "need a smoke" on day 2. You don't. Once you quit, you'll wonder why you smoked butts in the first place. I smoked or chewed Copenhagen for over 20 years, and I haven't had a chew or smoke in 5 years, and never even think about having one now.

so... You're saying it was a quality of buzz issue with you?
    What the fuck else would it be?
    topdawgnc said:

I believe you can do it.

No shame in using Chantix.

It's a pill. I didn't kill myself, much to @dflea disappointment.

I did kill a few hookers, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I lol'ed

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Have you murdered anyone yet? Pics?
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Have you murdered anyone yet? Pics?

No, but paid someone at the trump rally I went to with the money I would have used to smoke
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Cold turkey guy here going on 6 years. Grin and bear it. Still enjoy a cigar once in a blue moon. That is it.

I do miss entertaining my boys in public by rolling cans of Copenhagen snuff on the floor. Surefire way to get seated quickly in a family restaurant.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dflea said:

Just sack up and stop.

Stop pretending it's some impossible task. You don't need Chantix or gum or patches, just some willpower.

After 5 days, you should have the upper hand.

Spoken by someone who has never smoked anything but a fuckin clove in his life.

For Me it's easy peasy until it's drinkin time. And for those nights, its a nic tablet and an e-cig.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

dflea said:

Just sack up and stop.

Stop pretending it's some impossible task. You don't need Chantix or gum or patches, just some willpower.

For Me it's easy peasy until it's drinkin time. And for those nights, its a nic tablet and an e-cig.
    Not everyone is a pussy like you are, Sally.

I smoked Lucky Strikes or Camel non-filters and chewed Copenhagen.

Don't worry though, some day your balls will drop.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

salemcoog said:

dflea said:

Just sack up and stop.

I still get misty eyed over a camel straight. Best smoke ever
  • Options
    edited March 2016

dflea said:

salemcoog said:

dflea said:

Just sack up and stop.

God dammit uncle race&flea That's what I smoked.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

dflea said:

salemcoog said:

dflea said:

Just sack up and stop.

By a mile. 332 picked a tough smoke to leave behind.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Camel actually changed their cigarettes in 2008. The new ones didn't taste as good so I switched to Marbs. Lucky Strike filters are the best but you gotta go out of country to get them.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,762
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea,

It's that whole life experience thing. We do learn a few things getting older.