Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tony Bennett

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I'm in the middle of this argument as bennett is better than romar b/c he does much more with less. That being said, he hasn't done anything earth shattering either and I have to agree that bennett is not a fit at UW.

We? need to be honest about the players that come out of seattle and find a coach who would thrive with that type of player. Bennett isn't getting 80% of the guys Romar gets to come to UW b/c as TF said his brand of basketball is fucking boring and isn't tailored to their skills. If you want to slow the ball to a crawl to win games than more power to you, but it's going to be hard to win in the tourney, and it's going to be impossible to recruit to garfield/RB players.

There are lots of coaches out there with solid resume's who could have an uptempo offense with discipline on defense. Archie miller is still my favorite choice of coaches who could come in and take over a team and keep players. He has a resume of success, post season success, and plenty of credibility in the game.

All this is pointless as nobody in the AD past or future has the balls to fire romar. If 4 years out of the tourney(and likely 5) wasn't enough, now with all the talent the roster has there just isn't a person with a pair willing to remove him and admit 14 years is enough to be further than a sweet 16.

Agree, since Romar isn't going anywhere.

But if he was to be replaced, I like Archie Miller more than Bennett too.

You wanna talk about doing more with less. Miller has actually knocked off good teams when it counts, in the tourney. Not just winning some meaningless conference title and then doing shit in the tourney like Bennett.

Hiring Bennett would be like hiring Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson as the football HC to run the option. As cool as that sounds to purists, the option isn't winning shit in modern day football. Bennett's system is similarly outdated.

Bennett is a fucking loser. No wonder some of you love him.
    I don't think anyone here said they would hire him at UW, but he's far from a looser
    Did you not read the start of this thread?

FMB's poont is that you can fire Romar because Bennett would be a better hire.

I was replying to him when you decided to join in the conversation to fluff Bennett.

And yes, he's a fucking loser.

It's your world playa
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I'm in the middle of this argument as bennett is better than romar b/c he does much more with less. That being said, he hasn't done anything earth shattering either and I have to agree that bennett is not a fit at UW.

We? need to be honest about the players that come out of seattle and find a coach who would thrive with that type of player. Bennett isn't getting 80% of the guys Romar gets to come to UW b/c as TF said his brand of basketball is fucking boring and isn't tailored to their skills. If you want to slow the ball to a crawl to win games than more power to you, but it's going to be hard to win in the tourney, and it's going to be impossible to recruit to garfield/RB players.

There are lots of coaches out there with solid resume's who could have an uptempo offense with discipline on defense. Archie miller is still my favorite choice of coaches who could come in and take over a team and keep players. He has a resume of success, post season success, and plenty of credibility in the game.

All this is pointless as nobody in the AD past or future has the balls to fire romar. If 4 years out of the tourney(and likely 5) wasn't enough, now with all the talent the roster has there just isn't a person with a pair willing to remove him and admit 14 years is enough to be further than a sweet 16.

Agree, since Romar isn't going anywhere.

But if he was to be replaced, I like Archie Miller more than Bennett too.

You wanna talk about doing more with less. Miller has actually knocked off good teams when it counts, in the tourney. Not just winning some meaningless conference title and then doing shit in the tourney like Bennett.

Hiring Bennett would be like hiring Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson as the football HC to run the option. As cool as that sounds to purists, the option isn't winning shit in modern day football. Bennett's system is similarly outdated.

Bennett is a fucking loser. No wonder some of you love him.
    I don't think anyone here said they would hire him at UW, but he's far from a looser
    Did you not read the start of this thread?

FMB's poont is that you can fire Romar because Bennett would be a better hire.

I was replying to him when you decided to join in the conversation to fluff Bennett.

And yes, he's a fucking loser.

It's your world playa
    Great white flag, as always.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    After 6 years, the book is still being written on Bennett and if he can take his "first to 50" games in the regular season and make it work in the tourney

After 14 years, Romar's "first to 80" style does not work in the tourney (and has barely worked in a overall shitty Pac-12 during that stretch). I would NEVER pick Romar to win the NCAA BB tournament even if he had Duke/Carolina/Kentucky talent.

coaching wise Bennett>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Romar

recruiting wise, my belief is Tony would be able to attract the best kids from Seattle and Tacoma because they want to play for teams that win and get to the tourney and he would build that here.

But that's a dead point as it won't happen.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

HuskyInAZ said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Bennett has done jack shit in the NCAA tourney.

I think the OP asked for coaches 'better than Romar' and not coaches who have crushed the NCAAs.
    If he can't win in the tourney, what's the point?
    Get to the tourney? Iono. You're arguing against a phantom opponent, no one is disputing what you're saying.
    Fire Marshall Bill seems to think Bennett would be better than Romar.

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of Australians play a boring as fuck brand of bball so we? can still lose in the Sweet 16 is not a positive move.
    Let me get this straight. You think Romar is a better coach that Bennett?

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of undisciplined west coast guys play gym rat ball so we? can still miss out on a single fucking post season tournament is not a positive move.
    Bennett = boring brand, same results.

No thanks.
    Bennett's had a three year run of success in a conference where Romar's teams outside the B-Roy/Nate group would be lucky to finish 10th in any year

Can you imagine Romar in league of coaches including coach K, Roy Williams, Bennett, Boeheim, Diamond, and that's off the top of my head as I'm to lazy to look up who else might be in the ACC?
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    godawgst said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I think the OP asked for coaches 'better than Romar' and not coaches who have crushed the NCAAs.
    Get to the tourney? Iono. You're arguing against a phantom opponent, no one is disputing what you're saying.

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of Australians play a boring as fuck brand of bball so we? can still lose in the Sweet 16 is not a positive move.
    Let me get this straight. You think Romar is a better coach that Bennett?

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of undisciplined west coast guys play gym rat ball so we? can still miss out on a single fucking post season tournament is not a positive move.
    Bennett = boring brand, same results.

No thanks.
    Bennett's had a three year run of success in a conference where Romar's teams outside the B-Roy/Nate group would be lucky to finish 10th in any year

Can you imagine Romar in league of coaches including coach K, Roy Williams, Bennett, Boeheim, Diamond, and that's off the top of my head as I'm to lazy to look up who else might be in the ACC?
    Again, the middle man, but if bennett if your flag waiving hero you all have a lot of fucking problems. Has he done more with less, sure. Has he really done more than romar? That isn't a high bar.

I want more
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    Standard Supporter
    The more I read Freemefromthecloset's posts, the more I think he might be Kim Grinolds
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited February 2016

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

I like Romar's style five times better, but his teams get sloppy and have halfcourt breakdowns and can't beat a simple 2-3 zone way too often. Bennett is a much better coach, and he could probably recruit just as well in both Washington and elsewhere.

I had to look up his postseason records because I don't follow college bball closely, and while they aren't great, they aren't terrible. Virginia and Washington State didn't have that much elite talent. Klay Thompson? was probably his premier player. I think he could do better than Romar both regular season and postseason with the top ten or fifteen talent they have right now. He sure as hell wouldn't go five years without a tournament.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

if in 10 years tony bennett still hasn't advanced past the sweet 16, I will gladly admit I'm wrong. But for now you're being a fucktard
  • Options

The more I read Freemefromthecloset's posts, the more I think he might be Kim Grinolds

Sick burn.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

if in 10 years tony bennett still hasn't advanced past the sweet 16, I will gladly admit I'm wrong. But for now you're being a fucktard
    If he gets to 14 years he should be extended
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    1. If you think romar>bennett you are a fucking mook
    2. UVA only hasn't got past the sweet 16 because theyve ran into Michigan state 2 years in a row in that round, probably the only team outside of Cincy who says "bring it on motherfuckers" to UVAs physical, drag it out style. Once uva doesn't have to play a team full of lansing, Saginaw, flint and Detroit beasts, they'll get to the elite 8 or farther.
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

1. If you think romar>bennett you are a fucking mook
    2. UVA only hasn't got past the sweet 16 because theyve ran into Michigan state 2 years in a row in that round, probably the only team outside of Cincy who says "bring it on motherfuckers" to UVAs physical, drag it out style. Once uva doesn't have to play a team full of lansing, Saginaw, flint and Detroit beasts, they'll get to the elite 8 or farther.

Excuses, excuses.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Get with the program, you Bennett ball lickers. If it ain't Izzo, Coach K, Williams or Pitino, all coaches suck. Win it all or GTFO. Did I get that right, Tammy Faye?
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

Get with the program, you Bennett ball lickers. If it ain't Izzo, Coach K, Williams or Pitino, all coaches suck. Win it all or GTFO. Did I get that right, Tammy Faye?

No.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot. That's why no one has or will ever fill out a perfect bracket. Sometimes going 29-3, losing your best player to a wrist injury, and then having a bad game against a tom izzo coached team is bad luck. Bill self lost to a terrible stanford team 2 years ago (one of the worst sweet 16 times I've seen). He must suck as well.
    Are the same coaches usually there at the very end? yes. Which is why no one is saying he's coach k, izzo, calipari, etc. But he's damn good, and not even in the romar ballpark
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot. That's why no one has or will ever fill out a perfect bracket. Sometimes going 29-3, losing your best player to a wrist injury, and then having a bad game against a tom izzo coached team is bad luck. Bill self lost to a terrible stanford team 2 years ago (one of the worst sweet 16 times I've seen). He must suck as well.
    Are the same coaches usually there at the very end? yes. Which is why no one is saying he's coach k, izzo, calipari, etc. But he's damn good, and not even in the romar ballpark

Why are you making excuses for coaches that can't advance in the tourney?

You sound like a Romar supporter.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

dhdawg said:

Romar's problem isn't that he can't advance in the tourney...it's that he rarely even makes the fucking tourney. UW should be a tourney lock 3/4 years, with the 4th year as a bubble team.
  • Options
    ntxduck said:

dhdawg said:

Romar's problem isn't that he can't advance in the tourney...it's that he rarely even makes the fucking tourney. UW should be a tourney lock 3/4 years, with the 4th year as a bubble team.
    When has that ever been the case?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I generally enjoy Freeme challenging you doogs, but Bennett is a good coach. To even suggest Romar is in the same ballpark is pressing. Bennett hasn't done much in the tournament yet, but winning the ACC at Virginia against coaches like K, Williams, Pitino, Boeheim, etc means he's pretty fucking good.

The smart money is on him breaking through to an elite 8, final 4 in the next few years.