Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tony Bennett

Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Took WSU to an impressive level

He's won 2 straight ACC's according to the announcers on CBS today. UVgAy (lol) is usually at best a middle of the pack ACC team. They're definitely below Duke, UNC, and Syracuse, Maryland before they ditched, and no better than Wake Forest, BC, GT, NC St, and Clemson.

His system is boring as hell, but he wins.

It's a good name to throw in the face of Doogs when they ask for someone better. Remember him jackass? He coached for Wazzu.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bennett has done jack shit in the NCAA tourney.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

I think the OP asked for coaches 'better than Romar' and not coaches who have crushed the NCAAs.
    If he can't win in the tourney, what's the point?
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,911
    Standard Supporter
    I never thought about it before but Bennett is the absolute anti-Romar. I doubt you could find more polar opposite coaches in the NCAAs style-wise
  • Options
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

I think the OP asked for coaches 'better than Romar' and not coaches who have crushed the NCAAs.
    Get to the tourney? Iono. You're arguing against a phantom opponent, no one is disputing what you're saying.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Get to the tourney? Iono. You're arguing against a phantom opponent, no one is disputing what you're saying.
    Fire Marshall Bill seems to think Bennett would be better than Romar.

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of Australians play a boring as fuck brand of bball so we? can still lose in the Sweet 16 is not a positive move.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,447
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of Australians play a boring as fuck brand of bball so we? can still lose in the Sweet 16 is not a positive move.
    I miss the days when we(?)'d regularly make the torunament
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

Let me get this straight. You think Romar is a better coach that Bennett?

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of undisciplined west coast guys play gym rat ball so we? can still miss out on a single fucking post season tournament is not a positive move.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's like the regular season of college basketball actually matters.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZ said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

I disagree.

Watching a bunch of undisciplined west coast guys play gym rat ball so we? can still miss out on a single fucking post season tournament is not a positive move.
    Bennett = boring brand, same results.

No thanks.
  • Options
    Founders Club

HuskyInAZ said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

I disagree.

No thanks.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,872
    Bennett not a good fit at UW. Lesbo president would never hire competition for bi-/undecided females.

UVA frat boy/sorority girl culture way better for sexing it up.

• Options
    Gladstone said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

I disagree.

No thanks.
    No, I'm not drunk.

Please list the accomplishments that make Bennett an upgrade...I'll wait.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited January 2016

Gladstone said:

HuskyInAZ said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

I disagree.

I disagree.

No thanks.
    No, I'm not drunk.

Please list the accomplishments that make Bennett an upgrade...I'll wait.
    Please list the accomplishments of any D1 coach outside of Callipari, Coach K, izzo or Patino add Bo Ryan to this short list! You sound like a fucking idiot

#8 Tony Bennett, Virginia
    Record at Virginia: 136-64, 64-37 ACC

NCAA Tournament: 6-5

Number to note: Virginia’s record against the RPI top 50 has improved in each of the last five seasons from 0-6 to 2-6 to 4-3 to 5-4 to 8-3 in 2015.

Why he’s ranked here: The early NCAA Tournament exits in the last two seasons — both to Michigan State — will haunt Bennett, but the Cavaliers are coming off back-to-back 30-win seasons and ACC regular season titles despite lesser talent compared to teams like Duke, North Carolina and Louisville.

- See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-top-50-college-basketball-coaches-2015-16#sthash.uwj7D35n.dpuf
    http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-top-50-college-basketball-coaches-2015-16
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bennett = Beamer

Doog legend
  • Options

I'm in the middle of this argument as bennett is better than romar b/c he does much more with less. That being said, he hasn't done anything earth shattering either and I have to agree that bennett is not a fit at UW.

We? need to be honest about the players that come out of seattle and find a coach who would thrive with that type of player. Bennett isn't getting 80% of the guys Romar gets to come to UW b/c as TF said his brand of basketball is fucking boring and isn't tailored to their skills. If you want to slow the ball to a crawl to win games than more power to you, but it's going to be hard to win in the tourney, and it's going to be impossible to recruit to garfield/RB players.

There are lots of coaches out there with solid resume's who could have an uptempo offense with discipline on defense. Archie miller is still my favorite choice of coaches who could come in and take over a team and keep players. He has a resume of success, post season success, and plenty of credibility in the game.

All this is pointless as nobody in the AD past or future has the balls to fire romar. If 4 years out of the tourney(and likely 5) wasn't enough, now with all the talent the roster has there just isn't a person with a pair willing to remove him and admit 14 years is enough to be further than a sweet 16.

Agree, since Romar isn't going anywhere.

But if he was to be replaced, I like Archie Miller more than Bennett too.

You wanna talk about doing more with less. Miller has actually knocked off good teams when it counts, in the tourney. Not just winning some meaningless conference title and then doing shit in the tourney like Bennett.

Hiring Bennett would be like hiring Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson as the football HC to run the option. As cool as that sounds to purists, the option isn't winning shit in modern day football. Bennett's system is similarly outdated.

Bennett is a fucking loser. No wonder some of you love him.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited January 2016

I'm in the middle of this argument as bennett is better than romar b/c he does much more with less. That being said, he hasn't done anything earth shattering either and I have to agree that bennett is not a fit at UW.

We? need to be honest about the players that come out of seattle and find a coach who would thrive with that type of player. Bennett isn't getting 80% of the guys Romar gets to come to UW b/c as TF said his brand of basketball is fucking boring and isn't tailored to their skills. If you want to slow the ball to a crawl to win games than more power to you, but it's going to be hard to win in the tourney, and it's going to be impossible to recruit to garfield/RB players.

There are lots of coaches out there with solid resume's who could have an uptempo offense with discipline on defense. Archie miller is still my favorite choice of coaches who could come in and take over a team and keep players. He has a resume of success, post season success, and plenty of credibility in the game.

All this is pointless as nobody in the AD past or future has the balls to fire romar. If 4 years out of the tourney(and likely 5) wasn't enough, now with all the talent the roster has there just isn't a person with a pair willing to remove him and admit 14 years is enough to be further than a sweet 16.

You wanna talk about doing more with less. Miller has actually knocked off good teams when it counts, in the tourney. Not just winning some meaningless conference title and then doing shit in the tourney like Bennett.

Hiring Bennett would be like hiring Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson as the football HC to run the option. As cool as that sounds to purists, the option isn't winning shit in modern day football. Bennett's system is similarly outdated.

I don't think anyone here said they would hire him at UW, but he's far from a looser
  • Options

I don't think anyone here said they would hire him at UW, but he's far from a looser
    Did you not read the start of this thread?

FMB's poont is that you can fire Romar because Bennett would be a better hire.

I was replying to him when you decided to join in the conversation to fluff Bennett.

And yes, he's a fucking loser.