Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Woodward Sells the Couch

Comments

• SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club
    edited January 2016

Contingency fund? Already have one. Full faith and credit of the University of Washington and by extension, Washington State taxpayer.

That hasn't worked too well in the past. Budget shortfalls have resulted in dropped programs and layoffs in the past.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

Contingency fund? Already have one. Full faith and credit of the University of Washington and by extension, Washington State taxpayer.

Just ask WSU.

I'm concerned why Byrne would go from Miss St to Arizona though.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    What @Tequilla is talking about is that there was an accounting error in the Athletic Department that resulted in a budget shortfall as revenue did not meet their expectations. Apparently it wasn't a small shortfall either.

From what I've gathered it shouldn't be a long term issue, but someone fucked up and it hurt them this year and they had to cut back in some areas.

Yes, this is what I am hearing, don't twist.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    TommySQC said:

Just ask WSU.

I'm concerned why Byrne would go from Miss St to Arizona though.
    Why? Mississippi State is broke as fuck. Probably the smallest budget in the SEC. Not going to look it up but definitely bottom three.

Arizona is a much bigger job.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,704 Founders Club

What @Tequilla is talking about is that there was an accounting error in the Athletic Department that resulted in a budget shortfall as revenue did not meet their expectations. Apparently it wasn't a small shortfall either.

From what I've gathered it shouldn't be a long term issue, but someone fucked up and it hurt them this year and they had to cut back in some areas.

Stadium default?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Stadium default?
    I would expect the $$$ for this are one of the first things allocated and accounted for each year
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,568 Founders Club

doogville said:

This could be amazing if true, but I am very nervous about who we hire.

As Chest said, the guy I would target is Greg Byrne. If we could go from Woodward to Byrne it would be terrific.

This is the single biggest hire we(?) are going to make since we hired Tawd.... Fuck.....

Can you name 5 athletic directors without looking them up? Not including the ones we know of because they are awful (praise be pat Haden).

Like, why Greg Byrne? ASU hasn't exactly been a juggernaut.
    Arizona

He's a decent a.d. Now four people will probably jump in and give two reasons why he's awful and needs to die.
    Byrne would be an A+ hire.

-Nailed his football hires at UA and Mississippi State. (say what you want about Rich Rod that was a home run for UA.)

-Handled Miller when he flirted with other jobs. (Didn't kowtow but got the extension done.)

-Conducted coaching searches with professionalism and focus (no leaks and no dithering. UA fans call him the ninja.)

-Drastically increased the assistant coach salary pool for Rich Rod. (Casteel's salary was top 10 or 15 in the nation for a DC.)

-Likely put pressure on RichRod to make changes on defense. (I don't think Rich Rod would fire his buddy of his own volition.)

-Pushed strongly for facilities upgrades for football.

-Proficient with both social media and traditional media.

-Young and experience in SEC country (gets it. Football first.)

-From the NW so Seattle might be appealing. Born in Pocatello and worked at Oregon for awhile.
    I really haven't followed him that closely, but he does seem to get it. I don't think he hired Miller, but he did hire RichRod. Like I've said, RR ok for a basketball school. He's clearly capable of winning the South and possibly making a Rose Bowl which would be a first.

He does a lot of radio interviews with the local guys and he seems smart, savvy, and on top of things. He's also upgraded football facilities and as far as I know the Olympic sports are doing fine.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,568 Founders Club
    Does anyone know if Pac 12 Network revenue is supppsed to increase much? I'm not near a computer right now and f looking it up on a phone. That would help.

We're still way behind the Big 12 and SEC in that area.
    I can't imagine the PAC Network will see an uptick as long as they have no deal w DirecTV
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,480

digits said:

6.9 seconds start now.

The Aggie money guys don't fuck around. Woody better have a golden parachute.

Weren't you the one saying those Tejas BIG BOYS would never hire Woodward?
    I don't believe that's what I said. I said he wouldn't last. 6.9 seconds if you are literal motherfucker, so let me know when the clock starts ticking.

They will fuck him raw. And smile about it.

Texas Forevah!

Huh?

PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber
    January 5

Y'all are insane if you think a big time Texas school is going to hire Woody. Those good ol' boys are serious as a heart attack about winning. There are dozens of Buddy Gerety's at aTm and UT.

They write big checks and want someone to wants to win more than breathing.

Woody would get spit out in 6.9 seconds.
    Flag Quote · Vote Down Vote Up WTF Awesome · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter"
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,682 Standard Supporter
    digits said:

digits said:

6.9 seconds start now.

The Aggie money guys don't fuck around. Woody better have a golden parachute.

Weren't you the one saying those Tejas BIG BOYS would never hire Woodward?
    I don't believe that's what I said. I said he wouldn't last. 6.9 seconds if you are literal motherfucker, so let me know when the clock starts ticking.

They will fuck him raw. And smile about it.

Texas Forevah!

Huh?

PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber
    January 5

Y'all are insane if you think a big time Texas school is going to hire Woody. Those good ol' boys are serious as a heart attack about winning. There are dozens of Buddy Gerety's at aTm and UT.

They write big checks and want someone to wants to win more than breathing.

Woody would get spit out in 6.9 seconds.
    Flag Quote · Vote Down Vote Up WTF Awesome · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter"
    At least someone reads my plagiarism shit fucko.

Good work.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    You guys aren't seeing the forest through the trees.

Mike and Colleen Bellotti are tanned, lubed, rested and ready!!!!
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,000 Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

Tequila... Bullet points motherfucker.

I was about to give this an awesome vote but then I saw the 4 Bama avatars and didn't want to ruin the perfection of your post. That and I'm too fat and lazy to change my own avatar.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,000 Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

You guys aren't seeing the forest through the trees.

Mike and Colleen Bellotti are tanned, lubed, rested and ready!!!!

Pics?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    PurpleJ said:

Tequila... Bullet points motherfucker.

The rare 4-peat Bama Upawesome hammer! If I knew how to SS it I would!
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

That hasn't worked too well in the past. Budget shortfalls have resulted in dropped programs and layoffs in the past.
    Both schools have chosen this path. All that's left to do is to let it play out.
    New administration just started - the release thanking Woodward for his service to UW was vanilla termination thank you for your service letter 101
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744
    Tequilla said:

I can't imagine the PAC Network will see an uptick as long as they have no deal w DirecTV

Blayen said:

If Woodward were being fired then I might hold out hope of a good hire.

Since the current UW Admin liked what Woodward was doing, we will get more of the same (or worse).

Expect race/gender/sexuality to be the first consideration. Work ability will be secondary. A political correct hire will give them lots of Atta Boy's from the other left coast universities which is what they covet most.

The best we can hope for is that through some twist of fate the politically correct hire actually turns out to have some ability and desire to win.

Yeah ok the biggest job at one of the biggest universities in the country won't be based on (perceived) talent.

Could you be any more old, rich, and white?
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Blayen said:

If Woodward were being fired then I might hold out hope of a good hire.

Since the current UW Admin liked what Woodward was doing, we will get more of the same (or worse).

Expect race/gender/sexuality to be the first consideration. Work ability will be secondary. A political correct hire will give them lots of Atta Boy's from the other left coast universities which is what they covet most.

The best we can hope for is that through some twist of fate the politically correct hire actually turns out to have some ability and desire to win.

Yeah ok the biggest job at one of the biggest universities in the country won't be based on (perceived) talent.

Could you be any more old, rich, and white?

Seriously? I guess it depends on what you mean when you say talent.

The "search" for a new University President based on "talent" yielded this:

It's 2016. Performance is secondary to political correctness particularly within the public education system.