Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Texas A&M AD resigns....

13»

Comments

• theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,799 Founders Club
    Let me get this straight.....

In Haiku

Woodward aint that bad
    Woodward aint that good either
    Ringing endorsement?
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,964
    Its pure comedy reading some of the apologies for Pool Boy. He was directly involved with the AD department when Ty was kept...he was appointed as "VP of External Affairs", which was basically working with the athletic department trying to get get govt money for the stadium (he also failed at that...). He apparently let a raging alcoholic run rampant in the athletic department for years (I've defended Sarknado in the past but I didn't realize how much of a trainwreck his personal life was). On the sports nobody cares about he's had a mess with women's crew, he couldn't keep our women's volleyball Wooden equivalent, etc., etc....

And he needs a booster seat to see over the railing when sitting at the games.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
    Other picture that came to mind.
  • LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,675 Standard Supporter

Its pure comedy reading some of the apologies for Pool Boy. He was directly involved with the AD department when Ty was kept...he was appointed as "VP of External Affairs", which was basically working with the athletic department trying to get get govt money for the stadium (he also failed at that...). He apparently let a raging alcoholic run rampant in the athletic department for years (I've defended Sarknado in the past but I didn't realize how much of a trainwreck his personal life was). On the sports nobody cares about he's had a mess with women's crew, he couldn't keep our women's volleyball Wooden equivalent, etc., etc....

And he needs a booster seat to see over the railing when sitting at the games.

Good point. Pool boy gets shit on 11 months out of the year on this board - Failed in numerous areas like you mentioned above - but once there is a threat of the unknown if he is gone - half of these poasters backtrack and say he's not that bad. Fucking hilarious.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    I'm guessing what Tequila's referring to with Romar is the Seattle basketball politics. I admit it would be a tough move when guys like Will, Broy, Crawford, etc., are so influential in the local basketball scene and are all tight with Romar. It could get dicey. But hire a coach that fucking wins and that would take care of itself. I remember when Babs fired Bender, people were worried it was a bad move because you might lose Brandon Roy. Just hire a fucking good coach and kids will want to come here.

As far as Woody, he is from that part of the country and if I were him I'd jump on it. But if Michael Young consulted his 3 wives and thinks Pool Boy is the best candidate for their job, he's a fucking moron and I wouldn't miss him one bit.

But part of me worries about the libtards on upper campus including our dyke president. They'd probably hire Tawd Turner back if they could.
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,163

Y'all are insane if you think a big time Texas school is going to hire Woody. Those good ol' boys are serious as a heart attack about winning. There are dozens of Buddy Gerety's at aTm and UT.

They write big checks and want someone to wants to win more than breathing.

Woody would get spit out in 6.9 seconds.

Then why the fuck did Texas hire Steve Patterson?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Tequilla said:

He hired 7 win Sark and got lucky so he hired 7 win Pete

Great fucking job

The stadium sucks, the program is a sellout, a and the team still sucks

He kept Ty around to ensure 0-12

Hate to see worse.

This is the kind of post where sound and fury doesn't match reality.

Tyrone was retained after 2007 by Tawdy and Emmert. Tawdy lost his job over this. Woodward was not directly responsible for anything in the Athletic Department at the point the decision was made. As an interim AD beginning in January 2008, he wasn't going to have the authority to change the decision that was already made. He was not made AD until September 2008.

The decision to keep Tyrone around for 0-12 is really disingenuous. Could he have completely removed him from the program. Yes. Should he have. Tough call. If he had the decision to do it all over again, probably would do so. But let's also be honest that 0-12 was as much about Locker getting hurt as anything else. The team sucked and it's clear that everybody quit on not only Tyrone, but the entire staff. It was a dumpster fire period. The difference between 0-12 and 1-11 really isn't anything more than the symbolism of not winning a game period.

One of the biggest problems during the Tyrone years was we completely lost the ability to recruit in SoCal. Say what you want about Seven Win Steve, but Sark did get us re-established in SoCal recruiting and that has paid dividends going forward. What we will never know about Woodward is whether or not he would have had the stones to fire Sark after 2013.

The stadium is actually fine ... there's nothing that bad about it. It's easy in/out. The sight lines for the field are solid. They messed up a few things here and there (some more fixable than others). The in-game environment is a complete joke and should be an embarrassment to the entire Athletic Department. This is the one area where their lack of pulse on their fan and alumni base is very evident.

I question his decision to not fire Romar. I also hear reasons why that may be the case. It's not a great situation to be in. But at the same time, it's also a position that he's allowed the situation to get to by not being more forward thinking.

Bottom line is he's been in the position for 8 years now. He's done some good. He's done some bad. If I was in his shoes, I might be interested in taking a position that offered a new set of challenges. If I was the UW, I might be interested in finding some different voices in the Athletic Department to help turn around some of their current shortcomings.
    I'm interested in hearing the reasons for keeping Romar. I give a fuck about basketball but even from a distance, I can tell you Romar's not good.
    Starting with basketball, attendance was piss poor last year and has been so so this year. Add to that a very lackluster year for football attendance and what could be some lower initial renewal numbers.

Add all of that up and you could be looking at a situation where there's a decent revenue shortfall for the UW to cover by finding ways to shave some expenses as the debt servicing doesn't go anywhere.

As such, probably very difficult to assume that UW will be in the market of buying out a fairly lengthy and expensive contract like Romar's.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    How exactly did Romar get that expensive iron clad lifetime contract anyway?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,633 Standard Supporter

Y'all are insane if you think a big time Texas school is going to hire Woody. Those good ol' boys are serious as a heart attack about winning. There are dozens of Buddy Gerety's at aTm and UT.

They write big checks and want someone to wants to win more than breathing.

Woody would get spit out in 6.9 seconds.

Then why the fuck did Texas hire Steve Patterson?
    Patterson got spit out, eh?