Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Matt Calkins: Why the Huskies need Lorenzo Romar

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

There's more good than bad with what Pete has done ... he hasn't been perfect the last 2 years for sure. He could have perhaps won a few more games by compromising his long term vision. In the end, does it really matter given the last 2 years weren't conference winning caliber teams given the QB play?

You'd be easier to talk to if you weren't constantly regurgitating Pool Boy talking poonts.

8-10 means he has been more bad than good.

HTH
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'll be the first to say I have no fucing clue if he makes it at UW, but to even place romar on CP's level is an embarrassment to CP.

Pro tip: CCCP is going to make it at UW.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    edited January 2016
    Agree w/Tequila that one-and-dones (and some two-and-dones) have been terrible for the program and set it back. The two other areas we suck at are 1. Recruiting real Point Guards, versus converting shooting guards, and 2. Recruiting 7 footers who play like middle-schoolers. Having Abdul-Gaddy, Williams-Goss (good player, bad point guard), and even Andrews (good player, below average point guard) bringing the ball up makes us look like we're in slow motion compared to our competition, and 7-Footer project guys like Njaye (sp.) are painful to watch & not ready for prime time.
    Hiring Conroy on staff was a good move. Should help with recruiting and brings Brandon Roy and other local NBA vets down to Hec-Ed a lot to help out.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,812
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Agree w/Tequila that one-and-dones (and some two-and-dones) have been terrible for the program and set it back. The two other areas we suck at are 1. Recruiting real Point Guards, versus converting shooting guards, and 2. Recruiting 7 footers who play like middle-schoolers. Having Abdul-Gaddy, Williams-Goss (good player, bad point guard), and even Andrews (good player, below average point guard) bringing the ball up makes us look like we're in slow motion compared to our competition, and 7-Footer project guys like Njaye (sp.) are painful to watch & not ready for prime time.
    Hiring Conroy on staff was a good move. Should help with recruiting and brings Brandon Roy and other local NBA vets down to Hec-Ed a lot to help out.

Does that mean Garfield High School's recruiting slush fund will take a hit?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @Throbber: I'm not following you. I'm familiar with the Tony Wroten situation, transfers, faux transfers, etc. But if you're alleging cash-in-cups, do tell. I don't know about that. But shit man, this thread's about Romar. Why hijack it & make it about Garfield? I'm sure there'll be threads on that stuff shortly.
  • Options

@Throbber: I'm not following you. I'm familiar with the Tony Wroten situation, transfers, faux transfers, etc. But if you're alleging cash-in-cups, do tell. I don't know about that. But shit man, this thread's about Romar. Why hijack it & make it about Garfield? I'm sure there'll be threads on that stuff shortly.

Everybody likes Starbucks cups in AAU.

And you are correct. Now that Bellevue is out in the light of day, Garfield most deservedly is in the que. After Beach.
  • Options
    @PurpleThrobber: I await your decryption, then.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Here's the takeaways from this article:

Of course, this column wouldn’t be necessary if there were no controversy about whether Romar is still fit for the job. The 57-year-old is the only active Pac-12 coach to have missed the Big Dance in four consecutive seasons (and during this streak the Pac-12 has been the 2nd worst conf. of the power 5. Not like he's running a gauntlet of NC/Duke/Virginia/Maryland/etc each season to play thru)

Before Romar was hired, no Washington basketball coach had taken the team to more than three NCAA tournaments. Romar has gone to six in the past 13 years. (and most never had a Pac-12 tourney to use as a way to get in. For sure 1 maybe 2 of teams that got it would not have without winning the Pac-12 tourney. Take those away and now it's only 4 or 5 out of 13 years)

UW treats men's BB like Mariner's ownership treats product on field:

Don't completely suck, don't be an embarrassment. Anything above that is a bonus.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

And there you have it. He gets great recruits (true), and has gotten 13 players to the NBA (true). I look at both of those facts as more of indictment of him then a positive. Name one coach who put 13 players in the NBA in a 12 year span and only managed to even make the dance at a .500 clip?

So can we demote him to assistant HC and recruiting coordinator, and get a guy that knows how to coach?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    godawgst said:

Here's the takeaways from this article:

Of course, this column wouldn’t be necessary if there were no controversy about whether Romar is still fit for the job. The 57-year-old is the only active Pac-12 coach to have missed the Big Dance in four consecutive seasons (and during this streak the Pac-12 has been the 2nd worst conf. of the power 5. Not like he's running a gauntlet of NC/Duke/Virginia/Maryland/etc each season to play thru)

Before Romar was hired, no Washington basketball coach had taken the team to more than three NCAA tournaments. Romar has gone to six in the past 13 years. (and most never had a Pac-12 tourney to use as a way to get in. For sure 1 maybe 2 of teams that got it would not have without winning the Pac-12 tourney. Take those away and now it's only 4 or 5 out of 13 years)

UW treats men's BB like Mariner's ownership treats product on field:

Don't completely suck, don't be an embarrassment. Anything above that is a bonus.

You can't take away a tourney for the conference tournament champion years without adding one back for the conference champ that didn't make the tournament.

And yes, he still sucks.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
  • Options
    Thump said:

Swaye said:

And there you have it. He gets great recruits (true), and has gotten 13 players to the NBA (true). I look at both of those facts as more of indictment of him then a positive. Name one coach who put 13 players in the NBA in a 12 year span and only managed to even make the dance at a .500 clip?

So can we demote him to assistant HC and recruiting coordinator, and get a guy that knows how to coach?
    In the old days, a shitty well-liked coach like LoRo would have been kicked over into university relations or fundraising where he could still sport the cool gear, hit the links and press some flesh while saving face.

I still like to call him LoRo as a shout out to the BRoy era where even a blind monkey (no racist crap) could roll it out and win games with that talent.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

I know this year recruiting class isn't a Kentucky class, but it isn't in a different solar system from one of theirs either. Number 6 in the nation. Think Coach K or Calipari would have lost to Santa Barbara with this team?

Izzo would have had a couple Final Fours with the teams Romar has had...and made the dance like 10 out of twelve years. I firmly believe that.

Fire Romar.

I'd be okay with him at the helm as long as he hires some real coaches and lets them run practices and games. Let him recruit and be the face of the program.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

If you don't like Romar, you should hate Petersen.

HTH.

#WeWereAFootballSchool

Apples and Oranges

We get it that you don't like Pete.

You don't need to hijack every thread to beat your chest to that fact. We get it.
    I'll stop if everyone else stops sucking off Mr. 8-10 fucking loser coach Pete.

Deal?
    If you're just here to beat your chest you won't last long

Anyone notice that this site is going full doog all day all the time?
    Mods? Devs? Investors?
  • Options

Everybody likes Starbucks cups in AAU.

And you are correct. Now that Bellevue is out in the light of day, Garfield most deservedly is in the que. After Beach.
    You sound bitter.

Shoulda been a Viking!
  • Options
    TTJ said:

I'll be the first to say I have no fucing clue if he makes it at UW, but to even place romar on CP's level is an embarrassment to CP.

Pro tip: CCCP is going to make it at UW.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147

Tequilla said:

I don't think that the writer had a single tangible thought in the entire article ...

For those that use the whole "what was the program before Romar" argument in looking at relevance ... how many people are showing up to watch the games now? In other words, they aren't relevant now. So what Romar has really done is taken a program from irrelevant, made it somewhat relevant, pushed his chips into the middle for one and done guys, failed, and now has turned the program relatively irrelevant again.

Sounds like Petersen, minus the "somewhat relevant" moment...
    And just in the event you're being half serious, CP has put more guys in the nfl than most elite programs and actually won more BCS games than 95% of elite top 5 conference programs. I'll be the first to say I have no fucing clue if he makes it at UW, but to even place romar on CP's level is an embarrassment to CP. At least he has taken a lot less talent, made it better and actually won games. Where as Romar has taken far superior talent, middled or worse, and won nothing resembling a big game in his career.
    Romar has put a lot of players into the NBA relative to most power 5 programs. Now you are saying having had NFL talent makes Pete good. But that was listed earlier as a reason why Romar sucks. Can't have it both ways.

Nobody fucking cares what Pete did at Boise junior college anymore. So far he is a total failure at UW. However, Romar has had some highlights at the Pac-12 level (conference championships, tournament runs). Levels of success Pete hasn't even sniffed while coaching at the big boy table.

That is pretty fucking sad when you think about it. Romar is better than Petersen. And Romar should be coaching at some private 1A church high school at best.

But, as always, I support coach Romar.
    Jesus Christ you're dumb.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

I don't think that the writer had a single tangible thought in the entire article ...

For those that use the whole "what was the program before Romar" argument in looking at relevance ... how many people are showing up to watch the games now? In other words, they aren't relevant now. So what Romar has really done is taken a program from irrelevant, made it somewhat relevant, pushed his chips into the middle for one and done guys, failed, and now has turned the program relatively irrelevant again.

Sounds like Petersen, minus the "somewhat relevant" moment...
    And just in the event you're being half serious, CP has put more guys in the nfl than most elite programs and actually won more BCS games than 95% of elite top 5 conference programs. I'll be the first to say I have no fucing clue if he makes it at UW, but to even place romar on CP's level is an embarrassment to CP. At least he has taken a lot less talent, made it better and actually won games. Where as Romar has taken far superior talent, middled or worse, and won nothing resembling a big game in his career.
    Romar has put a lot of players into the NBA relative to most power 5 programs. Now you are saying having had NFL talent makes Pete good. But that was listed earlier as a reason why Romar sucks. Can't have it both ways.

Nobody fucking cares what Pete did at Boise junior college anymore. So far he is a total failure at UW. However, Romar has had some highlights at the Pac-12 level (conference championships, tournament runs). Levels of success Pete hasn't even sniffed while coaching at the big boy table.

That is pretty fucking sad when you think about it. Romar is better than Petersen. And Romar should be coaching at some private 1A church high school at best.

But, as always, I support coach Romar.
    Jesus Christ you're dumb.
    Ok, answer a simple question: what is Petersen's biggest accomplishment at UW thus far?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Rebuilding the fence. Mostly.