Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bargain couch season is quickly approaching

Comments

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2015
    NEsnake12 said:

Mathis should be a 270+ pound DE in a 3-4. He's slow enough as a DE. Maybe he ran a decent 40, but he has very little quickness. He would be a disaster at Buck.

Dennis convinced me that he might be decent, but I always thought he kind of sucked. He was too small to play DT and too slow to play DE. No redshirt year either and now he will either wash out or just start to get good late in his senior year.

Exactly, he's a tweener with his size. I saw him lifting at the IMA at some point last year, and the dude is an absolute fucking monster... pushing more weight than anyone I've ever seen. He was clearly trying to add size, but as we can see there's not been much improvement. So either his frame just isn't built to get bigger than he already is, or just can't break a plateau of weight without getting fat and getting even slower.
    The intercolliate gym
    NEsnake12 said:

There was a couple day stretch during early spring quarter last year where a ton of football players used the IMA weight room, I'm guessing because there was maintenance at the football weight room or something like that. Me talking about seeing Mathis lift in particular was because he was far and away the strongest of the bunch I saw there, lowest BF% too. The point is that he's likely reached his non-roid plateau for his frame, so like DDY said he's trying to be a weight room monster without getting fat and slower all to keep his BUCK dreams alive.

And saying "thats not his position" is fucking blind... had someone claimed they think Feeney will be BUCK this time last year y'all would've said the same thing and look how that turned out. This coaching staff isn't shy about moving players positions on defense.

Gaines and Qualls will start at NT/DT for sure, and there's a fuckton of young depth all around that DLine. Mathis should get a shot to compete with Potato and Wooching (lol) for that starting role during spring while the younger DL guys get reps (Dissly/Johnson/Scrempos/etc), and if it's clear that he can't beat Wooching or a rFR then he'll give up that dream and move back to DE. But he clearly still thinks he can win that job, which is why he hasn't just gotten bigger.

I call bull shit, unless things are really going fucking down hill there
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I've also seen UW football players at the IMA on occasion. Doesn't mean much, if anything.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,298
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Football is littered with dudes who were workout monsters but couldn't do shit on an actual field.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    whlinder said:

Football is littered with dudes who were workout monsters but couldn't do shit on an actual field.

Shitstek.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Reading between the lines, it sounds like Mathis thinks he can be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL but it's just not in the cards.

In my eyes, Mathis has potential to be an above average in a lot of areas but hasn't shown much in terms of being a dominant pass-rusher or beast against the run. If he's so far down the road in his thinking he should be a stand-up rusher, he should probably transfer to San Diego State or Fresno State.

There's also the possibility Dissly and Jaylen Johnson get a lot more snaps in 2016 while Benning Potoa'e, Ricky McCoy, Bryce Sterk, and Justiss Warren take off their redshirts.

I also wonder if Gaines ends up taking over for Tupou and then Jaylen Johnson and Dissly compete with Mathis for his DE spot. Gaines is our 2nd best DL now and we need to get him on the field more now Qualls is back at NT and Tupou is gone.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Forgot about this guy taking off his RS...he's a big boy now...similar frame to Evan Hudson:

gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209874732&DB_OEM_ID=30200
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HFNY said:

Forgot about this guy taking off his RS...he's a big boy now...similar frame to Evan Hudson:

Dream scenario is that Scrempos turns into our poor mans version of Calais Campbell at the 3-4 DE spot by the time he's a Junior/Senior. I don't think he'll break into the rotation much next year, but given another year of sizing up into his 6'6 frame he can be pretty damn good.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    NEsnake12 said:

HFNY said:

Dream scenario is that Scrempos turns into our poor mans version of Calais Campbell at the 3-4 DE spot by the time he's a Junior/Senior. I don't think he'll break into the rotation much next year, but given another year of sizing up into his 6'6 frame he can be pretty damn good.
    Scrempos is a boss. If PK is the coach we think he is and Malloe steps in and does what he should, Scrempy should be an All Pac-12 player.

I really like him.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah my point was mostly that Mathis better either step it up because other guys will pass him or he'll take the easy way out and transfer to Fresno State or San Diego State for less competition as a stand-up pass rusher.

Even in fall ball, Benning Potoa'e looked like the heir-apparent at Buck....at least better as a stand-up guy than Mathis (being longer, bigger, and a better overall athlete).
    NEsnake12 said:

HFNY said:

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

NEsnake12 said:

HFNY said:

Scrempos is a boss. If PK is the coach we think he is and Malloe steps in and does what he should, Scrempy should be an All Pac-12 player.

I really like him.
    Are you sure about that? Have you seen a picture?
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Scrempos had shoulder surgery a few weeks back, he's really big.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I really want to give you a heart but will refrain lest it be misinterpreted.

NEsnake12 said:

HFNY said:

I really like him.
    Are you sure about that? Have you seen a picture?
    If you're going to be white, have size. That's all I ask.
    Agree
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,502
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

• Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

whlinder said:

String?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Scrempos had shoulder surgery a few weeks back, he's really big.

Digging in the trash for medical records again?
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds like Mathis thinks he can be a 10+ sack guy in the NFL but it's just not in the cards.

In my eyes, Mathis has potential to be an above average in a lot of areas but hasn't shown much in terms of being a dominant pass-rusher or beast against the run. If he's so far down the road in his thinking he should be a stand-up rusher, he should probably transfer to San Diego State or Fresno State.

There's also the possibility Dissly and Jaylen Johnson get a lot more snaps in 2016 while Benning Potoa'e, Ricky McCoy, Bryce Sterk, and Justiss Warren take off their redshirts.

I also wonder if Gaines ends up taking over for Tupou and then Jaylen Johnson and Dissly compete with Mathis for his DE spot. Gaines is our 2nd best DL now and we need to get him on the field more now Qualls is back at NT and Tupou is gone.

Would they ever go back to or play some 4-3 w/ Qualls and Gaines on DL? It would take 5 ol just to move those guys off the line. IMO you want those two on the field at the same time.