Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Bargain couch season is quickly approaching

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2015
    Mathis should be a 270+ pound DE in a 3-4. He's slow enough as a DE. Maybe he ran a decent 40, but he has very little quickness. He would be a disaster at Buck.

Dennis convinced me that he might be decent, but I always thought he kind of sucked. He was too small to play DT and too slow to play DE. No redshirt year either and now he will either wash out or just start to get good late in his senior year.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Mathis should be a 270+ pound DE in a 3-4. He's slow enough as a DE. Maybe he ran a decent 40, but he has very little quickness. He would be a disaster at Buck.

Dennis convinced me that he might be decent, but I always thought he kind of sucked. He was too small to play DT and too slow to play DE. No redshirt year either and now he will either wash out or just start to get good late in his senior year.

I don't agree that he always sucked and I massively disagree that he's not quick. His problem is bulk. I don't even think he's a tweener.

He's a guy who has a big frame who easily could be a 270 DE. He has natural power and explosion.

But it's hard to overpower dudes when you are 245 and don't give a shit about playing DE.

I have heard that basically he just wants to rely on talent and not work. It's sad.

But whatever.

Funny things happen when you transition staffs.
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Exactly, he's a tweener with his size. I saw him lifting at the IMA at some point last year, and the dude is an absolute fucking monster... pushing more weight than anyone I've ever seen. He was clearly trying to add size, but as we can see there's not been much improvement. So either his frame just isn't built to get bigger than he already is, or just can't break a plateau of weight without getting fat and getting even slower.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,913
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Mathis transferring now makes no sense unless his plan is to leave for a small school where he can possibly tear it up against inferior competition. He's pretty much locked into a starting spot here as a senior for next season. I can't see a bunch of P5 schools really wanting him based on his performance thus far and he'd have to sit out a year to play one more.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

You hear something on Mathis?

Sadly, yes.
    "refuses to bulk up".

I guess he finally has answered the question and he does in fact, go to the shower first.
  • Options
    I don't know Joe myself, so I have no idea if this is true...

But what I was told is that they wanted him to get up to 270-280 and he just flat out didn't do it. He felt like he could just be a weight room monster and do his job that way. He didn't want to lose his speed, etc.

He has always believed (according to this source, but he said as much when he was being recruited) that he was a 3-4 OLB and wants to play in space. The feeling is that many 'in his camp' have convinced him that is true and that we didn't give him a fair shot at BUCK.

Apparently he believes that if he transfers he will be given a role that will use what he and his 'camp' think of as his talents: making plays in space, rushing the passer, etc.

I'm not positive this is the case, it's just what I'm hearing, no twisting, etc.

Also, the coaching staff felt he had the frame to carry 290 before he left.

One last thing: seeing a guy lift weights doesn't mean shit. Lifting weights doesn't mean shit if you don't eat and roid.
  • Options

No program in America had more success over the last two years converting virgin players to BUCK.

Someone needs to look out for Joe's best interest and tell him frankly: if you couldn't BUCK at UW you ain't bucking anywhere.

It's really his loss. I agree with all of this, but if he's too out of it to see it, not our fault.
  • Options
    Why is it a foregone conclusion that he already "failed" at being BUCK? I think it's a little more likely that for the last 2 years, we've had sackmaster Kikaha and then Feeney (arguably the best player on our defense last year) controlling the BUCK slot, and in order to maximize the talent on the field they put Mathis at DE instead of making him a backup. If Mathis played BUCK then Feeney gets pushed to Littleton's spot and then we're stuck with someone like Jaylen Johsnson starting over Littleton. So it's not because he sucks at it, but because other players on the roster were better fits there.

Now I'll eat my words on this if that going into next year, Benning Potato or an unlikely recruit (Juarez/Kongboner) beat him out for the BUCK. But I think its his position to lose at this point.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    NEsnake12 said:

Why is it a foregone conclusion that he already "failed" at being BUCK? I think it's a little more likely that for the last 2 years, we've had sackmaster Kikaha and then Feeney (arguably the best player on our defense last year) controlling the BUCK slot, and in order to maximize the talent on the field they put Mathis at DE instead of making him a backup. If Mathis played BUCK then Feeney gets pushed to Littleton's spot and then we're stuck with someone like Jaylen Johsnson starting over Littleton. So it's not because he sucks at it, but because other players on the roster were better fits there.

Now I'll eat my words on this if that going into next year, Benning Potato or an unlikely recruit (Juarez/Kongboner) beat him out for the BUCK. But I think its his position to lose at this point.

That would make sense...... Buuuuuuuut, he doesn't even play the position, the backup is Psalm, Littleton rolls there sometimes and then O'Brien is next. They don't play him at BUCK at all.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Fuckin Mathis. Jesus. If he was serious about going to the league he'd eat and roid.

Remember my post after picture day I reported he said to me "I've gained strength but not gained any weight." Not saying it wasnt true but he wanted to believe that would make him a better player.

Those in his camp shouldn't be allowed to procreate.
  • Options

NEsnake12 said:

That would make sense...... Buuuuuuuut, he doesn't even play the position, the backup is Psalm, Littleton rolls there sometimes and then O'Brien is next. They don't play him at BUCK at all.
    @NEsnake12 is either a fucking moron that belongs on dawgman or he's trolling. Either way, he saw Joe Mathis lift at IMA, so we're going to have to defer to him.
  • Options

Fuckin Mathis. Jesus. If he was serious about going to the league he'd eat and roid.

Remember my post after picture day I reported he said to me "I've gained strength but not gained any weight." Not saying it wasnt true but he wanted to believe that would make him a better player.

Those in his camp shouldn't be allowed to procreate.

Bingo. I think that's been his mindset. Fucking shit man. EAT AND ROID!!!!

Fuck.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,913
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Something to remember about Mathis: He was a man child in high school, committed to UW early, got offers from all over the country, decommitted from UW.

Despite the old "he chose UW over Alabama" mantra, It's been reported that when he recommitted to UW late in the process, his only other commitable offer was Utah.

Then there was that weird thing last year when he "left the team".

Lot's of red flags around this kid.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mathis also went from being listed at 6'4" 250 on high school to being 6'2" 252 his junior year. So he's probably 6'1" tops. I don't like to get stuck on height, but how many good 6'1" DE's are there?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,712
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Something to remember about Mathis: He was a man child in high school, committed to UW early, got offers from all over the country, decommitted from UW.

Despite the old "he chose UW over Alabama" mantra, It's been reported that when he recommitted to UW late in the process, his only other commitable offer was Utah.

Then there was that weird thing last year when he "left the team".

Lot's of red flags around this kid.

Yeah his couch has been rumored to be for sale every year including before he even got here (twice) so I have no idea what is going on but until I hear official reports I will assume he will be here.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:

@NEsnake12 is either a fucking moron that belongs on dawgman or he's trolling. Either way, he saw Joe Mathis lift at IMA, so we're going to have to defer to him.

Total bullshit, they have their own gyms, why the fuck would he risk injury at the fucking IMA??? All the Athletes use their own gym, with all the new amenities and personal trainers anyone could want. I even think Dr Feel good roams the locker rooms. IF Mathis is FS enough to bypass this to lift at the IMA fuck him, he is an idiot.
  • Options
    There was a couple day stretch during early spring quarter last year where a ton of football players used the IMA weight room, I'm guessing because there was maintenance at the football weight room or something like that. Me talking about seeing Mathis lift in particular was because he was far and away the strongest of the bunch I saw there, lowest BF% too. The point is that he's likely reached his non-roid plateau for his frame, so like DDY said he's trying to be a weight room monster without getting fat and slower all to keep his BUCK dreams alive.

And saying "thats not his position" is fucking blind... had someone claimed they think Feeney will be BUCK this time last year y'all would've said the same thing and look how that turned out. This coaching staff isn't shy about moving players positions on defense.

Gaines and Qualls will start at NT/DT for sure, and there's a fuckton of young depth all around that DLine. Mathis should get a shot to compete with Potato and Wooching (lol) for that starting role during spring while the younger DL guys get reps (Dissly/Johnson/Scrempos/etc), and if it's clear that he can't beat Wooching or a rFR then he'll give up that dream and move back to DE. But he clearly still thinks he can win that job, which is why he hasn't just gotten bigger.

• Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    NEsnake12 said:

Exactly, he's a tweener with his size. I saw him lifting at the IMA at some point last year, and the dude is an absolute fucking monster... pushing more weight than anyone I've ever seen. He was clearly trying to add size, but as we can see there's not been much improvement. So either his frame just isn't built to get bigger than he already is, or just can't break a plateau of weight without getting fat and getting even slower.
    maybe he should just do a couple cycles?
  • Options
    If only it was the 80s/90s.