Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Troy Williams to Utah

Comments

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Williams didn't get a "fair shot" because he didn't want to fucking be here the second Sark left, and even before that there were rumors of him leaving.

He was late to meetings, didn't practice hard and was a general pain in the ass to deal with. That's just off the field.

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The thing that pissed me off was Cyler was such a dead man walking. Was his hip hurt the entire year? I've never seen more uninspired play than Cyler's Bowl game last year. How could you not want to transfer watching from the sidelines. Cyler couldn't wait to quit and somehow the staff couldn't see this and wasted a ton of reps their 1st season.

I don't know if Troy is going to be good, but the QB position is one good head coaches frequently mess up the depth chart on. It was pussy conservative shit to keep rolling Cyler out there instead of rolling the dice on Black Power. The same pussy conservative shit philosophy that saw us punt on 4th and 1 against Oregon on their side of the field.

That's the knock on this staff. I like 81% of what they are doing, but the 19% of loser pussy conservativeness is going to keep the program at 4-5, 5-4, 5-4, 6-3, 4-5....

It needs to be snuffed out.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Doogles said:

The thing that pissed me off was Cyler was such a dead man walking. Was his hip hurt the entire year? I've never seen more uninspired play than Cyler's Bowl game last year. How could you not want to transfer watching from the sidelines. Cyler couldn't wait to quit and somehow the staff couldn't see this and wasted a ton of reps their 1st season.

I don't know if Troy is going to be good, but the QB position is one good head coaches frequently mess up the depth chart on. It was pussy conservative shit to keep rolling Cyler out there instead of rolling the dice on Black Power. The same pussy conservative shit philosophy that saw us punt on 4th and 1 against Oregon on their side of the field.

That's the knock on this staff. I like 81% of what they are doing, but the 19% of loser pussy conservativeness is going to keep the program at 4-5, 5-4, 5-4, 6-3, 4-5....

So you just want them to annoint a guy that does everything off the field wrong? Everything they preach about their culture and showing up on time, working hard, taking stuff seriously, just let him show up and play even though he does none of that and was a malcontent even before Petersen got here?

That is fucking more stupid, and he was shit in practices too.

Edit: For the record, I agree with you on the conservative 4th and 1 shit in opponents territory stuff. Just this fucking love of Williams needs to go away. Fuck. Hi @Dennis_DeYoung
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

So you just want them to annoint a guy that does everything off the field wrong? Everything they preach about their culture and showing up on time, working hard, taking stuff seriously, just let him show up and play even though he does none of that and was a malcontent even before Petersen got here?

Edit: For the record, I agree with you on the conservative 4th and 1 shit in opponents territory stuff. Just this fucking love of Williams needs to go away. Fuck. Hi @Dennis_DeYoung
    It's not a love affair with Troy. You don't anoint a stoner starter throwing with his eyes closed that inspires nothing from the players on the field. Cyler didn't do anything to keep the job on the field (except pooch punt). Lindy did all the right things (he's a captain this year) and probably should have replaced Cyler. They just kept rolling out the guy who was "hurt" and couldn't care less about the team. You need to have a better pulse on your team.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,723
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

It's not a love affair with Troy. You don't anoint a stoner starter throwing with his eyes closed that inspires nothing from the players on the field. Cyler didn't do anything to keep the job on the field (except pooch punt). Lindy did all the right things (he's a captain this year) and probably should have replaced Cyler. They just kept rolling out the guy who was "hurt" and couldn't care less about the team. You need to have a better pulse on your team.
    What is there to indicate any of the other options were any better?

Its a goddamn truther conspiracy theory to think that Lindquist and/or Williams were tearing it up in practice but the coaches were nevertheless tied to Miles, a QB they never recruited and had no prior relationship with, for no fucking reason at all even though he sucked and may have been hurt.

Jesus.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

But the premise of your first argument was centered around playing Williams over Cyler, not Wild Swede. I could maybe get on board if you had said that they should have played Wild Swede over Cyler, but he is fucking awful too. At least he gives a crap though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The main point is Great coaches make mistakes at QB more than any other position. It's such a lights on, gamer position it can be difficult to know who really has "it" until they get snaps. Billy Jo would never have sniffed the field if it wasn't for injury. Don James' career season may never have existed because of his own personnel decision.

It was clear Cyler didn't have "it". You don't want to overrate a garbage touchdown at Oregon, but Troy had life there and the team around him had life. Regardless of everything else, he wanted to play. The monsoon game was no pun intended a perfect storm to fail. The risk of going 8-6 or 7-7 was worth seeing what else was in the cupboard.

At the time it seemed like a terrible call to stick with Cyler. With hindsight, it was the absolute worst decision and waste of a season's worth of reps.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

The main point is Great coaches make mistakes at QB more than any other position. It's such a lights on, gamer position it can be difficult to know who really has "it" until they get snaps. Billy Jo would never have sniffed the field if it wasn't for injury. Don James' career season may never have existed because of his own personnel decision.

It was clear Cyler didn't have "it". You don't want to overrate a garbage touchdown at Oregon, but Troy had life there and the team around him had life. Regardless of everything else, he wanted to play. The monsoon game was no pun intended a perfect storm to fail. The risk of going 8-6 or 7-7 was worth seeing what else was in the cupboard.

At the time it seemed like a terrible call to stick with Cyler. With hindsight, it was the absolute worst decision and waste of a season's worth of reps.

I understand what you are saying, but I just keep coming back to how bad of coachable player Williams was, he was really bad.

You just can't hand over the keys to the car to a guy like that in your first year and expect the team to take you seriously with your rules and shit going forward. He did not want to be here and made an effort to prove it.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

But the premise of your first argument was centered around playing Williams over Cyler, not Wild Swede. I could maybe get on board if you had said that they should have played Wild Swede over Cyler, but he is fucking awful too. At least he gives a crap though.
    The premise of the couple of dumbfucks in this thread is that the coaches did not go with their best QB option. "Fans" are notorious for praising the virtues of the backup QB when the starting QB struggles. 9 times out of 10, the backup sucks balls. Why? Because maybe, just maybe, the coaches are a bit more connected to their team than internet warriors. But then again, maybe the coaches are just stupid and don't give a fuck about winning.

If you want to rail on CP/JS, I get it, and to some extent, it's deserved. But selection of the starting QB is not one of CP/JS's mistakes.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

I didn't see any "it" in either of those games whatever that means.

And its pretty likely Williams was already checked out by the end of the year anyways as Coke points out.

You aren't using hindsight- you are constructing your own alternate history. Cyler sucked but we were still in every game other than Oregon.

Its funny how that ASU "monsoon" game is spun as the perfect storm. Taylor Kelly somehow managed to throw for over 7 yards an attempt (just under his season average.) Yet the only drive that we did anything on offense we ran the ball 13 out of 14 plays.

You would think that if Troy was really this wunderkind with a million dollar arm that he would have thrown caution to the wind and at least attempted to throw a go or a post instead of missing on yet another in or curl route.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    We've covered this before.

Blaming the coaches for Williams transferring is the dumbest fucking thing you could blame the coaches for. It was clear he was 100% a Sark guy that had a foot out the door as soon as Sark left. It was reported that even Sark told him to stay at UW and give it a shot.

Some here said Pete didn't give him an opportunity or should have worked to keep him. We knew how bad Lindquist was and Troy couldn't even beat him out. When he got the chance he was awful against ASU almost throwing 5 picks. That is not a surprise given Coker's revelation about Troy not putting in the work off the field.

If Troy puts in the work off the field then maybe he will come around and be decent before he graduates. Either way it doesn't fucking matter for UW.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't know much about Troy Williams off the field. I know Pete had about as rough a transition from Sark to his style. But Miles wasn't this beacon of light to invest his image in. I don't think many guys in the locker room would blame Pete for benching him.

Was Troy actively running a mutiny? Like I said I don't know what he did or when he did it, if it was later in the year and he was 1 foot out because of feeling like no matter what Cyler is going to play, that's a problem of miscommunication between the staff and the player. If he was such an incredible Cancer, just go the way of String and send him on his way.

• Options
    Doogles said:

I don't know much about Troy Williams off the field. I know Pete had about as rough a transition from Sark to his style. But Miles wasn't this beacon of light to invest his image in. I don't think many guys in the locker room would blame Pete for benching him.

Was Troy actively running a mutiny? Like I said I don't know what he did or when he did it, if it was later in the year and he was 1 foot out because of feeling like no matter what Cyler is going to play, that's a problem of miscommunication between the staff and the player. If he was such an incredible Cancer, just go the way of String and send him on his way.

You're just trying to make things too complicated. We had three QBs. They all sucked. One sucked slightly less.

Miles wasn't a beacon of light. CP didn't invest his image in him. He was just the best of the bad options and gave UW the best chance to win each game until CP got his own guy in here (who may also suck.)
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles is dialed in. Coke makes my point for me. Tight ass coaches decide to play piles of shit like Miles because he sucks Petermen's dick.

Judge them on field not on this fucking loser OKG shit.

And do better than 4-5 or get the fuck out

Captain Picard once told his first mate that other starships transfer their problems away. On the Enterprise we work our problems out.

If you're going to be a successful manager or molder of men you have to be able to reach them. That was the joke about Ty, the great molder just cut guys that didn't buy his bullshit.

If you're Nick Saban you get the benefit of the doubt. If you can't put an offense together that can score more than 17 points you don't

Great Kim imitation Coke! xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyInAZ said:

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

The premise of the couple of dumbfucks in this thread is that the coaches did not go with their best QB option. "Fans" are notorious for praising the virtues of the backup QB when the starting QB struggles. 9 times out of 10, the backup sucks balls. Why? Because maybe, just maybe, the coaches are a bit more connected to their team than internet warriors. But then again, maybe the coaches are just stupid and don't give a fuck about winning.

If you want to rail on CP/JS, I get it, and to some extent, it's deserved. But selection of the starting QB is not one of CP/JS's mistakes.
    Disagree. Personnel decisions at that position have been head scratching from the get go by this regime. You have the random substitutions of Lindy to throw deep balls for cyler, or run the Swede. You have Lindy getting more PT than Karta all year, but then against Oregon with deep balls required (the only thing Lindy is good at) you put in Karta who nearly sharts himself into a pick. Watch last year's bowl game and look at how disinterested Miles is. He did not want to play. Listen to him after the game. It's depressing.

Maybe the fit was wrong with Troy post Sark, but you don't run talent if it can be avoided. Having Browning redshirt and gain 10 pounds of roid muscle would have been great. If Troy balls at Utah, or is even a servicable P12 QB, that was a big whiff. I don't know if he is good or not, but there should have been more opps considering the level of play in front of him.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles gets it. We should have kept String too. If he is good enough for Miss State he is good enough for us
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Meek said:

if Williams was any good, he'd have been heading to Oregon not Utah.

Maybe. They are pretty High on that Waller kid. He'll be more competition than Prukop going forward. Utah seems like a great spot to land for a JC QB with only two years to make a mark.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Blaming the coaches for Williams transferring is the dumbest fucking thing you could blame the coaches for. It was clear he was 100% a Sark guy that had a foot out the door as soon as Sark left. It was reported that even Sark told him to stay at UW and give it a shot.

Some here said Pete didn't give him an opportunity or should have worked to keep him. We knew how bad Lindquist was and Troy couldn't even beat him out. When he got the chance he was awful against ASU almost throwing 5 picks. That is not a surprise given Coker's revelation about Troy not putting in the work off the field.

If Troy puts in the work off the field then maybe he will come around and be decent before he graduates. Either way it doesn't fucking matter for UW.

Hi Kim. ;)
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogles gets it. We should have kept String too. If he is good enough for Miss State he is good enough for us

"Douglas

WTF are you talking about, @HeretoBeatmyChest. Clearly, the coaches are so fucking dumb they are not willing to play the best players and are not willing to fight to keep the malcontents. Get with the program already.

Williams would have led us to 10 victories this year had JS/CP not been so stubborn. Sure, Williams was 3rd string last year, but he oozed potential, something our coaching staff just could not bring out in him.

If you're not willing to lay blame for the loss of Williams at the feet of our coaches, well...you are right.