Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My Thoughts On The State of The 2015 Team

Comments

• HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    edited September 2015

Tequilla said:

Passion said:

HuskyInAZ said:

FUCK

I suppose one of these times over the last 15 years or so this line of insider bullshit that we get after every new coach is exposed could actually be true BUT I WILL BELIEVE IT WHEN I FUCKING SEE IT.

Awfully young culture change next year or the year after fucking special as always.

What fucking entitled purple glasses are you talking about. Get the shit out of your eyes and your head out of pool boy's ass and grab a fucking clue.

As you know, we have not been good over the past 15 years or so. Lots of blame to go around, but the lions share goes to AD and up. But that doesn't change reality today. Our offense is historically young based on the shit for talent left by Sark. Expecting them to be clicking on most cylinders is ridiculous, unless of course, you're sporting entitled purple glasses.

I'm not a fan of pool boy, nor am I a fan of Smith. Regardless, how about you pull your head out of the past, get your cataracts corrected and get a clear view of our reality today.
    Once you realize that nobody expects 12-0 or for the offense to be elite, you might get it. Whether it's a bad QB or youth, having the worst offense in the conference isn't acceptable. It has cost us games the past two years. And it's nothing new. This started at Boise.

The game last Saturday was Cal's best defensive performance against a real team since Dykes took over. Boise State's defense has looked very ordinary since the UW game.

If we want to get really simple. The Petersen era has sucked since the very first game against Hawaii.
    Hilarious. Last year there was a chorus of "blow this shit up and start over." So, Petersen blew the shit up and started over. Now it seems a few people on this board can't handle the result.

Well, guess what - when you blow shit up it means the aftermath on the field will likely suck. The shitty play-calling by Babushka and some poor decisions by Petersen are on them. Got it. But Sark left this program with a bunch of head cases and the worst stable of QBs and OLs in the conference. We should've beat cal at home, but this shit won't get fixed over night.

If we're still seeing failed bubble screens and uninspired WR play by the end of this year/early next year, then I will join all the hand wringing.

In the meantime, welcome to the world of "blowing shit up."

I used to actually think you had some standards and got it. This is another post pretending that those that acknowledge that Petersen has sucked so far expect 12-0. Not even Sven expects that.

You're worried about uninspired WR play? This whole blowing shit up excuse is FS too. Yeah, Petersen didn't inherit a perfect situation. Not many coaches do. He did inherit Kikaha, Shelton, Shaq, Peters, Victor, Bierria, Feeney, Ross, and Qualls, but still. Kim used to say the same thing about Sark needing to blow things up.
    Blowing shit up was last season's excuse.

It's year 2.

Either you win or you GTFO.
    Right ...

Which is why you're starting a true frosh QB, the backup RB is a true frosh, you have 3 true/RS frosh on the OL, and 2 WRs that are true frosh.

This isn't the NFL where you can completely turn over a roster in an offseason (and even then it normally takes 2-3 years to completely turn the franchise over when it needs to be blown up.

Basically all you are saying is that you have ZERO patience.
    I don't have any
    HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

FUCK

I suppose one of these times over the last 15 years or so this line of insider bullshit that we get after every new coach is exposed could actually be true BUT I WILL BELIEVE IT WHEN I FUCKING SEE IT.

Awfully young culture change next year or the year after fucking special as always.

What fucking entitled purple glasses are you talking about. Get the shit out of your eyes and your head out of pool boy's ass and grab a fucking clue.

As you know, we have not been good over the past 15 years or so. Lots of blame to go around, but the lions share goes to AD and up. But that doesn't change reality today. Our offense is historically young based on the shit for talent left by Sark. Expecting them to be clicking on most cylinders is ridiculous, unless of course, you're sporting entitled purple glasses.

I'm not a fan of pool boy, nor am I a fan of Smith. Regardless, how about you pull your head out of the past, get your cataracts corrected and get a clear view of our reality today.
    Once you realize that nobody expects 12-0 or for the offense to be elite, you might get it. Whether it's a bad QB or youth, having the worst offense in the conference isn't acceptable. It has cost us games the past two years. And it's nothing new. This started at Boise.

The game last Saturday was Cal's best defensive performance against a real team since Dykes took over. Boise State's defense has looked very ordinary since the UW game.

If we want to get really simple. The Petersen era has sucked since the very first game against Hawaii.
    Now you're just getting FS. BSU is the #1 rushing defense and the #18 scoring defense. That includes playing UW, @BYU and @ Virginia.

BSU's defense is damn good. Oh, and they have a ton of SRs making that happen.
    Those must be some pretty tough teams with potent offenses. UW, BYU, and Virginia. Props to Boise, those teams are explosive! Whether they are great, good, or just okay, we didn't score an offensive TD and had 179 yards of total offense.
    Please lay out for me who has played a tougher schedule to date. There are a few teams, but I'm guessing you can count them on one hand.

One thing I've learned on this board, when you say something really stupid, it's best to not try to defend the it.
    You seem to know the doog playbook very well. Too young, TUFF schedule, etc.

I bet you Barked for Sark. In fact, I guarantee it.
    I never barked for sark. Again, answer the question or STFU. For the 4th time, show me a P5 team with the youth of UW's offense that had decent results. You and the rest of the knee-jerk crowd can't answer it because the answer is that no team can expect consistent offensive output with the youth on our team. It doesn't mean we can't want it, hope for it.....it means it's FS to expect it.
    I don't have intricate knowledge of every P5 team. You don't either so STFU. We are young, we get it. Nobody expects a really good offense. One that is merely below average would have at least 3-4 more wins. There really is no excuse for being worse than Oregon State, Colorado, etc on offense.

The bottom line is that when Petersen was hired, if we were told he would be 10-8 with the worst offenses in the Pac 12, we would say fuck off. And yet that is where we are, but you and a few others still roll out the doog playbook. Praise for wins, criticism for losses. That's how this thing works. Petersen hasn't been good enough.
    I know it doesn't fit your narrative, but please show me where I'm rolling out of the doog playbook.

I think a few on this board are rolling with the petulant toddler playbook. Knee jerk reactions and consistent overlooking of facts that don't fit their slant resulting in a FYFMFE tirade. It's as predictable as the biased media.
    Overlooking stats like 10-8 and the worst offense in the PAC 12 so far for the second year in a row? What is knee jerk about that? Blaming the players for not executing and the youth for FS schemes and play calling is straight from the doog playbook. Same for acting like everyone demands 12-0.
    Where the fuck was all this passion last week? Oh, that's right, it didn't exist.

Blaming the FS schemes and playcalling for all the problems this year is straight out of the the "petulant toddler" playbook.

The reality is that our issues have to do with BOTH FS playcalling and historical levels of youth on offense. If you can't see that, you are dumber than I thought you were.

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Are you even reading what people are posting @RoadDawg55 ???

You can go back and look at what I've said in this thread and I've been saying consistently since the Cal game that that game is an indictment on Smith as a coordinator and that the fundamental problem to the UW offense is a lack of identity.

I've also said consistently that Smith is walking down the path of being fired after this season and how Petersen handles what is shaping up to be a 2nd year of poor offensive play will go a long way in defining whether he is or isn't the right coach.

That doesn't change though that this is a young team that will make mistakes at times this year. That doesn't change that the expectations for this season were to win 6 to 7 games at best. There was a reason that the expectation in Vegas was 4 wins.

There's a lot of good going on in the program right now ... there will be steps back before we go forward. That's just part of the process sometimes. I've seen firsthand the process at TCU. I see some similar attributes at UW.

I realize that patience isn't always the easiest ... but if there ever was a season where needing to take the long view and waiting until the season is over to assess the good, bad, and ugly, this is the season.
  • HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    Tequilla said:

You can go back and look at what I've said in this thread and I've been saying consistently since the Cal game that that game is an indictment on Smith as a coordinator and that the fundamental problem to the UW offense is a lack of identity.

I've also said consistently that Smith is walking down the path of being fired after this season and how Petersen handles what is shaping up to be a 2nd year of poor offensive play will go a long way in defining whether he is or isn't the right coach.

That doesn't change though that this is a young team that will make mistakes at times this year. That doesn't change that the expectations for this season were to win 6 to 7 games at best. There was a reason that the expectation in Vegas was 4 wins.

There's a lot of good going on in the program right now ... there will be steps back before we go forward. That's just part of the process sometimes. I've seen firsthand the process at TCU. I see some similar attributes at UW.

I realize that patience isn't always the easiest ... but if there ever was a season where needing to take the long view and waiting until the season is over to assess the good, bad, and ugly, this is the season.

Why on earth would you want to introduce reason into this. The crew has declared that anyone who disagrees with them is a doog, needs to DIAFF, etc. Par for the course.

Maybe this is what Stalin had in mind.

Tequilla said:

It's the 4th year in a row of bad offense for Petersen. Smith is probably getting too much blame because it is Petersen's offense. Petersen is an offensive coach. You posted before the season about there being no reason why this team doesn't win 8 or 9 games? Something about expectations. Why not us? Yeah, I remember it too.
    And what was your prediction at beginning of the season, turbo?
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622

Passion said:

HuskyInAZ said:

FUCK

Hilarious. Last year there was a chorus of "blow this shit up and start over." So, Petersen blew the shit up and started over. Now it seems a few people on this board can't handle the result.

Well, guess what - when you blow shit up it means the aftermath on the field will likely suck. The shitty play-calling by Babushka and some poor decisions by Petersen are on them. Got it. But Sark left this program with a bunch of head cases and the worst stable of QBs and OLs in the conference. We should've beat cal at home, but this shit won't get fixed over night.

If we're still seeing failed bubble screens and uninspired WR play by the end of this year/early next year, then I will join all the hand wringing.

In the meantime, welcome to the world of "blowing shit up."

I used to actually think you had some standards and got it. This is another post pretending that those that acknowledge that Petersen has sucked so far expect 12-0. Not even Sven expects that.

You're worried about uninspired WR play? This whole blowing shit up excuse is FS too. Yeah, Petersen didn't inherit a perfect situation. Not many coaches do. He did inherit Kikaha, Shelton, Shaq, Peters, Victor, Bierria, Feeney, Ross, and Qualls, but still. Kim used to say the same thing about Sark needing to blow things up.
    I used to actually think you understood managing a program.

I think parts of Petersen have sucked. But to just attach the "suck" label to a guy that has recruited well and is clearly having a positive impact on culture is superficial, and frankly stupid.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    8 or 9 wins was what I thought was a high water mark and stretch goal. I was very bullish on the defense and that has played out.

There's clearly no way that I'd have bet on those numbers. I would have been satisfied with 6 or 7 wins. 8 or 9 I would have been very impressed with.

5 or lower and I would be very disappointed and expect changes.

I agree that this has been 4 so-so years for Petersen. I'm more interested in how he's going to remedy this instead of focusing on something that isn't likely to be changed in the next 2 months.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    HuskyInAZ said:

Tequilla said:

Why on earth would you want to introduce reason into this. The crew has declared that anyone who disagrees with them is a doog, needs to DIAFF, etc. Par for the course.

Maybe this is what Stalin had in mind.

Tequilla said:

It's the 4th year in a row of bad offense for Petersen. Smith is probably getting too much blame because it is Petersen's offense. Petersen is an offensive coach. You posted before the season about there being no reason why this team doesn't win 8 or 9 games? Something about expectations. Why not us? Yeah, I remember it too.
    And what was your prediction at beginning of the season, turbo?
    I like to think I am arguing from a position of reason and logic when my points are basically "dont worry guys, next year we will be one year older you cant expect to go better than 10-8 with guys that aren't older. Why??! because!!!"

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,602
    Ugh that's a good point, especially regarding the receiving TEs (Perkins and Daniels).
    Tequilla said:

The problem with going 3 TEs against SC is that our TEs haven't necessarily been very effective blockers this year ... other than that, multiple TE sets should be more prevalent in the offense given our personnel.

The question that I have is how many wins did you expect this year? I was expecting 5-7 depending on the OL and QB play...well Charles then retires and the remaining Sarkisian guys have proven to mostly suck so Petersen / Strausser blew up the OL and decided to go young. Compound that with starting a true frosh at QB and now we're looking at a 5-6 wins, depending on how quickly the OL and Browning can grow.

Again, if there's anything to criticize, it's Babushka asking too much of Browning with a green OL. The line with Eldrenkamp, Brostek, and Matt James really struggled against BSU and after Strausser blew it up, the young OL did a little better against USU before starting to put it together against Cal (at least in the run game).

In the two losses so far, Browning has been sacked 7 times and turned the ball over 4 times. Some of that is on him, some of that is on the OL. Frankly with 5 turnovers (some hurting badly) in the Cal game, I thought it was an overall good coaching job that the team had a chance to come back and win it at the end (Browning being pressured, throwing it into coverage, says it all about where we are at QB and the OL positions).

The one thing I will say is that the D is pretty f'ing good. Despite having to defend 92 plays and a young O turning the ball over 5 times, they didn't roll over. They kept battling and kept the team in the game, still giving UW a chance to win. If that makes me a Doog for pointing that out, so be it. Hell I think the last time UW defended 90+ plays, it was under Sarkisian and he got curb-stomped 53-24 by Todd Graham.

If the offense can figure it out (and that definitely includes Babushka), a bowl game is still in the picture and maybe a pull big upset (at least 10 point underdog if not more) with the team playing well in all 3 facets of the game.

Can we just admit that Petersen has sucked so far? Because he has. 10-8 with not a single win over a team that had a winning record. He's had easier non conference schedules than any UW coach. Worst offense in the conference. Fucking Christ, I was a big advocate of the hire. It is what it is though. I'll join you guys praising him when we win.

• section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    I remember back in spring when Jeffery was supposed to start and we hated it. Now Cobrah is the man and maybe we expected to much so early. Since against division 3 opponents he was on fire.

And as far as the Kal game, our defense shouldn't HAVE to bail out our offense. After that goal line stand ( I haven't heard that place that loud in a long time) you don't shit the bed and give it right back. SmithFS and Cobrah are smarter than that
    Your criticisms are correct...bad play-calling and mostly poor OL play. Throw in a true frosh QB and you're not going to win many more games.

Let me ask you this: do you believe that Browning and the young OL will improve more based upon what you've seen already? If we assume the worst in the Babushka won't improve as a play-caller, an improvement by the players will at least partially mask his deficiencies.

On another question, what do we think are the chances Petersen eventually takes over play-calling from Babushka?

HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

HuskyInAZ said:

FUCK

Now you're just getting FS. BSU is the #1 rushing defense and the #18 scoring defense. That includes playing UW, @BYU and @ Virginia.

BSU's defense is damn good. Oh, and they have a ton of SRs making that happen.
    Those must be some pretty tough teams with potent offenses. UW, BYU, and Virginia. Props to Boise, those teams are explosive! Whether they are great, good, or just okay, we didn't score an offensive TD and had 179 yards of total offense.
    Please lay out for me who has played a tougher schedule to date. There are a few teams, but I'm guessing you can count them on one hand.

One thing I've learned on this board, when you say something really stupid, it's best to not try to defend the it.
    You seem to know the doog playbook very well. Too young, TUFF schedule, etc.

I bet you Barked for Sark. In fact, I guarantee it.
    I never barked for sark. Again, answer the question or STFU. For the 4th time, show me a P5 team with the youth of UW's offense that had decent results. You and the rest of the knee-jerk crowd can't answer it because the answer is that no team can expect consistent offensive output with the youth on our team. It doesn't mean we can't want it, hope for it.....it means it's FS to expect it.
    Fuck off with your arbitrary young offense bullshit. Nobody is answering your stupid fucking question because it has nothing to do with what why the team lost 2 games.

The awful play calling isn't on the freshmen playing on the field. They didn't decide to abandon the run game. Our "too young to expect to beat Cal at home" offense shoved it up Cal's ass on 5 straight running plays for a TD. But they are too young. So we better not do that anymore.

Did anyone mention that Cal's defense sucks?

Both losses this season are on the coaching staff for playing not to lose.

How much did you pay to ship a Bark 4 Sark t-shirt to your shit hole in AZ?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Even Petersen acknowledged that the future is NOW. UW had a chance to be 4-0 with just average offensive play and couldn't do it.

Sofuckingirritating.gif

I'm Cockusing this thread with so many poasts, but this. We're young. We are also losing close games to mediocre teams. It has happened way too much the past 14 seasons to not be sofuckingirrating.gif.