Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Gary Player on Chambers Bay: 'One of the worst golf courses I've ever seen'

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited June 2015
    Tequilla said:

So you're saying that the US Open doesn't have brown every year?

Yes, this year's Open was more brown than normal. But if you go back and look at Pinehurst last year or really any recent US Open that wasn't influenced by rain, you'll find a browning out on every course.

I'm saying they're not wanting brown. Preserving water may be one of their tenants but brown is a result of that tenant, not the purpose behind. Saying the USGA wants brown courses is ridiculous. Saying the USGA wants to make an environmental statement (and save money) and is willing to tolerate brown courses to meet that end is a much more reasonable claim.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    So you are basically arguing over semantics?

Low water leads to browning ... if USGA doesn't water it leads to brown conditions ... Not that fucking difficult

Should probably listen to Uncle Race more
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,631 Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Low water leads to browning ... if USGA doesn't water it leads to brown conditions ... Not that fucking difficult

Why would I listen to Race? He's a world class jackass and a perfect example of what not to be in 20-30 years.
    Knock out punch right there
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

The putting average for the tournament was 4 putts per round higher than the average on tour. Thats 16 strokes. I thought it was a great tournament with a spectacular finish. Probably as good as seen in a major in recent years. However the greens were a fucking disaster. Nothing to do with alleged poor putting strokes Tequilla.

The US Open will be coming back, according to a reporter on the golf channel. But he said the USGA was very upset about the greens. That will have to be fixed and also the fan experience improved according to the USGA. Fans couldn't get close to the players nor could they follow a group around the entire course, unlike at most events.

Luckily, fan support was huge as all the merchandise sold out, tv ratings were really good and there were tons of volunteers for the event. Otherwise, it would have been a one time thing.

TV ratings were 27% worse than the last primetime open and were worse than Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final, but still:

http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/u-s-open-final-round-rating-a-bit-disappointing/16418/

Tequilla said:

Why would I listen to Race? He's a world class jackass and a perfect example of what not to be in 20-30 years.
    Race is wrong except for when he's right
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

The putting average for the tournament was 4 putts per round higher than the average on tour. Thats 16 strokes. I thought it was a great tournament with a spectacular finish. Probably as good as seen in a major in recent years. However the greens were a fucking disaster. Nothing to do with alleged poor putting strokes Tequilla.

The US Open will be coming back, according to a reporter on the golf channel. But he said the USGA was very upset about the greens. That will have to be fixed and also the fan experience improved according to the USGA. Fans couldn't get close to the players nor could they follow a group around the entire course, unlike at most events.

Luckily, fan support was huge as all the merchandise sold out, tv ratings were really good and there were tons of volunteers for the event. Otherwise, it would have been a one time thing.

TV ratings were 27% worse than the last primetime open and were worse than Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final, but still:

http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/u-s-open-final-round-rating-a-bit-disappointing/16418/
    Coming off of the lowest ratings ever last year it was a big jump and that is positive as year over year is most important comparison.

Coming off of the lowest ratings ever last year it was a big jump and that is positive as year over year is most important comparison.
    Last year didn't have primetime east coast coverage.

I expect Tequilla to be too stupid to notice these details, not you.
    There's been a lot of Cuog type of behavior in this thread ...

For a lot of people that claim to not give 2 shits about golf, lots of people plenty butthurt about it ...

The shitty greens will be fixed ...

The US Open will return here ...

The media and players will piss and moan about it ...

The USGA won't give 2 shits about it.
    Tequilla said:

There's been a lot of Cuog type of behavior in this thread ...

For a lot of people that claim to not give 2 shits about golf, lots of people plenty butthurt about it ...

The shitty greens will be fixed ...

The US Open will return here ...

The media and players will piss and moan about it ...

The USGA won't give 2 shits about it.

The last sentence is on point.

The USGA doesn't give a shit about good golf.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    I can confirm that the US Open will be coming back to Chambers Bay in 2025

BTW, here's the site of Robert Trent Jones Jr's next golf course project in the PNW

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter

I can confirm that the US Open will be coming back to Chambers Bay in 2025

BTW, here's the site of Robert Trent Jones Jr's next golf course project in the PNW

Disagree. Here's where the USGA will put the next PNW US Open:

Give Boobs credit, you tee one up for the miserable fuck & he usually delivers.

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,545 Swaye's Wigwam
    This thread delivers like Miley Cyrus' hip before 2015 season
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797

These cocksuckers who say, "Get in the hole!" yell, tell players they love them (wtf) and whoo after every single shotAnyone who watches golf need to DIAFF.

More crisp.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,138
    Tequilla said:

The sprinklers work just fine ... I don't understand why it is so hard to understand that brown is what the USGA wants and has every single year. By Sunday it's almost always brown to some degree. This year moreso than normal ... a lot of that has to do with the fescue that was on the course.

It was fucking brown on Thursday.

• sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Some of you need to learn the difference about grass maintenance advice you get from Damone when he's covering the lawn and garden department unexpectedly and what the USGA has been saying about what happens to fescue grass when they intentionally restrict water to increase the difficulty of play for a CHAMPIONSHIP!