Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question for roaddog and the others who think we'll be absolutely terrible in 2015

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419

I'm certainly not an apologist and I think expectations should remain high but I do think that judging the program under Petersen by the first and second year would be a too little data to work with as far as judging him as a good coach or a bad coach. As far year 1 under Petersen..... I don't think Pete Carroll would have won more games than CP (maybe the Arizona game).

The talent last year, other than the defensive front 7 and one member of the secondary who got booted half way through the season, was below average. Most importantly at the quarter back position. Yeah JS didn't tailor the offense to Miles but let's be honest.... we had a bottom third offensive line, bottom third pair of running backs and a bottom third (if not worst) QB in the conference. A conference with a bunch of offenses that are going to put up points week in and week out. I think 8-6 is a perfectly acceptable record given that set of circumstances that CP walked into.

Going forward, the offense will probably still be one of the lower 3rd in the conference this season and the defense probably won't be as good last year. We could easily have the same, if not worse record at the end of this season. And I don't give a shit.

It's pretty clear that the days of Slick Rick and Jerramy Stevens are gone and that winning at UW is going to look way more like it does at Stanford than it does at USC or Oregon. And CP is that coach to move us in that direction.

Going 8-6 is not remotely 'perfectly acceptable' given the talent on D and the very, very easy schedule we had. That's mediocre, bordering on terrible. Everyone who upvoted this post should be punched square in the groin.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club
    Fuck you Gladstone, I thought collegdoog was back
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Gladstone said:

I'm certainly not an apologist and I think expectations should remain high but I do think that judging the program under Petersen by the first and second year would be a too little data to work with as far as judging him as a good coach or a bad coach. As far year 1 under Petersen..... I don't think Pete Carroll would have won more games than CP (maybe the Arizona game).

The talent last year, other than the defensive front 7 and one member of the secondary who got booted half way through the season, was below average. Most importantly at the quarter back position. Yeah JS didn't tailor the offense to Miles but let's be honest.... we had a bottom third offensive line, bottom third pair of running backs and a bottom third (if not worst) QB in the conference. A conference with a bunch of offenses that are going to put up points week in and week out. I think 8-6 is a perfectly acceptable record given that set of circumstances that CP walked into.

Going forward, the offense will probably still be one of the lower 3rd in the conference this season and the defense probably won't be as good last year. We could easily have the same, if not worse record at the end of this season. And I don't give a shit.

It's pretty clear that the days of Slick Rick and Jerramy Stevens are gone and that winning at UW is going to look way more like it does at Stanford than it does at USC or Oregon. And CP is that coach to move us in that direction.

Going 8-6 is not remotely 'perfectly acceptable' given the talent on D and the very, very easy schedule we had. That's mediocre, bordering on terrible. Everyone who upvoted this post should be punched square in the groin.
    Quite honestly, we were a ridiculous fumble and a sleep walking bowl game away from a 10-4 record. Quite honestly.

He'll never be on the hot seat. He'll probably feel a tiny bit of pressure going into next season but it will fade. He'd have to have UW middling in mediocrity in year 4.

Suck it up. We aren't going to be good this year and next season probably won't be special either unless QB play takes a huge leap upwards.

Petersen is a proven championship coach and is currently recruiting at a top 20 level at a school that has occasionally competed for national championships. He took the job because he felt UW could get back to the way it played in the early 90s. And he will probably retire here. After 10+ years of total bullshit, embarrassment, disappointment, making every wrong and worst decision possible, some of us are so scarred that we can't see how good we have it now.

We can't see how good we have it now? Did you write that with a straight face? I was as happy with the 92-12 hire as anyone, but the jury is still very much out to prove that he isn't Dan Hawkins. UW should always recruit at a top 20 level, anyone with a pulse and a modicum of effort should be able to produce that. That level of recruiting is to be expected, not overly praised. He needs to fucking win or he'll be D.A.O. like the others.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club

Gladstone said:

Quite honestly, we were a ridiculous fumble and a sleep walking bowl game away from a 10-4 record. Quite honestly.
    Don't forget a failed fake punt away from 11-3!

Utah State, Sac State, OSU, and WSU. Four games that we should win right there. After that Cal, Utah, Arizona all at home. Win at least 2 of those. 6 wins. @BallSacked likes Cal and I know they have Goff, but they have no defense and a terrible coach. Boise State or another unlikely upset on the road is 7.

@Gladstone, I'm not sure why you feel I'm the poster boy for thinking we will suck. I just thought, "It's year two and all great coaches take off in year 2" was simplistic and unlikely. We will suck. Just like we sucked last year and under Sark. In my mind, finishing in the middle of the Pac 12 and playing in a dreckfest bowl = your team sucks.

Roaddawg, you're always by default the one who gets called out. After that one podcast crusader guy I thought you'd be used to it by now lol
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

Don't forget a failed fake punt away from 11-3!
    That's my bad, brah. Forgot that one.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    What about the schedule last year was EASY?

We had most of our difficult games at home ... this year we have the games we should win (barring Oregon) at home.

I also don't get all of this we had a ton of talent on defense argument. Yes, we had high end guys (although note that Peters got kicked off halfway through the year and many on here have questioned how good of a LB Shaq really was - and let's not even talk about how many games he played 100% on offense), but we had some significant depth questions at times last year (see Hudson, Evan) and basically started a bunch of true frosh in the secondary.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Tequilla I know youve watched more than 3 years of husky football (j, splitskin). You should know better.

"If Linda just plays average", "I think Feeney" is going to have a HUGE year" etc...Cut the shit sewer cunt! Linda would have to be Kessler, Feeney would have to be Willie McGinest for UW to win 6-7 games. Has nothing to do with Petersen. We just suck at QB, WR, running back and up front. DO YOU FUCKING GET THAT?

you just don't show up in the PAC 12 and win three conference games. everybody is as good or better than you. EVERY FUCKING TEAM in the country, except WASHINGTON has a quarterback who can play at this level right now (that is a fact, its that bad.) Most everybody has a better offensive line than U dub right now, EVERYFUCKINGBODY has better wide receivers than you dub right now. Our depth at TE wont win us many games alone.

You starting to see the reality yet dipshit? Its just where we are. In 2-3 more years that wont be the case. Now enough on the topic. Lets get back to current happenings and boobie filled pic threads.

IF Petersen can't win 3 conference games this year, then he's not the right coach.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Tequilla I know youve watched more than 3 years of husky football (j, splitskin). You should know better.

"If Linda just plays average", "I think Feeney" is going to have a HUGE year" etc...Cut the shit sewer cunt! Linda would have to be Kessler, Feeney would have to be Willie McGinest for UW to win 6-7 games. Has nothing to do with Petersen. We just suck at QB, WR, running back and up front. DO YOU FUCKING GET THAT?

you just don't show up in the PAC 12 and win three conference games. everybody is as good or better than you. EVERY FUCKING TEAM in the country, except WASHINGTON has a quarterback who can play at this level right now (that is a fact, its that bad.) Most everybody has a better offensive line than U dub right now, EVERYFUCKINGBODY has better wide receivers than you dub right now. Our depth at TE wont win us many games alone.

You starting to see the reality yet dipshit? Its just where we are. In 2-3 more years that wont be the case. Now enough on the topic. Lets get back to current happenings and boobie filled pic threads.

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    HFNY said:

The question that I have is how can the QB play, the WR corp, the OL, and the Secondary each be worse than last year?

QB - Can't get much worse, but I doubt it will be much better. The frontrunner is a guy who was behind Miley since the day they arrived. He also couldn't complete a pass against Hawaii. Jonathon Smith is still the OC. I expect more of the same. Maybe a good game here and there, but still among the worst in the conference. Hopefully year 2 and some changes help Lindy or whoever else is playing.

RB - No reason to think they won't be better. Same guys as last year plus another likely contributor in Gaskin.

WR - I think we'll be better. Compared to the rest of the Pac, this group is nothing special. I'm not sure it matters too much with the QB issues.

OL - Why couldn't the guys now beat out the dreck from last year? Dexter Charles is overrated and has never been better than average. Maybe slightly above. What has anyone else done to inspire any confidence? They might not be much worse, but don't fool yourself. These guys aren't good and will be in the bottom half of the Pac 12.

DL - I like the young guys, but they will be significantly worse than last year. Thinking we lose two All Americans and another good player, but get better is some doogFS logic. I like Qualls, Mathis, and Dissly but come on. They are young guys who have hardly played. Shelton and Kikaha were both in the conversation for best defensive players in the conference. Andrew Hudson had like 12 sacks. I remember how the DL played against UCLA without Kikaha. And that was with Shelton and Andrew Hudson.

LB - Maybe the same if we get modest improvements out of Feeney and Littleton. I think the narrative that Shaq wasn't that good has been repeated enough some think it's true. He was good. This group could also be slightly worse. I don't think it really matters.

Secondary - Should be better and possibly a strength.

This team is plagued by the same things as last year. Bad QB, shitty OL. At this point, the WR's and RB's aren't anything special and the offensive coaching should be questioned until proven otherwise. The defense should be decent, but could be worse than last year. Just my $.02.
    Poor execution and a losing mindset in the players lost the Arizona ... I did the math in Arizona and with the way it played out running the ball was the right play. Cooper just can't fumble the ball there.

The only reason I have optimism for a better QB season from Lindy is that AT LEAST Lindy can stretch a defense over the top. He very well might suck. But let's be honest, defenses didn't have to respect Miley's ability to beat ANYBODY over the top. Whether that creates a couple of extra easy scores on the season or does just enough to loosen up a bit on the running game, I think that this will cause at least a subtle difference.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,545 Founders Club
    edited June 2015
    Lindy will have a better chance hitting open receivers at safety.

I actually don't think he'll be terrible. Couldn't agree more about Petes pass being over. Really thought we'd see some moments where it was obvious our coach was better. It just never happened.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,132
    edited June 2015
    Tequilla said:

Poor execution and a losing mindset in the players lost the Arizona ... I did the math in Arizona and with the way it played out running the ball was the right play. Cooper just can't fumble the ball there.

The only reason I have optimism for a better QB season from Lindy is that AT LEAST Lindy can stretch a defense over the top. He very well might suck. But let's be honest, defenses didn't have to respect Miley's ability to beat ANYBODY over the top. Whether that creates a couple of extra easy scores on the season or does just enough to loosen up a bit on the running game, I think that this will cause at least a subtle difference.

I have been in the Lindy's job to lose camp since before Miley did her disappearing act. I have to believe that Pete (or his designate) can teach some one ball security in two fucking full years.

• PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,490 Swaye's Wigwam
    Lindersen, Cyler, Browning? Couldnt hold Kessler jock strap down in Orange County. Petamus might only win 1 game this year (if Sac St doesnt bring there A game).
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Gladstone said:

Jesass you are fucking tarded stone. We all saw how great that defense was when it was on the field 52minutes/game as our QB went 3 and FUCKING out every series because he, AND NONE OF THE FUCKING OTHER 3 qbs, could complete a simple forward pass. This whole mountain of buttfuckered expectations you put on Petersen in his 1st year, based on what he had to work with, borders mostly on ignorance and the rest on stupidity. Fuck Thomas prolly got more clues than your dumbass.