Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question for roaddog and the others who think we'll be absolutely terrible in 2015

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
What has to happen for Petersen to get on the hot seat? Winning 4 fucking games and being the worst offense in the conference again would turn me extremely, extremely skeptical. At that point, we would need 11+ wins in 2016 or I'd probably advocate firing him.

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    edited June 2015
    I don't think we'll win just 4 games ... there's enough talent there IMO to at least get to a bowl.

But one thing I'm interested in seeing is how much advancement we see from the QB position this year. It's really hard for me to judge someone too critically without a QB and even going into 2016, if Browning starts at that point while you'd hope/expect that to be a sign of significant improvement, expecting him to be the savior from Day 1 is probably expecting too much.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club

He'll never be on the hot seat. He'll probably feel a tiny bit of pressure going into next season but it will fade. He'd have to have UW middling in mediocrity in year 4.

Suck it up. We aren't going to be good this year and next season probably won't be special either unless QB play takes a huge leap upwards.

Petersen is a proven championship coach and is currently recruiting at a top 20 level at a school that has occasionally competed for national championships. He took the job because he felt UW could get back to the way it played in the early 90s. And he will probably retire here. After 10+ years of total bullshit, embarrassment, disappointment, making every wrong and worst decision possible, some of us are so scarred that we can't see how good we have it now.

A four win season this year would put him firmly in the hot seat. The bar he'd have to clear in year three may be as low as getting them into a bowl game, but he was hired to return the Huskies to championships, not mediocrity.

I think TTL is right. Peterson's road map will look a lot more like Stanford's than USC's, which is really saying he's following a road map akin to the one Don James used. You can see this in Peterson's recruiting patterns and emphasis on S&C.

IMO though, last year was justifiably worrisome. The Stanford game jumps out as a big one that was winnable but lost on coaching errors. The offense in general was incredibly bad last year, much worse than the talent IMO. The bowl game was a red flag too. The team didn't show up until the second half, something I'd hang on the coaches as well as the players. On the other hand, recruiting is the best it's been since Don James, at least in terms of emphasis. The foundation for a very good team is being built. As always, it's going to come down to how well the pieces are put together and coached up.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    I think we will win more than 4. There are no objective reasons to think this is a good team though.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

I'm certainly not an apologist and I think expectations should remain high but I do think that judging the program under Petersen by the first and second year would be a too little data to work with as far as judging him as a good coach or a bad coach. As far year 1 under Petersen..... I don't think Pete Carroll would have won more games than CP (maybe the Arizona game).

The talent last year, other than the defensive front 7 and one member of the secondary who got booted half way through the season, was below average. Most importantly at the quarter back position. Yeah JS didn't tailor the offense to Miles but let's be honest.... we had a bottom third offensive line, bottom third pair of running backs and a bottom third (if not worst) QB in the conference. A conference with a bunch of offenses that are going to put up points week in and week out. I think 8-6 is a perfectly acceptable record given that set of circumstances that CP walked into.

Going forward, the offense will probably still be one of the lower 3rd in the conference this season and the defense probably won't be as good last year. We could easily have the same, if not worse record at the end of this season. And I don't give a shit.

It's pretty clear that the days of Slick Rick and Jerramy Stevens are gone and that winning at UW is going to look way more like it does at Stanford than it does at USC or Oregon. And CP is that coach to move us in that direction.

I agree with some of your points, but 8-6 with that schedule was really bad.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    6-6 would be decent this season with 7-5 being very strong. I feel like a pussy for writing that ... but its reality at this point. 6-6 or 7-5 will require Jonathon Smith to seriously upgrade his QB coaching and play calling. We all can see that party boy was a fraud with QB development.... and that has left us in peril of a losing record. With that being said Pete and his staff are responsible for figuring it out.

Anything less than 6-6 for me would be very discouraging for me... Pete can see there are serious problems with the offense especially the QB situation.... and his OC sucks. If Pete doesn't have a quick hook for Smith and be ready to take over play calling duties and whatever else needs to be done to finish as strong as possible and build as bright a future as possible I may start to have serious doubts.

He has to find a way to get to 6-6 or I think a hot seat is warranted regardless of how shitty certain parts of the roster may be... if he can't figure out a way maybe he isn't the guy. 5 wins or less deserves the coils on his seat to be turned up to at least 6.

SO fucking depressing
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212

I'm certainly not an apologist and I think expectations should remain high but I do think that judging the program under Petersen by the first and second year would be a too little data to work with as far as judging him as a good coach or a bad coach. As far year 1 under Petersen..... I don't think Pete Carroll would have won more games than CP (maybe the Arizona game).

The talent last year, other than the defensive front 7 and one member of the secondary who got booted half way through the season, was below average. Most importantly at the quarter back position. Yeah JS didn't tailor the offense to Miles but let's be honest.... we had a bottom third offensive line, bottom third pair of running backs and a bottom third (if not worst) QB in the conference. A conference with a bunch of offenses that are going to put up points week in and week out. I think 8-6 is a perfectly acceptable record given that set of circumstances that CP walked into.

Going forward, the offense will probably still be one of the lower 3rd in the conference this season and the defense probably won't be as good last year. We could easily have the same, if not worse record at the end of this season. And I don't give a shit.

It's pretty clear that the days of Slick Rick and Jerramy Stevens are gone and that winning at UW is going to look way more like it does at Stanford than it does at USC or Oregon. And CP is that coach to move us in that direction.

I agree with some of your points, but 8-6 with that schedule was really bad.
    Please to be agreeing with you
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited June 2015
    What if Peterman is about as good as Dan Hawkins?

What about that?
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,336 Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

What about that?

What if Peterman is about as good as Don James?

What about that?
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    All these opinions and nobody thought to ask Kim? Puzzling.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

AZDuck said:

What about that?

You mean the Dan Hawkins that's representing USA Football in international play?

That's what I thought.
    USA International Football : UW Football :: ? : ?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club
    Round and the circle of life goes

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited June 2015

Utah State, Sac State, OSU, and WSU. Four games that we should win right there. After that Cal, Utah, Arizona all at home. Win at least 2 of those. 6 wins. @BallSacked likes Cal and I know they have Goff, but they have no defense and a terrible coach. Boise State or another unlikely upset on the road is 7.

@Gladstone, I'm not sure why you feel I'm the poster boy for thinking we will suck. I just thought, "It's year two and all great coaches take off in year 2" was simplistic and unlikely. We will suck. Just like we sucked last year and under Sark. In my mind, finishing in the middle of the Pac 12 and playing in a dreckfest bowl = your team sucks.

Why does that number seem so familiar?

I am curious how Petersen is getting a pass for having a mirrior image Sark season, with another next year being predicted? Yet Sark got obliterated by everyone me included.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    Gladstone said:

What has to happen for Petersen to get on the hot seat? Winning 4 fucking games and being the worst offense in the conference again would turn me extremely, extremely skeptical. At that point, we would need 11+ wins in 2016 or I'd probably advocate firing him.

A 9 or 10 win 2016 season with a RS Frosh QB and the way CCP has recruited the lines would most likely look like CCP getting the program on the right track in year 3 heading into year 4.