Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question for roaddog and the others who think we'll be absolutely terrible in 2015

Comments

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
    Huh? In his first season, Sarkisian went 5-7 with Jake Locker at QB while Petersen went 8-6 with Miles (12 starts), Lindquist (1 start), and Williams (1 start).

Plus Sarkisian's 2009 class sucked because he was getting FREE PUB! at USC...that was very troubling while Petersen and Co. were grown-ups and secured a pretty good class to set themselves up for more success going forward rather than putting a big whole in the roster.

Utah State, Sac State, OSU, and WSU. Four games that we should win right there. After that Cal, Utah, Arizona all at home. Win at least 2 of those. 6 wins. @BallSacked likes Cal and I know they have Goff, but they have no defense and a terrible coach. Boise State or another unlikely upset on the road is 7.

@Gladstone, I'm not sure why you feel I'm the poster boy for thinking we will suck. I just thought, "It's year two and all great coaches take off in year 2" was simplistic and unlikely. We will suck. Just like we sucked last year and under Sark. In my mind, finishing in the middle of the Pac 12 and playing in a dreckfest bowl = your team sucks.

Why does that number seem so familiar?

I am curious how Petersen is getting a pass for having a mirrior image Sark season, with another next year being predicted? Yet Sark got obliterated by everyone me included.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Utah State, Sac State, OSU, and WSU. Four games that we should win right there. After that Cal, Utah, Arizona all at home. Win at least 2 of those. 6 wins. @BallSacked likes Cal and I know they have Goff, but they have no defense and a terrible coach. Boise State or another unlikely upset on the road is 7.

@Gladstone, I'm not sure why you feel I'm the poster boy for thinking we will suck. I just thought, "It's year two and all great coaches take off in year 2" was simplistic and unlikely. We will suck. Just like we sucked last year and under Sark. In my mind, finishing in the middle of the Pac 12 and playing in a dreckfest bowl = your team sucks.

Why does that number seem so familiar?

I am curious how Petersen is getting a pass for having a mirrior image Sark season, with another next year being predicted? Yet Sark got obliterated by everyone me included.
    I'm completely in LIPO mode with Petersen. I'm not convinced he's as great as many here. Any time you preside over the worst offense in te conference is a serious cause for concern. Same for last year's 8-6 record.

Boise was rolling before he took over and they are rolling now. Thinking Petersen will lead us to the top and past Oregon, or even Stanford is wishful thinking at this point.

That said, the talent this year sucks. Sark had multiple years and nothing ever changed. A lot of the talent issues aren't Petersen's fault. I guess I see your argument that it's Petersen's job to maximize the talent, and I agree. I'm just not sure how many coaches could actually produce more than 8 wins with what is available.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tequilla said:

I get saying that the fake punt call on Stanford was terrible. To say that we win the game without that call is pressing. There was ZERO indication that the offense was going to ever score at that point.

The Arizona game came down to a lack of execution.

The bowl game summarized the season in my mind as their was zero leadership offensively particularly from the QB position.

Until we see better from the QB position, it will be a challenge to accurately judge.

I don't think the overall talent on the roster will make us uncompetitive

If Travis Coons just hit a couple FG's, we would have won 9 games in 2012.
    What gives me the most hope is that the 2014 and 2015 classes were deliberately constructed to enhance the overall talent, depth, and balance of the roster going forward. We are stuck with Babushka another year but he easily could be gone if he has another crappy offensive year but those players have at least two more years with the program.

I mean fuck, Sarkisian signed QBs Nick Montana in 2010 and Joseph Gray Derrick Brown in 2011. He also signed just 2 OL in his 2011 class (both are our lone RS-SRs now) and Tufunga didn't have any other offers.

His 2012 class was his worst (besides the 2009 class with ZERO OL). He signed 25 guys but as RS-JRs and true SRs, 11 are already gone with 6 never having played a single down for UW. That's nearly 1 out of every 4 players...purely vomit.
    Tequilla said:

I get saying that the fake punt call on Stanford was terrible. To say that we win the game without that call is pressing. There was ZERO indication that the offense was going to ever score at that point.

The bowl game summarized the season in my mind as their was zero leadership offensively particularly from the QB position.

Until we see better from the QB position, it will be a challenge to accurately judge.

• SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,450

Tequilla said:

Quite honestly If Travis Coons just hit a couple FG's, we would have won 9 games in 2012.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Gladstone said:

What has to happen for Petersen to get on the hot seat? Winning 4 fucking games and being the worst offense in the conference again would turn me extremely, extremely skeptical. At that point, we would need 11+ wins in 2016 or I'd probably advocate firing him.

Gladstones Congratulations, youre the first to puke up the fire peterson rhetoric. He needs 5 years, he'll get 5 years... if he wins 1 fucking game next year, which is possible.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

I think we will win more than 4. There are no objective reasons to think this is a good team though.

way to go out on a limb.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

Gladstone said:

What has to happen for Petersen to get on the hot seat? Winning 4 fucking games and being the worst offense in the conference again would turn me extremely, extremely skeptical. At that point, we would need 11+ wins in 2016 or I'd probably advocate firing him.

Gladstones Congratulations, youre the first to puke up the fire peterson rhetoric. He needs 5 years, he'll get 5 years... if he wins 1 fucking game next year, which is possible.
    lather rinse repeat

puppy is right but its not like we haven't heard this before
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    edited June 2015

Gladstone said:

lather rinse repeat

From me. 1000 times because 90% of the idiots here are deaf and dumb
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Without beating a dead horse in the middle of the bar while drinking free beer, the reality is that EVERYTHING with this program comes back to needing to get credible QB play.

We were 4-5 in conference last year with EASILY the worst QB play in the conference. I'm struggling to think of which team had anything even remotely comparable. Getting to AVERAGE QB play would be a MASSIVE improvement.

Maybe I'm drinking purple colored gatorade right now, but I do think that Lindy CAN get to an average level of play. Ultimately, that will be up to Smith proving that he can adjust his offense and play calling in a manner to put him in positions to be successful. We're trading Miley's arm strength issues for Lindy's accuracy concerns. I tend to be of the opinion that you can work around accuracy problems easier than a lack of arm strength. Add to that that I think there's a good reason to believe that Lindy's far more likely to be aggressive in the running game COMBINED with the fact that I think he CARES a lot more and you have at least a reason for optimism.

The OL is blah, but should be better than at least some OL in the conference. There's talent at the RB position but there's nothing on the surface that makes you think upper end (unless Pepsi's boy Gaskin takes the position and runs with it). The WR/TE positions have some pieces that you can work with but again nothing that wows you. The big point to me though with our offensive talent (sans the QB position) is that while there's nothing there that will blow you away, it's got enough talent to be average enough to not handcuff the QBs ability to be successful.

Defensively, I've been highly bullish on what we'll find out of the DL. In some respects, I think there's a good chance that they may be as good as last year where the high end ability of Shelton, Kikaha, and even Hudson will be mitigated by a combination of younger players stepping up (Mathis, Qualls, Dissly) and additional depth. I question the LB depth but I do think that we'll piece together a reasonable unit there (I expect Feeney to have a huge year). The secondary should improve compared to last year and what we had at the end of the year. Kicking game should be about a wash.

I don't see any reason to not think that this roster can't get to 6 wins. It may not get to 9+. But 6 wins is very possible. 4 conference wins should be the baseline expectation. Improved QB play will be enough to make up for any shortcomings that come year over year.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,132
    Tequilla said:

Without beating a dead horse in the middle of the bar while drinking free beer, the reality is that EVERYTHING with this program comes back to needing to get credible QB play.

We were 4-5 in conference last year with EASILY the worst QB play in the conference. I'm struggling to think of which team had anything even remotely comparable. Getting to AVERAGE QB play would be a MASSIVE improvement.

Maybe I'm drinking purple colored gatorade right now, but I do think that Lindy CAN get to an average level of play. Ultimately, that will be up to Smith proving that he can adjust his offense and play calling in a manner to put him in positions to be successful. We're trading Miley's arm strength issues for Lindy's accuracy concerns. I tend to be of the opinion that you can work around accuracy problems easier than a lack of arm strength. Add to that that I think there's a good reason to believe that Lindy's far more likely to be aggressive in the running game COMBINED with the fact that I think he CARES a lot more and you have at least a reason for optimism.

The OL is blah, but should be better than at least some OL in the conference. There's talent at the RB position but there's nothing on the surface that makes you think upper end (unless Pepsi's boy Gaskin takes the position and runs with it). The WR/TE positions have some pieces that you can work with but again nothing that wows you. The big point to me though with our offensive talent (sans the QB position) is that while there's nothing there that will blow you away, it's got enough talent to be average enough to not handcuff the QBs ability to be successful.

Defensively, I've been highly bullish on what we'll find out of the DL. In some respects, I think there's a good chance that they may be as good as last year where the high end ability of Shelton, Kikaha, and even Hudson will be mitigated by a combination of younger players stepping up (Mathis, Qualls, Dissly) and additional depth. I question the LB depth but I do think that we'll piece together a reasonable unit there (I expect Feeney to have a huge year). The secondary should improve compared to last year and what we had at the end of the year. Kicking game should be about a wash.

I don't see any reason to not think that this roster can't get to 6 wins. It may not get to 9+. But 6 wins is very possible. 4 conference wins should be the baseline expectation. Improved QB play will be enough to make up for any shortcomings that come year over year.

Tequilla long. Read.

• BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    Tequilla said:

The question that I have is how can the QB play, the WR corp, the OL, and the Secondary each be worse than last year?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,379 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

That's kind of my point as well. Now that Peterman is in the big league, there wasn't anything I can point to from Year 1 and say "okay, I see improvement here" or what have you. The offense regressed, and the defense was porous despite having all those NFL draft picks. I get that there was a big adjustment and a Sark hangover, I was just surprised at how "meh" last year's Huskies were.

Danny Shelton credited Petersen for helping raise his game to higher levels
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club

Gladstone said:

lather rinse repeat

From me. 1000 times because 90% of the idiots here are deaf and dumb
    I know and talk more about college football than any bitch here. Fact check before spouting a giner ejac