Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Some WA State Teachers Are Striking

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
edited April 2015 in Tug Tavern
They want 3% pay raises (even though inflation has been nearly non-existent) and they want more money towards their health care yet they already have overly generous health care benefits.

Take a look at the WA State payrolls for Public Education, sort by total compensation, and then tell me if they really need more? I got too disgusted by elementary school teachers making nearly $100k to keep going:

data.spokesman.com/salaries/schools/2014/all-employees/

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,541 Standard Supporter
    It is disturbing the amount paid to district administrators across the state.

It is more disturbing when those same administrators send their own children to private schools.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    well, voters did authorize CPI increases for teachers that the legislature overruled and have refused to pay.

The special taxes to pay for them are still collected.

Inslee wants to keep those taxes and add new taxes so teachers can begin receiving what they should have been receiving for 8 years now... which will never be made up.

Yes, admin salaries and staffing have exploded in the meantime... which is truly curious since all public curriculum and 'pacing guidelines' now come from the state. Really, we only need one State teacher for each grade... and beam it into every classroom for this fucked up teaching method to continue.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,336 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2015
    I went through the first ten pages...I see no elementary teachers making close to 100K. Quite a few in the 20's and 30's

If teachers who teach your snotty kids to read and write shouldn't make a good salary...I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on who should. You want to pay teachers less and cut their benefits? Seems like a good model to attract top talent.....

Or are you jealous because you don't make very much and think others shouldn't either?
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyJW said:

I went through the first ten pages...I see no elementary teachers making close to 100K. Quite a few in the 20's and 30's

If teachers who teach your snotty kids to read and write shouldn't make a good salary...I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on who should. You want to pay teachers less and cut their benefits? Seems like a good model to attract top talent.....

Or are you jealous because you don't make very much and think others shouldn't either?

Teachers do fuck all. Get a summer job and quit complaining. Or better yet go do an actual stressful, skill-requiring job.

Seriously, fuck those cunts. They need to make 7.11 per hour.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,592
    You didn't try hard enough. For instance:

Stacie Ann Kang Ricard Highline School District Elementary Teacher $104,287 $21,550 $9,572 $135,409

$104,287 is this elementary's base salary, her "bonus" / stipend is $21,550, and her insurance / benefits are $9,572. Of course, this doesn't include her future pension costs or future health care costs.

The problem I have is that we have a bloated public school system with too many assistant principals and then teachers making significantly more than the average household income of Seattle (not WA State or the Puget Sound, but SEATTLE).

Teachers also get generous vacations and 3 months off in the summer. Exactly how do you explain that?

And of course I'm not jealous, who would want to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and know that they are fleecing hard working regular Joes and Janes in the private sector who are struggling to make ends meet? To pay for their excessive compensation packages, your average Joe and Jane have to fork over more in taxes.
    HuskyJW said:

edited April 2015
    HFNY said:

Stacie Ann Kang Ricard Highline School District Elementary Teacher $104,287 $21,550 $9,572 $135,409

$104,287 is this elementary's base salary, her "bonus" / stipend is $21,550, and her insurance / benefits are $9,572. Of course, this doesn't include her future pension costs or future health care costs.

The problem I have is that we have a bloated public school system with too many assistant principals and then teachers making significantly more than the average household income of Seattle (not WA State or the Puget Sound, but SEATTLE).

Teachers also get generous vacations and 3 months off in the summer. Exactly how do you explain that?

And of course I'm not jealous, who would want to wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and know that they are fleecing hard working regular Joes and Janes in the private sector who are struggling to make ends meet? To pay for their excessive compensation packages, your average Joe and Jane have to fork over more in taxes.

HuskyJW said:

LOL...

I find people's anger interesting.

BTW....you are posting in the middle of the work day saying you are a hard working Joe struggling to make ends meet.
    To the contrary, I find your complacency in the face of such fleecing interesting. Are you a teacher or WA State employee? For full-disclosure, I am not.

And can you quote me where I said I am personally struggling to make ends meet? Or, more accurately, was that another attempt to take a swipe at me because you disagree? To me, I like it when people try to get personal because it lets me know they are losing the factual debate.

Anyway, care to address the fact that an elementary school teacher is making over $104,000 in base salary for working 9 months (not including 2 weeks vacay for winter, 1 for spring break, and multiple shorter holidays? Or would you rather continue to divert towards personal swipes?
    HuskyJW said:

HFNY said:

HuskyJW said:

I find people's anger interesting.

BTW....you are posting in the middle of the work day saying you are a hard working Joe struggling to make ends meet.
    edited April 2015
    I wasn't being personal...I read your post as saying you are a hard working employee in the private sector struggling to make ends meet. So I pointed out the fact you are posting on the internet in the middle of the work day. Apologies if that is incorrect.

Nice to have a job where you can get paid and be on the internet huh. (insert faggoty wink here)

I am not a teacher nor a public employee in Washington.

I did find the salary schedule and hers doesn't match at all.....so somebody is wrong. Have no clue how her base is allegedly that high. Maybe the Principal was out for half the year and she served as Interim...I don't know. Maybe the data is wrong.

http://www.highlineschools.org/cms/lib07/WA01919413/Centricity/Domain/83/2013-14 Certificated Salary Schedule w-TRI 2013-08-27.pdf

The year before she made $53K....year before that she made $51K

I don't like to be on the other side from you often HFNY, but, there is a major backstory to ANY k-12 Teacher in WA state making over $100k. It's as rare as a Cuogar football win. I'd bet $1,000 Svenbuks the teacher you cited routinely puts in 70 hour plus weeks, has several assignments outside the classroom and works throughout the summer. The overwhelming majority of teachers can't come close to making this if they wanted to due to a lack of stipends.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Or when school attendance is compulsory and the Army has to take volunteers... wait whut?
    edited April 2015
    No big deal, I am an entrepreneur and run my own business. My customers are my bosses but if I keep them happy, I can largely pick my own hours and do work whenever I want. Of course, the greater the risk, the greater the reward (time, money, and lifestyle). If my customers dry up, I'm stuck with inventory (and a mortgage) so I could go out of business in a matter of months if I can't sell.

I have to imagine that that the salary schedule is very general and there are ways around it, especially if one has been in the system awhile and knows how to game it. Anyway, the published numbers of her specific compensation package are more likely correct than a general schedule.

Returning to risk vs. reward, it is also absurd that someone in such a low risk job (teachers rarely get fired, even in a recession) merits such excessive compensation. Some people work year round and finally reach $130k in total pay yet can be laid-off in an instance if the economy tanks.

It used to be that public sector jobs used to offer tremendous stability and good benefits in return for lower pay. As the public sector unions have grown outsized in political influence, the pay is now excessive, the benefits have gone from good to great, and they still have the tremendous stability. Of course to pay for it, they raise taxes on people in the private sector...the ones with the tenuous job stability, the same pay for 12 months of work, and 401ks and higher co-pays instead of guaranteed pensions and low (or no) co-pays.

As Bill Gates might say, IT DOES NOT COMPUTE@!!#@!@!@
    HuskyJW said:

I wasn't being personal...I read your post as saying you are a hard working employee in the private sector struggling to make ends meet. So I pointed out the fact you are posting on the internet in the middle of the work day. Apologies if that is incorrect.

Nice to have a job where you can get paid and be on the internet huh. (insert faggoty wink here)

I did find the salary schedule and hers doesn't match at all.....so somebody is wrong. Have no clue how her base is allegedly that high.

http://www.highlineschools.org/cms/lib07/WA01919413/Centricity/Domain/83/2013-14 Certificated Salary Schedule w-TRI 2013-08-27.pdf

I look forward to the day when teachers get paid millions and the military has to have bake sales

I look forward to the day when ALL government employees get paid the millions they deserve.
    edited April 2015
    HFNY said:

No big deal, I am an entrepreneur and run my own business. My customers are my bosses but if I keep them happy, I can largely pick my own hours and do work whenever I want. Of course, the greater the risk, the greater the reward (time, money, and lifestyle). If my customers dry up, I'm stuck with inventory (and a mortgage) so I could go out of business in a matter of months if I can't sell.

I have to imagine that that the salary schedule is very general and there are ways around it, especially if one has been in the system awhile and knows how to game it. Anyway, the published numbers of her specific compensation package are more likely correct than a general schedule.

Returning to risk vs. reward, it is also absurd that someone in such a low risk job (teachers rarely get fired, even in a recession) merits such excessive compensation. Some people work year round and finally reach $130k in total pay yet can be laid-off in an instance if the economy tanks.

It used to be that public sector jobs used to offer tremendous stability and good benefits in return for lower pay. As the public sector unions have grown outsized in political influence, the pay is now excessive, the benefits have gone from good to great, and they still have the tremendous stability. Of course to pay for it, they raise taxes on people in the private sector...the ones with the tenuous job stability, the same pay for 12 months of work, and 401ks and higher co-pays instead of guaranteed pensions and low (or no) co-pays.

As Bill Gates might say, IT DOES NOT COMPUTE@!!#@!

HuskyJW said:

I did find the salary schedule and hers doesn't match at all.....so somebody is wrong. Have no clue how her base is allegedly that high.

I get fired up at how much a fireman makes and what they do. WOW!

Everybody has their thing.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    HFNY said:

As Bill Gates might say, IT DOES NOT COMPUTE@!!#@!

HuskyJW said:

A REAL entrepreneur doesn't give a fuck about some government drones and their "safe" job situation. Why are you so upset by this?
    Is your inventory as vast as Amazon's?????
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    In Oregon, a five year middle school teacher makes about $45k year. Yes with summers off, but even if they teach summer school, you are looking at $60k. Good money, but not overwhelming considering they now have to have master degrees in order to be hired, so the salary isn't as great when you have to pay off the $40k in student debt.

I wouldn't make it five days as a teacher. Mostly, because many low income families treat school like government paid day care. What Johnny gets taught at school won't help him squat if his parents aren't there to help him apply it, or even provide some sort of parenting that teaches the kid responsibility. A lot of these kids go to school for 7 hours, dick around, then get home and play video games for the next 7-10 hours before bed. The parents aren't there to make sure homework is done, or even make sure the kid reads a damn comic book.

There are some middle and high school teachers that have to deal with kids that read at a first grade level. And now that schools try to use inclusion (putting high level kids and low level kids in the same classroom) Teachers have a whole new problem. How do you teach Johnny who reads at a first grade level, but not dumb it down enough that the high level kids also have to read "Cat in the Hat"?

Teachers deal with a lot of crap that most people would consider their greatest nightmare.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,541 Standard Supporter
    HuskyJW said:

I did find the salary schedule and hers doesn't match at all.....so somebody is wrong. Have no clue how her base is allegedly that high. Maybe the Principal was out for half the year and she served as Interim...I don't know. Maybe the data is wrong.

The year before she made $53K....year before that she made $51K

She probably got accused of sleeping with an administrator and the legal settlement was a years' pay to go away quietly.

In Oregon, a five year middle school teacher makes about $45k year. Yes with summers off, but even if they teach summer school, you are looking at $60k. Good money, but not overwhelming considering they now have to have master degrees in order to be hired, so the salary isn't as great when you have to pay off the $40k in student debt.

I wouldn't make it five days as a teacher. Mostly, because many low income families treat school like government paid day care. What Johnny gets taught at school won't help him squat if his parents aren't there to help him apply it, or even provide some sort of parenting that teaches the kid responsibility. A lot of these kids go to school for 7 hours, dick around, then get home and play video games for the next 7-10 hours before bed. The parents aren't there to make sure homework is done, or even make sure the kid reads a damn comic book.

There are some middle and high school teachers that have to deal with kids that read at a first grade level. And now that schools try to use inclusion (putting high level kids and low level kids in the same classroom) Teachers have a whole new problem. How do you teach Johnny who reads at a first grade level, but not dumb it down enough that the high level kids also have to read "Cat in the Hat"?

Teachers deal with a lot of crap that most people would consider their greatest nightmare.

This post makes too much sense.