Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL March Madness Thread

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Disappointing years can be salvaged by winning a few games in March ...

A good year can be disappointing by blowing a game in March that you're supposed to win. Jay Wright says "you say goodbye, and I say hello ... hello goodbye hello goodbye ..."
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    NCSU was incredibly fortunate to beat LSU, just proving even more that it's all about survive and advance.
    I should've stuck with my UNI over nova pick
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Jay Wright lmao

He's the new Rick Barnes.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Jay Wright lmao

He's the new Rick Barnes.

I'm quite sure Romar is a much better guy than either Wright or Barnes. Sure, they consistently have their teams in the Dance (9 out of last 10 years), but I bet they're ass holes and cheat in recruiting. We should all hold our heads high. Success is right around the corner for UW basketball.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    UVA looks absolutely terrible

no offense, lazy defense

can't shoot
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Bennett ball fails again.
  • Options
    Their defense is still suspect but duke looks destined for matchup against kentucky
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2015
    dhdawg said:

Their defense is still suspect but duke looks destined for matchup against kentucky

Problem is Kentucky's second team could take on Duke. they could probably pull off a 5 or 6 seed in the NBA
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866

dhdawg said:

Problem is Kentucky's second team could take on Duke. they could probably pull off a 5 or 6 seed in the NBA
    Please. This is beyond FS.

The only NBA teams Kentucky might beat on occasion are the Knicks and the Timberwolves. And that just once in a while, not every time.

A 4 or 5 seed - good Christ, go look at the standings and you tell me Kentucky can beat Dallas.

• Options
    You have to score the basketball to win ... defense can only take you so far.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

dhdawg said:

Kentucky just got manhandled on the offensive glass by Cincinnati. They'd be lucky to win 10-15 games in the nba
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2015
    Woosh?

I was at the Louisville Kentucky game this year, and I didn't walk away impressed with Kentucky by any means. Compared to the UNLV team, I just don't see it. If they go all the way I will be shocked. I could see Wisconsin or Arizona giving them a run

"Calipari isn't going to want to hear it, but this argument is something that's going to come up quite often this season due to multiple factors. First off, Kentucky's unusually loaded with talent this season. With nine McDonald's All-Americans, there are going to be guys on this team who have NBA potential and will still be riding the pine in important moments. It's Calipari's deepest Kentucky team ever, and that's something that college basketball truthers will mention as they make this argument.

While Kentucky has potentially one of the best college basketball teams ever, the NBA features one of its potential worst teams ever in the Philadelphia 76ers. It's a squad full of young draft picks, undrafted lottery tickets and cast-offs that might struggle to reach 10 wins. With Nerlens Noel featuring as their best player until last season's rookie of the year Michael Carter-Williams returns from injury this week, the Sixers are playing guys who honestly probably wouldn't start for this Kentucky team right now.

It's a perfect storm of potential greatness and historic awfulness that could make this topic come up often as the season progresses. However, it's also a ridiculous argument that isn't particularly worth having.

The problems with this comparison are numerous. Just generally, NBA players are professionals who are more fully committed to basketball than NCAA players are simply due to collegiate obligations. And I know there will be some sort of argument to this that college players don't do their own work, and that's fine. But even if you want to go down that route, simply keeping up the appearance of doing college work takes up time and energy that isn't being devoted to basketball. There are also practice limits in college that don't exist in the NBA, and that allows coaches to implement more complicated schemes that take time to learn. For instance, if you thought Andrew Harrison struggled at times last season trying to adjust to the speed of the college game, imagine him being immediately thrust into a whole new ballgame of well-coached and hard-working defensive players.

Even if you think the talent levels are close on these teams -- which, with the injuries the 76ers currently have right now to Carter-Williams and third overall pick Joel Embiid, I might follow along with while not agreeing totally -- it's just not plausible that Kentucky would win.

Calipari is one of the biggest promoters of his own players in the sport, and he's even telling you to not entertain it."
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Gladstone said:

dunno man

wiltjer is pretty fucking good and is stepping it up

Bob Bender will not be sharing his accomplishment.
  • Options
    Iowa has made a choice to play no interior defense today
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

4 teams UW beat are in the round of 32 (Utah, SDSU, Oklahoma, Oregon)
    yet UW didn't even make the NIT, that should tell you all you need to know

Update: beating 2 teams in the sweet 16 and not making the NIT is always special
  • Options
    Founders Club
    i know it goes against the zag narrative but i don't see UCLA beating this team. they're so damn solid inside and out and have depth to boot
  • Options
    Founders Club
    iowa really blows though. how do you give up so many uncontested 3s? pangos literally cannot get shots up if someone is guarding him.
  • Options
    Iowa fooled me on Thursday. I guess Davidson was just fucking horrible. Way too many easy layups for Gonzaga.
    I agree about the zags likely beating UCLA, although it's Gonzaga so you never know and UCLA has some pieces.
    They won't shoot 9-15 from 3 again
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    dhdawg said:

phineas said:

If gonzaga manages not to choke it all away tomorrow I give them a zero percent chance of beating ucla. Another classic gonzaga choke job is on the horizon, welcome to the elite 8, ucla

iowa is beating gonzaga. cook it
    Gonzaga already dropped UCLA big this year in Pauley.
  • Options
    This is Iowa's MO though ... they play great one night and then lay an egg the next.