Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL March Madness Thread

LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,628
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
Does anyone give a fuck? Outside of trying to win money by filling out a tourney bracket pool or betting on the vegas odds. Vegas has Kentucky around a 1-1 favorite to win it all. Pretty much a coin flip to take them or take the field. '

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    My favorite time of the year ... love the madness.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    On Wisconsin!

Racist crap?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

My favorite time of the year ... love the madness.

That was me...20 years ago..

I am watching most of the selection show for the first time in years but cbb sucks ass overall..
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    The committee was higher than usual this year.
  • Options
    I love basketball and my love of the game and my enjoyment has very few ties to that of the success of UW (although it would be significantly better if UW was better).
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

I love basketball and my love of the game and my enjoyment has very few ties to that of the success of UW (although it would be significantly better if UW was better).

If you love basketball, you should hate what has happened to college basketball.

Hope this helps.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

If you love basketball, you should hate what has happened to college basketball.

Hope this helps.
    You are assuming that I don't hate what has happened to basketball in general ...

And if you are assuming that, then you clearly haven't paid attention while I've completely ripped a number of different aspect in today's game.

That being said, I still love the tournament and even championship week. Everything that is bad about basketball right now (and there's plenty that I could go off on on a TL, DR type post of 8,119 words) is offset by all that is right about win and advance vs lose and go home.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With Tequilla on this. No matter how hard basketball, college in particular, tries to fuck up my love for the game, I can always feel it this time of year deep down in my plums. A beautiful bluish hue. All swollen.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Did we make the CBI yet?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I buy into the hype. I love the first weekend of the tournament. My interest wanes after that.
  • Options
    This will be an interesting tournament this year ... some random thoughts:

1) #1 seeds were really protected this year. I don't really look at any of them getting draws where I'm busy thinking that they have bad matchups for them. Duke has a waltz into the Regional Final IMO. Putting UNC as a 4 in Wisconsin's bracket is the worst type of matchup for UNC and one that Wisconsin should be able to combat. Put UNC in Villanova's bracket and you may have a matchup that creates problems. Put UNC in Kentucky's bracket and you make Kentucky at least go through a team that might be able to match up with them physically/athletically. Louisville and Georgetown are 2 of the softest 4 seeds I've ever seen.

2) UCLA getting into the dance (and not even being in the first four games) is a fucking joke and all about the $$$. Same with Indiana and to a lesser extent Texas who is probably the best team of the group but has had plenty of chances to prove whether or not they were a contender or not.

3) The Missouri Valley Conference continuously gets underappreciated by the Committee. What has the WCC done lately? Yet Gonzaga gets a 2 seed. When you look at their resume, it was Charmin soft by their standards this year. Instead, the MVC Tournament champs get a 5 seed for being nothing more than a 30-3 team. The MVC regular season champs get a 7 seed for being 28-4. The MVC has been to a Final Four in the last 2 years; was a #1 seed last year (and the Kentucky team that beat them by 2 not only lost in the Final, but probably played their best game of the tournament in that game), and one of the teams that has branched out from that conference (Creighton) has not been overmatched in their transition into the Big East. The seeding for these teams is just a flat out miss by the Committee.

4) Let's be honest, the most fun during the Tournament is the first weekend and the upsets. I expect the following teams to make a bit of noise the first weekend: Buffalo, Wichita St (will beat Kansas), Wofford, Belmont (Virginia's lack of scoring combined with Belmont's ability to shoot will make this a close game), Stephen F Austin, Eastern Washington, and Davidson (offensive efficiency could create significant problems for Gonzaga).

5) Kentucky's path to the title isn't a forgone conclusion IMO. To beat Kentucky, you have to be able to do a couple of things well: control tempo, avoid turnovers, and find some way to neutralize Kentucky's height. Since only a handful of teams can matchup with their height, the more likely way to beat Kentucky will be to have versatile bigs that have the ability to step out, space the court, and force Kentucky to either come out and guard with their bigs or go small themselves as their guards are the weaker part of their team. Notre Dame's offensive efficiency could create challenges for Kentucky with potentially only a day to prepare. Wisconsin is probably the 2nd best team in the country and if they don't make it to the Final Four, then Arizona would be the next logical choice in the West and they have the required size, strength, speed to be able to slug out a game with Kentucky. Then, in the National Title game, you have the potential of a team like Duke (perhaps greater top end talent than Kentucky), Villanova (strong guard play), and my sleeper team in Iowa State (similar to Notre Dame in offensive efficiency).
  • Options
    LaZorisLaZoris Member Posts: 1,628
    Standard Supporter
    Agree on the MVC. Wichita has been wanting to play Kansas forever and the fan base is as annoying as the zaggot fanbase wanting to play UW every year. If they get past Indiana they get KU. Also, UNI is just a solid team. They are in the dreaded 5-12 game but they could put together a nice little run and will play Nova tough if they win a couple games.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2015
    The whole thing is annoying. Obviously the product is wretched at times and that's 80% of it. The commercials are even worse. Oh look, you made a commercial with some office dork using a random, unreliable, stupid way to pick winners for his pool. Then the Sea World whale picked New Mexico St over Duke. Isn't that cute and amazing. Then there's the commercials in which Betsy, the mild mannered secretary who doesn't know Oral Roberts from UCLA wins the office pool! Wow, what a fucking story. DIAFF.

I get it's capitalism but maybe we can stop calling Coca Cola and ATT "corporate champions" because they sponsor a collegiate basketball tournament?

• Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    LaZoris said:

Does anyone give a fuck?

This guy does.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @Tequilla, you're still on the Creighton bandwagon? They were horrible this year and were plungered by Baylor last year.

The MVC sucked this year. Northern Iowa only ranked opponent was Wichita State. Those two teams were the only good teams in that conference. They are good teams, but it's tough to say they should be seeded higher based on the conference's past results in the tourney.

Of course Gonzaga is overrated. Welcome to 2004.

What is wrong with Louisville as a 4 seed? They were ranked in the top 15 in the last poll and just beat Virginia a few days ago.