Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL March Madness Thread

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I fully get that Creighton was terrible this year. And when getting back to last year, Baylor was a terrible matchup for what Creighton did and we all know that in a tournament setting it's as much about matchups as anything else. My point being that you take a team like Creighton that 2 years ago was a MVC champion with a 13-5 conference record (and a Wichita St team that got to the Final Four), then last year they go to the Big East and finish 14-4 in that league, and people still think that despite that success plus Wichita St going to the Final Four just two years ago that the MVC isn't a legit conference and at minimum the premier mid-major conference ahead of the WCC (assuming that a league like the A10 is between high major and mid-major).

The whole who have you played argument to me is difficult as a lot of these teams can't get the games scheduled that we all want them to play. Most higher end programs won't play home and home games against these teams (hard to blame them for that). But at the same time, not sure it makes that much sense for these teams to just play one off games on the road in what then turn into self-fulfilling arguments that want to say that the high majors are clearly superior.

When it comes down to it, I think you start seeing the value of a league through their performance in the NCAAs. When you get programs getting deep into the tournament, or when you watch their quality in those kinds of situations (see Wichita last year in the loss to Kentucky in what was arguably one of the top 3 games of the entire tournament from a quality standpoint), I feel like you need to keep that in mind when evaluating the quality of a conference and the top end teams there.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    This might be the year the Zaggots break the S16 barrier. Very favorable matchups for them. Davidson and Iowa? With Iowa State in the S16? Shit.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

This might be the year the Zaggots break the S16 barrier. Very favorable matchups for them. Davidson and Iowa? With Iowa State in the S16? Shit.

Iowa State is a TERRIBLE matchup for Gonzaga IMO. Probably the worst team that they could run up against in the field because their bigs will not be able to guard Iowa St's bigs on the perimeter. Possible that Gonzaga may be able to play a zone ... but Iowa State shoots the ball way too well for that to work out over 40 minutes.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I could actually see Oregon giving Wisconsin a hard time. A team of mostly white guys usually doesn't do a whole lot anyways. Could definitely see Wichita St. beating Kansas, who for the first time in who knows how long has a garbage lineup this year. I agree with others in this thread, I'm not as excited for the tournament this year.
  • Options

I could actually see Oregon giving Wisconsin a hard time. A team of mostly white guys usually doesn't do a whole lot anyways. Could definitely see Wichita St. beating Kansas, who for the first time in who knows how long has a garbage lineup this year. I agree with others in this thread, I'm not as excited for the tournament this year.

Have you missed the part where Oregon has really struggled on the inside this year - see any game they played against Arizona where they got manhandled off the court because they couldn't grab a rebound. Wisconsin will give them the same problem. And I don't get the whole "white guy" thing given that the same group got to the Final Four last year and probably wins the title if not for Harrison making a low percentage shot at the end.

Oregon could have had the potential of getting deep against a team that is undisciplined and plays limited defense. If they were the 8 against Duke, I could see them getting hot and having a shot. But they've consistently shown all year that when playing against a team that plays focused defense with a strong ability to rebound they've been in huge problems.

Kansas doesn't have a garbage team ... but it's not as strong as they normally are. Self has probably gotten the most out of his team. Oubre is pretty good ... just a bit inconsistent for my taste. Wichita State's metrics this year are comparable to last year. Should this game happen, this should be one of the better games of the tournament.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

I think Gonzaga gets to the sweet 16. Iowa State is pretty good though and I think they will beat Gonzaga.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This thread is a Tequilla Long; Didn't Read nightmare.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited March 2015

agree on wichita st. over kansas. KU has looked really vulnerable. I could also see gonzaga going out early (WIW)
    Oregon got badly exposed by Arizona, no one can guard kaminsky on that roster
  • Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Wisconsin rolls Oregon by 20. Maybe more.

Most efficient offense in the country, doesn't turn it over, 5 guys that can shooot it, Frank the Tank completely unguardable by the Altman rapists.

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'll take the field.
  • Options
    So @RoadDawg55 can laugh at me later for how dialed in I am ... I will take Villanova over Arizona for the title.

In a Kentucky vs the field bet, the field looks strong to me. Computer models that I've seen place both Wisconsin and Arizona as toss ups against Kentucky.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Iron Law of March Madness. Gonzaga doesn't make it past the Sweet 16. I have them losing in round two to Davidson.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Wisconsin is going to do to Oregon, what Oregon's football team does to all their inferior opponents. Wiscy will beat Oregon by 30. If Altman takes this team to the Round of 32, it's an unbelievable accomplishment given the dumpster fire this team was in October. I just wish I could see an Altman coached Oregon team that had Ernie Kent's recruits in the mid 2000's
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

So @RoadDawg55 can laugh at me later for how dialed in I am ... I will take Villanova over Arizona for the title.

In a Kentucky vs the field bet, the field looks strong to me. Computer models that I've seen place both Wisconsin and Arizona as toss ups against Kentucky.

I'm not a huge AZ guy, but I'm not sold on Villanova in that watered down "Big East," though I haven't watched any of their gaymes this year and I don't know much about them.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Just turned on ESPN and who would have thought dez would be the only husky playing in the nit or ncaa.

Whoops
  • Options

Tequilla said:

I'm not a huge AZ guy, but I'm not sold on Villanova in that watered down "Big East," though I haven't watched any of their gaymes this year and I don't know much about them.
    I've never been a guy that look at the chalk and expects that to happen. Kentucky is good ... just not 100% convinced they are as good as everybody seems to think they are. They are being crowned but haven't really been tested by a good team in at least a few months.

I'm not a huge fan of Arizona, but my thought process factors in the fact that Arizona has the size that can negate Kentucky (Wisconsin has the same) and that when faced with the thoughts of the Wisconsin vs Arizona game, Arizona may be slightly better this year and Wisconsin lacks some of the depth they had last year. The lack of depth really concerns me otherwise I'd have picked Wisconsin to win the whole thing - too much risk with foul trouble.

I really like Villanova's draw. They are a solid team that does a lot of things I like from their unselfishness offensively to their strong positional defense that creates transition opportunities for them. This is probably the best Nova team since the Scotty Reynolds team that got to the Final Four. I'm not sold on Virginia in that bracket because they can really struggle to score and I just don't have faith that in a game against good teams that you can expect to win the game 50-48.

If the champion is outside of Duke, Wisconsin, Arizona, Villanova, and Duke, I'd be really surprised.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2015
    Future UW head coach Leon Rice Archie Miller in a battle against DaytonBoise State on TRUTV
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,981
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Fuck all the haters this is the best tournament on the planet. And no don't say Stanley cup or World Cup this is fucking America damn it.

Eastern covers the 8 vs Georgetown
    Valpo over Maryland

Zona wins the whole fucking thing.

• Options
    Looking forward to the Eastern game - will be down in Portland for the evening session tonight. 2 of the better games of the day.

Really like the Valpo call over Maryland. I have both Buffalo and Valpo winning against 2 overrated teams - West Virginia more or less beat up on the underbelly of the Big 12 ... any team that shoots the ball at 41% is a ripe candidate for an upset IMO.