Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Lots of excitement and expectations

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

Year three was the make or break year.

Agree if a coach hasn't established himself by year three then he's not the guy. Sark had his chance in 2011 when he started off 5-1 in year three to prove he was the guy.

If you are having to say year five is a make or break year then you know he's not the guy.
  • santanasantana Member Posts: 75
    Is it the make or break year yet?
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    I'm not sure that is true. I've noticed Softy changing his tone a bit. Same with the Dawgman radio show. All within the safety zone of not losing their access to the football team. But, it's not 100% roses. It's down to say 95%??? Moreover, we already know the AD reads forums and has for sometime. Some of Sark's quotes lend themselves to answering criticisms from this board in particular. Where else would the AD receive critical feedback? It's not coming from the media. Where else would the AD get a pulse of the fan base?

“I think we can be electric,” Sarkisian said after the Cal game. “I think we’re coming into our own. It was great that Mykenna Ikehara got his first start at center tonight and played fantastic against a great defensive line. We’re very young. We lose two guys. We’re a very young offense that continued to grow throughout the season, and tonight, we showed some explosiveness that we can continue to grow on.”

Did Ikehara ever play a snap again for us? I remember being excited about him going forward as I think he was only a freshman then he never played again.

Funny how we returned our entire team yet in 2010 I kept hearing how "young" the team was after the 3-6 start.

I remember Ikehara playing a little bit in 2010, but he got injured and had to retire before the 2011 season.

As for the OP, Sark says this type of shit every year. There was more excitement for the 2010 season then there is for this upcoming season. If it wasn't for the new stadium, there would be very little excitement in the program.

RoadDawg - you seem to be moving over to the very negative side lately. Not sure if it is an attempt to fit it, but on your podcast you come through with some very good insight. I think we can all agree that this is a make or break year for the HC, and I think that horse is being served at your local Burger King. But there is nothing wrong with pointing positives in the program,

As for excitement, I think there is a lot of talent on this roster, and the type of athlete in the program has change over the last 5 years. Once again it will be up to the coaches to maximize that talent.

It would be cool if you guys did a podcast comparing certain position groups vs. 5 years ago.

A good example are our LBs & CBs:

I think Shaq-Feeney-Timu-Princeton is our best LB group going into a season in years. Butler-Mason-Victor were very good at the end of the year, but Donald blew up his SR and not sure many people expected that.

And it nice to finally have some size at CB:

Peters - 5'11" 193
    Dixon - 6'1" 196
    Kelly - 6'2" 183
    King - 6'2" 178
    Wallace - 5'11" 171
    Enewally - 6'1" 184
    Beaver - 6'0" 192 (even though he been moved to S)

Just saying your football post are really good and you stand out when not toeing the company line.

When you emphasize the positives of a mediocre program, you keep a mediocre coach far longer than you should.

Great non-defense of Sark as always though.
    News flash Sparky...what we say on this board has ZERO impact on the program.

But keep up the good fight.

HTH :D
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

“I think we can be electric,” Sarkisian said after the Cal game. “I think we’re coming into our own. It was great that Mykenna Ikehara got his first start at center tonight and played fantastic against a great defensive line. We’re very young. We lose two guys. We’re a very young offense that continued to grow throughout the season, and tonight, we showed some explosiveness that we can continue to grow on.”

Did Ikehara ever play a snap again for us? I remember being excited about him going forward as I think he was only a freshman then he never played again.

Funny how we returned our entire team yet in 2010 I kept hearing how "young" the team was after the 3-6 start.

I remember Ikehara playing a little bit in 2010, but he got injured and had to retire before the 2011 season.

As for the OP, Sark says this type of shit every year. There was more excitement for the 2010 season then there is for this upcoming season. If it wasn't for the new stadium, there would be very little excitement in the program.

RoadDawg - you seem to be moving over to the very negative side lately. Not sure if it is an attempt to fit it, but on your podcast you come through with some very good insight. I think we can all agree that this is a make or break year for the HC, and I think that horse is being served at your local Burger King. But there is nothing wrong with pointing positives in the program,

As for excitement, I think there is a lot of talent on this roster, and the type of athlete in the program has change over the last 5 years. Once again it will be up to the coaches to maximize that talent.

It would be cool if you guys did a podcast comparing certain position groups vs. 5 years ago.

I think Shaq-Feeney-Timu-Princeton is our best LB group going into a season in years. Butler-Mason-Victor were very good at the end of the year, but Donald blew up his SR and not sure many people expected that.

Peters - 5'11" 193
    Dixon - 6'1" 196
    Kelly - 6'2" 183
    King - 6'2" 178
    Wallace - 5'11" 171
    Enewally - 6'1" 184

Just saying your football post are really good and you stand out when not toeing the company line.

I don't mean to come across as too negative. It's not to fit in, I just don't think Sark is a good coach, and it pisses me off because we have enough talent that the right coach could make some noise. I am also starting to agree that Woodward is a moron who is not a football guy. Crazy Larry, alumni event being the Idaho State game, how this fuck holds a football. I'm worried about him in charge.

You are right, there are some postive things going on in the program, but there are just as many negative things which is why we always finish 7-6. It bothers me that mediocrity is so easily accepted by many fans, the local media, and in the administration.

I could go on and on about players I like in the program, but in the end, that means very little when we have the wrong coach. What we have seen from Sark is what we are going to get. I would love to be wrong, but I don't think we will suddenly start playing well on the road, I don't think the OL will be any better than average, we are paper thin at DT, and I doubt we will suddenly be a consistently physical, disciplined team. Sorry that I seem negative, but at this time, I'm not all that optimistic about the program.

Now there is a good post. I agree with everything you said, especially about the lines. We cannot control that Sark is coaching this year, so we might as well talk about Xs & Os and the Jimmy and the Joes. Reminds me of the Private Ryan seen about bitching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaVfHntwVc4
    Why talk about guys that we're just going to hate in two years anyway?

We should be talking about replacements for Woodward and Sark. Unless those replacements are handled correctly, it's more Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Did you learn anything from the first 0-12?
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

just plug your ears when Sark speaks. Wait for results then maybe he can open his jabbering pie hole

Irish, don't be sorry. Doogman has ruined this entire fanbase. Don't be sorry, be pissed. Pin the tail on the jackass (Sark) that's what a forum is for

So was year four.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    boobs, come up with something different. Lather, insert and squirt would be original and better. Haysoos the same circle-jerk stuff gets old. Bunch of sheep around here, see Damone!

"We’re very young. We lose two guys. We’re a very young offense that continued to grow throughout the season, and tonight, we showed some explosiveness that we can continue to grow on" Totally synonymous coaches Lambo and DJ would kill to only lose two starters. Rose Bowl!

Sarks best team was '09. I actually believe this team is better, finally. 10 wins is impossible right? Oregon does it every year.
  • IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158

"We’re very young. We lose two guys. We’re a very young offense that continued to grow throughout the season, and tonight, we showed some explosiveness that we can continue to grow on" Totally synonymous coaches Lambo and DJ would kill to only lose two starters. Rose Bowl!

Sarks best team was '09. I actually believe this team is better, finally. 10 wins is impossible right? Oregon does it every year.
    Oregon gets to play Washington and misses Oregon each year. Not really a fair comparison. :)
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

Peters - 5'11" 193
    Dixon - 6'1" 196
    Kelly - 6'2" 183
    King - 6'2" 178
    Wallace - 5'11" 171
    Enewally - 6'1" 184

I don't mean to come across as too negative. It's not to fit in, I just don't think Sark is a good coach, and it pisses me off because we have enough talent that the right coach could make some noise. I am also starting to agree that Woodward is a moron who is not a football guy. Crazy Larry, alumni event being the Idaho State game, how this fuck holds a football. I'm worried about him in charge.

You are right, there are some postive things going on in the program, but there are just as many negative things which is why we always finish 7-6. It bothers me that mediocrity is so easily accepted by many fans, the local media, and in the administration.

I could go on and on about players I like in the program, but in the end, that means very little when we have the wrong coach. What we have seen from Sark is what we are going to get. I would love to be wrong, but I don't think we will suddenly start playing well on the road, I don't think the OL will be any better than average, we are paper thin at DT, and I doubt we will suddenly be a consistently physical, disciplined team. Sorry that I seem negative, but at this time, I'm not all that optimistic about the program.

Now there is a good post. I agree with everything you said, especially about the lines. We cannot control that Sark is coaching this year, so we might as well talk about Xs & Os and the Jimmy and the Joes. Reminds me of the Private Ryan seen about bitching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaVfHntwVc4
    So start an Xs and Os thread. Why do the guys who want to talk Xs and Os never do so? Because while we are mired in shit, Xs And Os don't matter. Shitty leadership is all that matters. So either start an Xs and Os thread or shut the fuck up

Sorry, got a big game in my NCAA 14 Online Dynasty tonight and I ran out of hot pockets so I have no time.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

So was year four.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
    boobs, come up with something different. Lather, insert and squirt would be original and better. Haysoos the same circle-jerk stuff gets old. Bunch of sheep around here, see Damone!
    The whole point of this thread is that Husky football is an neverending cycle of mediocrity. No reason to be original when the topic is so stale.
  • greenearplugsgreenearplugs Member Posts: 16
    Bill Gates has a great talk about teachers. Without him knowing much about teaching (the "x's and o's") he showed that after 3 years, the improvement in teaching skill is 0. You are either a good teacher or a bad teacher by year 3...whatever you are in year 3, you will be in year 20. He used this as an reason against giving years of service raises, and instead argued for performance based raises. Of course the shitty teachers were against anything of the sort, but the scenario with sark is similiar. He is who he is at this point.

And furthermore, when Kim says there are reasons to be optimistic, he is being a fucking idiot as usual. Vegas has us going 7-5 this year...Does Kim think he can beat vegas? if so, why the fuck is he running dawgman and not living in a yacht and calling his sports bookie every morning. A rational person would realize we are set up for a mediocre season. Most of the deeper level stats show little performance over the past few years, so unless there is some huge performance increase this year, Kim and the rest are being unrealistically optimistic. As been said here before, that is what is killing the program. People not being able to see reality.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Bill Gates has a great talk about teachers*. Without him knowing much about teaching (the "x's and o's") he showed that after 3 years, the improvement in teaching skill is 0. You are either a good teacher or a bad teacher by year 3...whatever you are in year 3, you will be in year 20. He used this as an reason against giving years of service raises, and instead argued for performance based raises. Of course the shitty teachers were against anything of the sort, but the scenario with sark is similiar. He is who he is at this point.

And furthermore, when Kim says there are reasons to be optimistic, he is being a fucking idiot as usual. Vegas has us going 7-5 this year...Does Kim think he can beat vegas? if so, why the fuck is he running dawgman and not living in a yacht and calling his sports bookie every morning. A rational person would realize we are set up for a mediocre season. Most of the deeper level stats show little performance over the past few years, so unless there is some huge performance increase this year, Kim and the rest are being unrealistically optimistic. As been said here before, that is what is killing the program. People not being able to see reality.

*citation needed

Bill Gates has a great talk about teachers. Without him knowing much about teaching (the "x's and o's") he showed that after 3 years, the improvement in teaching skill is 0. You are either a good teacher or a bad teacher by year 3...whatever you are in year 3, you will be in year 20. He used this as an reason against giving years of service raises, and instead argued for performance based raises. Of course the shitty teachers were against anything of the sort, but the scenario with sark is similiar. He is who he is at this point.

Vegas is full of negaDawgs or coog/duck trolls trying to make real dawg fans look bad.
  • greenearplugsgreenearplugs Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2013

Bill Gates has a great talk about teachers*. Without him knowing much about teaching (the "x's and o's") he showed that after 3 years, the improvement in teaching skill is 0.

*citation needed
    go to 3:54 in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnfzZEREfQs#t=3m54s

i draw a lot of parallels between this and the coaching search....and the "10 years of experience needed" that i always here as well in the job market. I'm willing to bet 90% of professions follow exactly like teaching...experience is largely complete bullshit...you are you who are whether you 60 or 25. if you suck at math at 25, you will suck at math at 60. Sark sucks now and he's going to suck in 20 years.

I'll eventually post it here, but i did an analysis of the past 40 years of pac10 coaches. Basically, with sarks record where its at now, the chance of him ever winning 10+ games is about 8%. That is EVER winning 10 games. Meanwhile the chance of a random coach winning 10+ in their FIRST season is about 8%. Of course woodward probably has a art history major working for him as his data analyst so i'm confident woodward will go with his "gut" and we'll be stuck with 7/8 win season for the next 5 years

Bill Gates has a great talk about teachers*. Without him knowing much about teaching (the "x's and o's") he showed that after 3 years, the improvement in teaching skill is 0.

*citation needed

i draw a lot of parallels between this and the coaching search....and the "10 years of experience needed" that i always here as well in the job market. I'm willing to bet 90% of professions follow exactly like teaching...experience is largely complete bullshit...you are you who are whether you 60 or 25. if you suck at math at 25, you will suck at math at 60. Sark sucks now and he's going to suck in 20 years.

I'll eventually post it here, but i did an analysis of the past 40 years of pac10 coaches. Basically, with sarks record where its at now, the chance of him ever winning 10+ games is about 8%. That is EVER winning 10 games. Meanwhile the chance of a random coach winning 10+ in their FIRST season is about 8%. Of course woodward probably has a art history major working for him as his data analyst so i'm confident woodward will go with his "gut" and we'll be stuck with 7/8 win season for the next 5 years
    TL; DW
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

*citation needed
    go to 3:54 in the video below:

Saw your study on Dawgman. So you decided to take the plunge here?

Kim and his army of minions are totally delusional.