Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Championship defense didn't show up

CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Everyone will rightfully blame it all on Bevell for the horrible call but the D was mediocre overall last night. Really bad in the 4th and gave up the game winning 14 points. Very uncharacteristic.

Blame it on injuries and what not but the Pats offense outplayed the D when it really counted.

Now we get to see if this team was really a one year wonder next year. They can come back and play like their hair is on fire and do something special or mope about what happened last year. Either way it will be interesting.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    They were pretty fucking banged up going into this game and then they lost Lane. The DL did a good job, but you wonder how much better they could have played with Mebane and/or Hill in there.

Anyway, Quinn is gone and looks like the DBs coach will be promoted to DC.

I think Pom-pom Pete will get these guys fired up to make another run in 2015. Sure, they'll mope for a while, but they'll be able to put it behind them once they report to camp.

On offense, they really need to put together a world-class OL. With the WRs, it'll be interesting to see if Richardson and Matthews will be able to win starting positions. I like Kearse, mostly because I'm a Husky homer, but he has become really inconsistent (like he was in his UW days). I don't blame him too much on that one drop along the left sideline, because Butler got in there and hacked at his right arm. But, a stronger, more consistent WR comes down with the catch.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Quinn or Carroll never made adjustments. I'm leaning toward Carroll because this was similar to the USC/Texas game where he had no answer to Vince Young. This time he had no answer to Shane Vereen and couldn't take Tharold Simon out of the game. Deactivating Burley looks terrible now because he was more suitable in the slot than Simon was.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    Swaye's Wigwam
    San Diego worked them with quick passes too. That's where the injuries hurt.

That's how the Bruins beat the 90 Huskies.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

I remember that f'n game with Tommy Maddox throwing those short slants. Lambo's defense had no answer for it all game.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    whlinder said:

Now we get to see if this team was really a one year wonder next year. They can come back and play like their hair is on fire and do something special or mope about what happened last year. Either way it will be interesting.

One year wonder? Huh?
    The Seahawks have been a top 5 team each of the past 3 years. They are now 2-2 in coin flip games:
    L @ ATL in 2012-3 playoffs
    W vs SF in 2013-4 playoffs
    W vs GB in 2014-5 playoffs
    L vs NE in Superb Owl 49

That shit happens. Brady/Belichick are 4-2 in coin flip Superb Owls. The 49ers lost a coin-flip game in the 2011-2 NFC Championship, then won it the next year vs. ATL, promptly lost the Superb Owl in a coin flip, and lost last year's NFC Champ. 1-3 recently.

That's football in the salary cap era. The differences between the top teams are very small and come down to luck (breaks, penalties, injuries, matchups) and a handful of amazing plays (Sherman batted INT last year's NFC Champ, Butler last night).
    The Seahawks won a fucking Super Bowl and made it back the following year.

You know how hard that shit is in the NFL.

In today's salary cap ownership's commitment and a sharp GM are the difference.

Paul Allen wants to win and is showing he will pay to do it. Schneider is proving to be a great GM.

As long as those two are in position the Seahawks will be fine.

Of course ... Paul Allen looks near death ... so there is that.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Simon is fucking terrible. He can only play the fade. Losing Lane was huge.
  • Options

The 12s said he was the next Richard Sherman though before playing a snap.

Now of course they never said that and have all hated him from the get go.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Avril going out was a huge loss to an already depleted DL and Lane's injury was big. Still, the LOB was outplayed and did not come through. The defense was not 100% but still should have egg on its face for giving up a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The 12s said he was the next Richard Sherman though before playing a snap.

Now of course they never said that and have all hated him from the get go.
    Kris Richard and Sherman said he had the potential to be as good as Sherman. The 12's just regurgitate whatever they read or hear.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited February 2015
    Losing Avril didn't help either. Bennett was the only person getting any pass rush. Avril didn't get any while he was in the game but I still would have felt a lot better with him in there in the fourth.

I'm not mad at the defense. Their three superstars were banged up and they lost two other essential pieces during the game. They still held Tom Brady to 6.6 yards per pass and picked him off twice. It definitely was their worst performance in years, but it's not like they got shredded. They were still one fucktarded offensive play away from their second ring. And we never get past GB without their performance.

The offense OC lost this game.
  • Options
    I'm not mad at them they played an ok game just not a championship one
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Despite all that, 3ft is all what was needed to win the game.

Bizarro world... They panicked and were out coached
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    jecornel said:

I don't get the panicked thing, I don't think there was any panic at all. I think Bevell got cocky and cute and overconfident. I didn't see any panic.

Either way, it was FS.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Saying panicked because they dilated up the worst play possible... weren't thinking clearly and Carroll displayed it after the game
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    They have every right to be upset.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Does anyone know if Carroll knew the play-call or if he lets his coordinators call the games? I rarely see Carroll with a headset on and noticed in replays he didn't have one on during the INT. Does a position coach with a headset on relay information / calls to him instead?

I'm just curious who made the call. Even if it had scored, I would've disagreed with it since there was nearly a minute and a half on the clock so if they didn't score, at least they would burn clock. NE would've needed just a FG to put it into OT so a pass didn't make sense there either.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I kicked a fucking pumpkin into oblivion when we lost that game. I was pretty newly married and I think my wife started having second thoughts as pieces of pumpkin went flying everywhere. She has since figured out that I'm only psychotic when it comes to Husky football - and as things have progressed over the last 25 years, I've learned to let Husky losses go by without episodes of psychosis, too.

I didn't kick anything yesterday - I was just at a loss how an NFL coach could be so fucked.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

jecornel said:

I don't get the panicked thing, I don't think there was any panic at all. I think Bevell got cocky and cute and overconfident. I didn't see any panic.

Either way, it was FS.
    The postgame explanation suggests panic, but you might be right too.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pete Carroll finally won a Super Bowl for New England. Congrats!