Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tequilla's Thoughts - Final Four Oppression

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

The big 10 is a joke. They didn't have a single win over a power 5 ooc opponent if I remember right. That's hard to do as a conference.

If Ohio st was Iowa this never would have happened. But they're not and a good Ohio state team does not get left out. If tcu were Texas or Oklahoma there is not a chance in hell they would have been overpasses. Same for Baylor.

All that being said you could make a case for each team and each team can blame themselves.

The Big 12 is also horrible. It's all splitting hairs. You can make a case for each team. IMO, the committee got it right.
    Beat Minnesota convincingly. Nothing else matters.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    In the next 5 years, TCU has home/home series against Arkansas (AD Jeff Long) and Ohio ... fucking take the plunger to both of them.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

The big 10 is a joke. They didn't have a single win over a power 5 ooc opponent if I remember right. That's hard to do as a conference.

If Ohio st was Iowa this never would have happened. But they're not and a good Ohio state team does not get left out. If tcu were Texas or Oklahoma there is not a chance in hell they would have been overpasses. Same for Baylor.

All that being said you could make a case for each team and each team can blame themselves.

The Big 12 is also horrible. It's all splitting hairs. You can make a case for each team. IMO, the committee got it right.
    If your opinion coincides with Butler Cabin's opinion (allegedly), then at minimum 81% of the time you should reconsider your opinion.
    Look in the official playoff thread. I paint a picture with facts. Texas- worst season since 2010. Before that, 1997. Oklahoma- Worst season since 2009. OK State- worst season since 2007. Iowa State has gone from a team capable of upsets to total disaster. Texas Tech has gone from above average to horrible. No standout non conference wins. It's not a good conference this year.
    Oklahoma: Lost to TCU and Baylor (two teams better than them); lost to KState because they couldn't make a fucking kick; gifted the game to Okie Lite

Texas: Losses to BYU early in the year (no QB), UCLA, Baylor, Oklahoma, KState, and TCU. All 4 Big12 teams were better than them.

Okie Lite: Had massive QB issues the 2nd half of the year (losses to Florida St, West Virginia, TCU, KState, Texas, and Baylor - again, probably each of these teams better than them).

The problem when you play everybody like the Big12 did this year, the losses pile up. It's not like with the Big 10 where each division has 2-3 good teams and everybody else is mostly dreck. The closest is the SEC West or the PAC - but in both of those cases losing to each other is cited as a sign of how good the conference is.

On top of all of that, who claimed that it was a superior conference this year? I stated it was the 4th of the 5 power conferences. But the 5th conference was the Big 10. It's amazing how everybody seems to forget what was being said about that conference for 2/3 of the year this year. It's amazing how everybody seems to forget why TCU was rated higher than Ohio for the last half of the year. It's amazing how everybody seems to forget the struggles that Ohio has had against dreckfest Big10 teams. And it's amazing how everybody forgets all of that and adopts the narrative about how impressive Ohio's win last night was (and it was) and using that as justification to punt on the Big 12, the TCU vs. Baylor debate, and to get the bigger $$$ draw.

All of the arguments are bullshit. TCU and Baylor lack the $$$ of Ohio. Big10 >>> Big12 when it comes to money. All of the other reasons are just fucking bullshit fluff to the $$$ factor.
  • Options
    cesarchavezdawgcesarchavezdawg Member Posts: 19
    5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla, I know you mean Ohio "State" not Ohio but can you please add that. It's annoying.

TIA.
  • Options

The only reason you are spinning it Tequilla is because you are a TCU fan.

Spinning what?

If Baylor was 4th ahead of TCU - I wouldn't have liked it but they won the game head to head and if that was what separated the teams, then it's hard to argue that.

The Big 10 is mediocre at best. Ohio's been mediocre most of the year. They have the worst loss. They are the only one of those teams to win at home.

The Big12 doesn't have a conference title game because they aren't allowed to with 10 teams. I'm sure that they'll go forward and ask for a waiver to match up #1 and #2 to get that all important 13th game. The NCAA would kind of look stupid now to decline the waiver - don't you think? Or does the Big 12 need to go add 2 BS teams so that for appearance sake their conference looks that much more TUFF when in reality adding those 2 teams waters down the leagues, creates unequal scheduling, and probably reduces the overall SoS?

From what I saw this year, TCU was a better team than Baylor and Ohio. The loss to Baylor was troubling in the #script. I think both Baylor and TCU are better teams than Ohio over the course of the season. Ohio's probably playing better football than Baylor right now - not sure they are playing better than TCU.

All of this shit is all about following the money. Anybody trying to rationalize this shit any other way is completely missing the mark. If one of TCU or Baylor was Texas or Oklahoma it doesn't go down this way. If the Big 10 team wasn't Ohio, Michigan, or Penn State, it probably doesn't go down this way.

Ohio lost at home to VaTech. Needed 2 OT to beat a 6-6 Penn St team that was 2-6 in a shitty conference. They beat Minnesota by 7 (TCU beat them by 30). They struggled to beat both Indiana and Michigan. But one great game against Wisconsin and we're going to go crown their ass?

Even the teams that you were talking about being so down this year in the Big12 showed out against teams in the Final Four as Okie Lite played Florida State tough and West Virginia also played Alabama tight as well.

It's impossible to make compelling arguments for Ohio that don't belong with the money, prestige, and power of the Big10 and Ohio.
  • Options

Tequilla, I know you mean Ohio "State" not Ohio but can you please add that. It's annoying.

TIA.

Those that hate the school in Columbus tend to not give them the credit by giving them their preferred "the" or the State in their name.

As someone whose family came from Michigan and roots for the Michigan schools to do well more often than not, you've got a better chance today of me saying that TCU isn't one of the 4 best teams in the country than putting the State after the Ohio.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

If Baylor was named Oklahoma or Texas I think they would have been in over Ohio st.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

TIA.

Those that hate the school in Columbus tend to not give them the credit by giving them their preferred "the" or the State in their name.

As someone whose family came from Michigan and roots for the Michigan schools to do well more often than not, you've got a better chance today of me saying that TCU isn't one of the 4 best teams in the country than putting the State after the Ohio.
    Ohio University objects to this

• Options
    cesarchavezdawgcesarchavezdawg Member Posts: 19
    5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes First Comment

TIA.
    Tequilla said:

TIA.

So what do you call Frank Solich's Bobcats?

• Options

TIA.

Tequilla said:

TIA.

So what do you call Frank Solich's Bobcats?

They still have a team?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Frank Solich, of the Coney Island Solich's?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

If Baylor was named Oklahoma or Texas I think they would have been in over Ohio st.
    I agree ... particularly if it were Texas. Never understood the fascination with that program. Among the most underachieving in the land. And people refer to them like they're royalty. They're not. Their history is not particularly compelling overall. But people think that a 10 win Texas team is like fucking Jesus descending from Heaven incarnate.

One of my favorite all-time Miami games was that Cotton Bowel. Fucking Shorthorns are still bleeding out of their asses from that one.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,380
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the Buckeyes in this one
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2014

They didn't have a single win over a power 5 ooc opponent if I remember right. That's hard to do as a conference.

Tequilla said:

If your opinion coincides with Butler Cabin's opinion (allegedly), then at minimum 81% of the time you should reconsider your opinion.
    Look in the official playoff thread. I paint a picture with facts. Texas- worst season since 2010. Before that, 1997. Oklahoma- Worst season since 2009. OK State- worst season since 2007. Iowa State has gone from a team capable of upsets to total disaster. Texas Tech has gone from above average to horrible. No standout non conference wins. It's not a good conference this year.
    It's debatable who is the better team between TCU/Baylor/Ohio State.

But anyone who tries to argue the Big10 isn't shittier than the Big12 is a certifiable Fucktard and probably should DIAFF or lock himself in SunnyDoogers basement rape pit.

Illinois managed to get bowl eligible in that league. Iowa State beat Iowa on the road. Utah gave Michigan a bigger beating than Ohio State. Northwestern beat Wisconsin but lost to Cal. There is no objective argument you can construct that doesn't have the Big10 the worst or 2nd worst conference (in front of ACC) in college football.
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Fuck the little innumerate.

There's a double pronged problem that screwed both Baylor and TCU out of the final four:

Problem One—Baylor schedules like total pussies. Their non-con schedule made Mississippi State's look like murderers row. SMU? buffalo? NW State? Holy shit. This is no isolated incident of a last minute back out of a respectable foe either, this is how Baylor rolls into the future too. No A-B-C going on at Baylor. The are scheduling F-F-F minus. In a few years they are playing some dreck called Incarnate Word.

Fuck Baylor right in the pussy. You put them in the playoff, the committee endorses faggot scheduling. I would have left Baylor out even if undefeated. We need more intersectional games in September not fewer so Baylor has to be punished for their cynical scheduling.

Problem Two—TCU lost to these faggot bears. Didn't just lose to them either, blew a big second half lead in a game that really only suggests that neither squad plays any effective defense whatsoever. B12 lawyering doesn't change the fact that the faggot bears hold the HTH tiebreaker in a classical round robin football season. Just like the Ducks and the Beavers were not really the league champs in 2000 because UW held the CLINCHING tiebreaker, TCU is not a meaningful co-champ.

Since I am pretty sure a significant fraction of the committee has been "fuck you faggot bears" since the first poll, it is problematic to advance TCU to the inaugural playoff over a Baylor team that no one sensible can ultimately respect.

Then tOSU wipes out Wisky and Heisman hopeful Gordon III. Problems both solved. On resume, is tOSU the objectively strongest candidate? No. Is it the least problematic under the guidelines set forth for the new process? Hell yes. If tOSU won 9-0 TCU would have been in. 59-0 made it easy to screw the B12 and its bullshit politicking.

Ultimately, Patterson had it right. Go undefeated if you want to leave no questions open to subjective answers.

Hoping for upsets at the top, the B12 commish was angling to get both BU and TCU into the final four over the past few weeks. That approach backfired big time, especially when the committee has demonstrated ranking fluidity throughout the process.

TCU lost to exactly the wrong opponent, a foe that won the conference on a tiebreaker but who didn't play fucking anybody else with an elite or near elite résumé.

Boo frickin' hoo.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye said:

Frank Solich, of the Coney Island Solich's?

Like many things here, that never gets old.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Canard said:

There's a double pronged problem that screwed both Baylor and TCU out of the final four:

Problem One—Baylor schedules like total pussies. Their non-con schedule made Mississippi State's look like murderers row. SMU? buffalo? NW State? Holy shit. This is no isolated incident of a last minute back out of a respectable foe either, this is how Baylor rolls into the future too. No A-B-C going on at Baylor. The are scheduling F-F-F minus. In a few years they are playing some dreck called Incarnate Word.

Fuck Baylor right in the pussy. You put them in the playoff, the committee endorses faggot scheduling. I would have left Baylor out even if undefeated. We need more intersectional games in September not fewer so Baylor has to be punished for their cynical scheduling.

Problem Two—TCU lost to these faggot bears. Didn't just lose to them either, blew a big second half lead in a game that really only suggests that neither squad plays any effective defense whatsoever. B12 lawyering doesn't change the fact that the faggot bears hold the HTH tiebreaker in a classical round robin football season. Just like the Ducks and the Beavers were not really the league champs in 2000 because UW held the CLINCHING tiebreaker, TCU is not a meaningful co-champ.

Since I am pretty sure a significant fraction of the committee has been "fuck you faggot bears" since the first poll, it is problematic to advance TCU to the inaugural playoff over a Baylor team that no one sensible can ultimately respect.

Then tOSU wipes out Wisky and Heisman hopeful Gordon III. Problems both solved. On resume, is tOSU the objectively strongest candidate? No. Is it the least problematic under the guidelines set forth for the new process? Hell yes. If tOSU won 9-0 TCU would have been in. 59-0 made it easy to screw the B12 and its bullshit politicking.

Ultimately, Patterson had it right. Go undefeated if you want to leave no questions open to subjective answers.

Hoping for upsets at the top, the B12 commish was angling to get both BU and TCU into the final four over the past few weeks. That approach backfired big time, especially when the committee has demonstrated ranking fluidity throughout the process.

TCU lost to exactly the wrong opponent, a foe that won the conference on a tiebreaker but who didn't play fucking anybody else with an elite or near elite résumé.

Boo frickin' hoo.

disagree
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    topdawgnc said:

Canard said:

Boo frickin' hoo.

disagree
    Epic reply, never seen anything so original.