Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington, Oregon, Ohio State or Stanford?

Where would you send your son? What would you consider the best environment for your kid? What would you base your decision on?

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Honestly right now I would send them to Stanford.

Ohio state is a good degree but just a football factory. Talking to some former players at Utah they didn't exactly enjoy playing for Meyer. Great football coach but it's all about football.

Oregon is an avg degree and a football factory. No thanks when compared.

Uw is a good degree but a mediocre football program. I do like how Petersen stresses academics in the recruiting process. I would put them #2.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Depend....if you don't care about academics and just wanna play football you go to UO.

If you're like 99% of the recruits and are a 3 star or lower you go to Stanford.

If you can't get into Stanford you go to UW....unless you just wanna be close to mom and dad.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    HuskyJW said:

Depend....if you don't care about academics and just wanna play football you go to UO.

If you're like 99% of the recruits and are a 3 star or lower you go to Stanford.

If you can't get into Stanford you go to UW....unless you just wanna be close to mom and dad.

Please, a lot of kids don't care about academis and go to UW. Generalizations are stupid.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I never blame the parents for sending their kids to Stanford.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The youth really has an Oregon problem. The championship high school game I watched last night was flooded with little punks wearing the "O". I didn't see 1 block W other than mine. It was not that bad about 5 years ago.

Oregon has really marketed itself fantastically with the youths. It's the hip place to go.

It's something that can only be cured with winning, and lots of it. If Petersen isn't the guy, UW may never recover.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2014
    Stanford, no matter what.

If Junior is good enough to be recruited there and still can't get in (B average), then he's not going to light the academic world on fire anywhere and should thus go to the best football situation. Where that is is a matter of judgement at any point in time.

But if he can get into Stanford, you do that every fucking time.

Trust me. My middle daughter if fucking smart ... like 3.98 full IB, Calculus, two years HL Physics, full year of college level chemistry, etc. etc. smart. SAT scores to match.

She applied, and even with all that is as likely to be rejected as get in. Who am I kidding? More likely to not get in than get in.

D1 athletic recruits have no idea what a lottery ticket it is to be recruited there and get in w/ 3.3 GPA. No fucking idea.

You take that and run every fucking time. Best of both worlds. An Ivy League/MIT/Cal Tech/Elite small college (yes, Middlebury included, you fags) education and big time sports. Stanford is the fucking bomb.

If you did, in fact, play football for UW, take my advice: get over yourself, make it clear to him that his life outside of fb will be unaffected whether he goes to UW, Arizona, Oregon, WSU, Ohio State, Michigan State or any place else. Stanford is a much, much different story. I might assign some of the Stanford ju ju to Michigan and Cal, but they really are not on Furd's level academically or resources-wise.

Ask yourself: why did Barry Sanders send junior to Stanford instead of Oklahoma State?

There's your answer.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    You don't buy the actual academics with your degree. You are buying the network and the corporations that hire from your institution. Some of you need to learn the difference.
  • Options

You don't buy the actual academics with your degree. You are buying the network and the corporations that hire from your institution. Some of you need to learn the difference.

That is exactly correct. And, though it will KILL people on this bored to read this, Goldman, JP Morgan, Hedge Funds and other high level companies don't recruit at UW any more than they do at Arizona State.

Where they do recruit is at Stanford, of course, and at the Ivy Leagues, Duke, Vanderbilt and, here's where people are going to shit their pants because they don't want to hear it:

Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Wesleyan, Middlebury, Vassar, Washington & Lee, Davidson, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Wellesley, Harvey Mudd, etc. etc. etc.

So in that sense, it doesn't matter whether you go to UW or Arizona. It really doesn't at the end of the day. I'm saying this as a Washington grad who runs around with all kinds of stereotypes in my head about the typical Zona student.

Of course, if your'e interviewing with a guy from Washington, it's going to be huge. But that's true of any school.

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476

That is exactly correct. And, though it will KILL people on this bored to read this, Goldman, JP Morgan, Hedge Funds and other high level companies don't recruit at UW any more than they do at Arizona State.

Where they do recruit is at Stanford, of course, and at the Ivy Leagues, Duke, Vanderbilt and, here's where people are going to shit their pants because they don't want to hear it:

Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Wesleyan, Middlebury, Vassar, Washington & Lee, Davidson, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Wellesley, Harvey Mudd, etc. etc. etc.

So in that sense, it doesn't matter whether you go to UW or Arizona. It really doesn't at the end of the day. I'm saying this as a Washington grad who runs around with all kinds of stereotypes in my head about the typical Zona student.

Of course, if your'e interviewing with a guy from Washington, it's going to be huge. But that's true of any school.

What, no Middlebury?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2014

What, no Middlebury?
    "Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Wesleyan, Middlebury, Vassar, Washington & Lee, Davidson, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, Wellesley, Harvey Mudd, etc. etc. etc."
    Huh?
  • Options

What, no Middlebury?
    Do you think I'd smear the memory of college doog and EVER forget Middlebury?

Every list of elite liberal arts colleges begins and ends with Middlebury here ... for ever and ever and ever.
  • Options
    Oh, and b4 anyone says it, of course the big 4 (or whatever the number is now) accounting firms recruit at UW. But, they recruit everywhere, so if that's your goal, then all you need to do is make sure that your school of choice has a business school with an accounting concentration.

Beware, none of the liberal arts colleges I listed does, nor does Stanford (no, Furd does NOT have an undergraduate biz school ... only biz grad school), and none of the Ivies do either - except Cornell may. I don't recall off the top of my head.

But undergraduate business administration is not available at many elite schools. they'll just tell you to check in with Damone and major in econ, which is probably better anyway, but it won't prepare you for the CPA exam.

Just more information from creepy, your resident college advisor.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,314
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Stanford. And that's after I didn't get in there.

Amazing education without the shitty weather that comparable institutions have? No brainer.

Then again I'm a middle class middle aged dude who values education and understands how connections work in the real world.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I'd tell him - It's your choice but Id choose Stanford if I were you.

If he has NFL ability and drive he'll make the NFL just as easily as any other school. But If football doesn't work, or even if it does, Stanford opens more doors than pretty much any other non-Ivy school in the world.

It carries respect and connects you to networks that the other 3 do not.

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Anyone can be successful going anywhere. If it was me, I'd want to follow in my fathers footsteps. How cool would that be? But you gotta let him make his own choice. Can't go wrong with Petersen. He's a championship football coach who is very highly regarded with the off the field stuff (academics, life lessons, etc).
  • Options

Anyone can be successful going anywhere. If it was me, I'd want to follow in my fathers footsteps. How cool would that be? But you gotta let him make his own choice. Can't go wrong with Petersen. He's a championship football coach who is very highly regarded with the off the field stuff (academics, life lessons, etc).

One word: Go to Stanford.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Washington. Always. Figure out what you want to do then go to grad school wherever has the best programs.
  • Options

Washington. Always. Figure out what you want to do then go to grad school wherever has the best programs.

well, at least you still have your voice.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It all really depends on what my kid was looking for.

If he was a kid that wanted to challenge himself academically and was using football as a ticket for the rest of his life, then hard to pass up Stanford.

If he was still up in the air in what he wanted to do outside of football, I would probably recommend Washington as the Washington degree will still open up plenty of doors (both academically and in the business world up and down the West Coast) but also give a good foundation for a possible NFL future (with Petersen).

Oregon and Ohio State are two of the three schools I hate more than any other (Baylor being the third), so it'd be really hard for me to recommend either to my kid. Of the two, I'd have to recommend Ohio State.