Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Washington, Oregon, Ohio State or Stanford?

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Tequilla said:

It all really depends on what my kid was looking for.

If he was a kid that wanted to challenge himself academically and was using football as a ticket for the rest of his life, then hard to pass up Stanford.

If he was still up in the air in what he wanted to do outside of football, I would probably recommend Washington as the Washington degree will still open up plenty of doors (both academically and in the business world up and down the West Coast) but also give a good foundation for a possible NFL future (with Petersen).

Oregon and Ohio State are two of the three schools I hate more than any other (Baylor being the third), so it'd be really hard for me to recommend either to my kid. Of the two, I'd have to recommend Ohio State.

You should be advising NOBODY!

It has nothing to do with challenging oneself academically. Jesus do you ever read what you write? Do you honestly think anyone can't challenge themselves academically at any school in the Pac 12?

It isn't about that.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

If he was a kid that wanted to challenge himself academically and was using football as a ticket for the rest of his life, then hard to pass up Stanford.

If he was still up in the air in what he wanted to do outside of football, I would probably recommend Washington as the Washington degree will still open up plenty of doors (both academically and in the business world up and down the West Coast) but also give a good foundation for a possible NFL future (with Petersen).

Oregon and Ohio State are two of the three schools I hate more than any other (Baylor being the third), so it'd be really hard for me to recommend either to my kid. Of the two, I'd have to recommend Ohio State.

It has nothing to do with challenging oneself academically. Jesus do you ever read what you write? Do you honestly think anyone can't challenge themselves academically at any school in the Pac 12?

It isn't about that.
    Stanford isn't for everybody. UW isn't either. There are a lot of smart ass people that go to both places.

If you aren't willing to push yourself in the classroom at Stanford, you're going to feel overwhelmed quickly.

Even at the UW, depending on what your major is, you're going to run across a number of brilliant people.

I can't even fathom trying to be an athlete with what one of my majors was in. There were many instances where I was mentally fatigued preparing for tests or doing homework assignments.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

It isn't about that.
    Stanford isn't for everybody. UW isn't either. There are a lot of smart ass people that go to both places.

If you aren't willing to push yourself in the classroom at Stanford, you're going to feel overwhelmed quickly.

Even at the UW, depending on what your major is, you're going to run across a number of brilliant people.

I can't even fathom trying to be an athlete with what one of my majors was in. There were many instances where I was mentally fatigued preparing for tests or doing homework assignments.
    you're going to feel overwhelmed at Stanford no matter what. The good news is that they dont' flunk anybody who gets in, and when you have "Stanford" on your resume, nobody asks about your GPA.

the same is not true at Washington, who has about the same smattering of "brilliant" people as most schools in the Pac 12. kids chose schools for a whole lot of reasons, and in-state tuition is a big one.

I think you would be surprised at the median GPA/SAT/ACT deltas between UW and, say, Oregon. Let's just say the gap between them is 1/3 the gap between UW and, say, Cal.

Let it go. It's one thing to take Dennis' position and say, hey, go get your undergrad degree, which isn't that important, and then do well and go to a good grad school. While I don't entirely agree with him, it's a valid point.

Yours isn't. Stanford is a game changer. The rest, including UW, are not.

Everybody goes through school differently. I didn't have the hardest major at UW, nor did I pursue the easiest. I double majored, and I graduated with a pretend high GPA and I didn't work very hard. Other people I knew majoring in Pol Sci worked very hard for mediocre grades. There's no point getting into that.

If fact, if anything, Stanford is the all more clear choice if you're not sure how well you're going to perform. If I'm graduating with a 2.5 GPA, I sure as hell would rather it be from Stanford than UW.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don't disagree with much of what you said.

Stanford is easily the #1 choice. It's not even close. The connections and doors opened by being able to flash Stanford on a resume going forward is priceless. You can be an idiot but if you show up with Stanford tied to your name, most are going to think you're brilliant and will hold that opinion for a few years until they prove to you that you aren't.

Like you, I double majored at the UW as well. I didn't have a terrible or great GPA. Routinely I would punt at least one class a quarter just because I needed the credits to graduate. What I can say though is that the Washington name held a lot for me when it came to getting to grad school at TCU and the scholarship opportunities that I had as a result.

In general, I think the academic reputation of Ohio State is greater than Oregon. You're probably going to be ok with both, but I would think Oregon's is going to be more regional up and down the West Coast. I don't remember running into a lot of people in Texas that had Oregon degrees - far more that would have had UW or Ohio State degrees.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

I don't disagree with much of what you said.

Stanford is easily the #1 choice. It's not even close. The connections and doors opened by being able to flash Stanford on a resume going forward is priceless. You can be an idiot but if you show up with Stanford tied to your name, most are going to think you're brilliant and will hold that opinion for a few years until they prove to you that you aren't.

Like you, I double majored at the UW as well. I didn't have a terrible or great GPA. Routinely I would punt at least one class a quarter just because I needed the credits to graduate. What I can say though is that the Washington name held a lot for me when it came to getting to grad school at TCU and the scholarship opportunities that I had as a result.

In general, I think the academic reputation of Ohio State is greater than Oregon. You're probably going to be ok with both, but I would think Oregon's is going to be more regional up and down the West Coast. I don't remember running into a lot of people in Texas that had Oregon degrees - far more that would have had UW or Ohio State degrees.

you're going to run into people with Ohio State degrees more often than just about any other school not named Penn State because about 70,000 people go there.

If you go to Oregon and do well, you will get into the same grad schools that you get into by going to UW and doing equally well. In each case, the entrance exam score will matter a lot. There are lots and lots and lots and lots of other schools that will give you more cache than UW. I know people here don't like to hear that, but it's very much the case.

But, it's a good school, and if you take care of your shit there, you'll be able to get in to places. I did well GPA-wise, hit the LSAT on a good day (practice test scores were OK - someone was looking out for me test day) and with pretty much nothing else special about me had all kinds of choices.

Move me to Oregon, Oregon State, WSU or Arizona with the same credentials, and I would have seen the same results.

So, my attitude about it is, go to Stanford. If you don't care enough about your future outside of fb to take advantage of that gift and you're choosing between Oregon, UW and Ohio State, then it really doesn't fucking matter (academically) which one you pick, so make a good football choice if that's what you're doing.

In reality, that's the straight skinny.

Or we can sit around and pretend like we have a degree that impresses the shit out of people.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What's a degree worth anyway, when you're just going to move into your mom's basement and play with your dingy in sweatpants all day?
  • Options
    Doogles said:

What's a degree worth anyway, when you're just going to move into your mom's basement and play with your dingy in sweatpants all day?

Good poont.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2014

Stanford, no matter what.

If Junior is good enough to be recruited there and still can't get in (B average), then he's not going to light the academic world on fire anywhere and should thus go to the best football situation. Where that is is a matter of judgement at any point in time.

But if he can get into Stanford, you do that every fucking time.

Trust me. My middle daughter if fucking smart ... like 3.98 full IB, Calculus, two years HL Physics, full year of college level chemistry, etc. etc. smart. SAT scores to match.

She applied, and even with all that is as likely to be rejected as get in. Who am I kidding? More likely to not get in than get in.

D1 athletic recruits have no idea what a lottery ticket it is to be recruited there and get in w/ 3.3 GPA. No fucking idea.

You take that and run every fucking time. Best of both worlds. An Ivy League/MIT/Cal Tech/Elite small college (yes, Middlebury included, you fags) education and big time sports. Stanford is the fucking bomb.

If you did, in fact, play football for UW, take my advice: get over yourself, make it clear to him that his life outside of fb will be unaffected whether he goes to UW, Arizona, Oregon, WSU, Ohio State, Michigan State or any place else. Stanford is a much, much different story. I might assign some of the Stanford ju ju to Michigan and Cal, but they really are not on Furd's level academically or resources-wise.

Ask yourself: why did Barry Sanders send junior to Stanford instead of Oklahoma State?

There's your answer.

Charles. Don't listen to CreepyCUOG. He is just fake. And, he admits it. Please disregard EVERYTHING he said in his posts.

That said - I would send my kid to Stanford if it's not a problem to get admitted.

0regon is the fad of the day. Zero substance beyond about five years of impressive results.

tOSU is where 0regon ends up if they sustain their success.

If your son goes to either of these schools (tOSU or 0regon) he likely gets stereotyped (and hated) by a significant portion of football fandom as 0regon and tOSU have consisently and repeatedly been labeled among the most hated schools (fans) in sports.

OTOH, if your child is an egomaniac - either tOSU or 0regon would be perfect since the fan bases are the some of the most myopic in the country. Think WSU but, you know, consistently good.

UW hasn't been good enough lately to be hated by anyone other than WSU and 0regon fans. But Pete is one of the best coaches in America to play for. Good fall back if Stanford isn't an option.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    EwaDawg said:

If Junior is good enough to be recruited there and still can't get in (B average), then he's not going to light the academic world on fire anywhere and should thus go to the best football situation. Where that is is a matter of judgement at any point in time.

Trust me. My middle daughter if fucking smart ... like 3.98 full IB, Calculus, two years HL Physics, full year of college level chemistry, etc. etc. smart. SAT scores to match.

She applied, and even with all that is as likely to be rejected as get in. Who am I kidding? More likely to not get in than get in.

D1 athletic recruits have no idea what a lottery ticket it is to be recruited there and get in w/ 3.3 GPA. No fucking idea.

You take that and run every fucking time. Best of both worlds. An Ivy League/MIT/Cal Tech/Elite small college (yes, Middlebury included, you fags) education and big time sports. Stanford is the fucking bomb.

If you did, in fact, play football for UW, take my advice: get over yourself, make it clear to him that his life outside of fb will be unaffected whether he goes to UW, Arizona, Oregon, WSU, Ohio State, Michigan State or any place else. Stanford is a much, much different story. I might assign some of the Stanford ju ju to Michigan and Cal, but they really are not on Furd's level academically or resources-wise.

Ask yourself: why did Barry Sanders send junior to Stanford instead of Oklahoma State?

There's your answer.

Charles. Don't listen to CreepyCUOG. He is just fake. And, he admits it. Please disregard EVERYTHING he said in his posts.

That said - I would send my kid to Stanford if it's not a problem to get admitted.

0regon is the fad of the day. Zero substance beyond about five years of impressive results.

If your son goes to either of these schools (tOSU or 0regon) he likely gets stereotyped (and hated) by a significant portion of football fandom as 0regon and tOSU have consisently and repeatedly been labeled among the most hated schools (fans) in sports.

OTOH, if your child is an egomaniac - either tOSU or 0regon would be perfect since the fan bases are the some of the most myopic in the country. Think WSU but, you know, consistently good.

UW hasn't been good enough lately to be hated by anyone other than WSU and 0regon fans. But Pete is one of the best coaches in America to play for. Good fall back if Stanford isn't an option.

please tell me this is a whoosh. I would be happy to be whooshed today if it means knowing that nobody is this stupid.

and, yeah, Charles. don't listen to me. listen to the guy who can't spell "coug", even when he's capitalizing it.

btw, Ewa, i think it's been a few more than five years.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    CreepyCUOG, the pretend Lawyer, said "please tell me this is a whoosh. I would be happy to be whooshed today if it means knowing that nobody is this stupid."

Sorry, Creep but your entire life is one big whoosh. And, not in a good way (for you).

HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2014

EwaDawg said:

There's your answer.

please tell me this is a whoosh. I would be happy to be whooshed today if it means knowing that nobody is this stupid.

and, yeah, Charles. don't listen to me. listen to the guy who can't spell "coug", even when he's capitalizing it.

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Oregon.htm

2008 - 2013 = six years. Six is very close to five.

Nothing before then impresses me. Those kinds of results (prior to 2008) have been achieved (at one time or another) by many, many, many, many schools.

BTW, Creep, its a damn good thing you are a pretend Lawyer and not a pretend Accountant.

• Options
    EwaDawg said:

Sorry, Creep but your entire life is one big whoosh. And, not in a good way (for you).

HTH

that all you got? you really are a stoopid and limp wristed little faggot aren't you?
  • Options
    EwaDawg said:

EwaDawg said:

There's your answer.

Nothing before then impresses me. Those kinds of results (prior to 2008) have been achieved (at one time or another) by many, many, many, many schools.

BTW, Creep, its a damn good thing you are a pretend Lawyer and not a pretend Accountant.

Good. You found the database. And????????

What's the point? They won a BCS bowel in 2002 and finished #2 in the country.

I'd say Oregon has had a pretty solid program running a few more than five years. But if that makes you feel good, have at it. It's not like Washington has ever had a run where it's finishing consistently in the top ten, so I wouldn't be so hard to impress if I were you.

Dip shit.
  • Options

EwaDawg said:

HTH

that all you got? you really are a stoopid and limp wristed little faggot aren't you?
    Okay. We get that you are a hot headed fool who is unable to use reason. Did the potty mouth words make you feel like a grown up?
  • Options

EwaDawg said:

EwaDawg said:

There's your answer.

I'd say Oregon has had a pretty solid program running a few more than five years. But if that makes you feel good, have at it. It's not like Washington has ever had a run where it's finishing consistently in the top ten, so I wouldn't be so hard to impress if I were you.

Dip shit.
    Okay. We get that you are a hot headed fool who is unable to use reason. Did the potty mouth words make you feel like a grown up?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    EwaDawg said:

EwaDawg said:

EwaDawg said:

There's your answer.

Dip shit.

Always ... fuck face.

I saw what you did there with "reason". That was pretty funny coming from you.
  • Options

EwaDawg said:

There's your answer.

How did I miss the fact that the creep thinks I misspelled CUOG. Its like he's actually the popcorn guy, or something. Yep, Charles listen to that guy.

• Options
    EwaDawg said:

EwaDawg said:

EwaDawg said:

There's your answer.

Dip shit.

Department of Redundancy Department employee?
  • Options
    EwaDawg said:

EwaDawg said:

There's your answer.

How did I miss the fact that the creep thinks I misspelled CUOG. Its like he's actually the popcorn guy, or something. Yep, Charles listen to that guy.

Good one.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    First it depends on the kid: does he care the most about an education, winning, staying close to home, going far away from home, or playing time?

IMHO, Stanford is starting to slip and may have a pretty good bounce back year in 2015 but the trend has been downwards since their 2010 season when they went 12-1.

2010: 12-1
    2011: 11-2
    2012: 12-2
    2013: 11-3 (finished 3-2 in last 5 games, including lost bowl game)
    2014: 7-5

2014 is Shaw's 4th year and he is 1-2 in bowl games so if he loses to Maryland, that has to be concern 'Furd fans even more. So if he cares first and foremost about education / network, then it's Stanford but he shouldn't expect Stanford to win double digits consistently again.

If he wants a combination of an education / network, an improving shot at winning, staying close to home, and playing time (depending on the position), I'd recommend Washington.

I'd only recommend Ohio State / Oregon if he wants to win immediately. It's tough to say where a program will be in 3-4 years when he is likely to play significant PT as a RS-Soph or RS-JR but Ohio State and Oregon look like they'll win double digit games in his first season (2015) and probably 2nd too (since neither program has shown signs of slipping as of yet).

If he wants to get away from home, I'd say Stanford or Ohio State but recommend Stanford more due to the education.

At the end of the day, I'd probably suggest the deepest looks at UW and Stanford. IIRC, only 3 or 4% of D-1 players end up making the NFL and while both have sent a decent amount of players to the NFL over the past 5 years, they also offer good educations and networks (UW being in Seattle and Stanford being near SF, San Jose, and Silicone Valley).