Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The basketball team ACTUALLY does not suck...

BrothaStringBrothaString Member Posts: 218
5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1 5 Awesomes
6-0 with a preseason tourney championship to start the season. The last 2 years this team has been borderline unwatchable. They had no heart, not a lot of talent, and were just a boring team to watch. This year's team is the complete opposite. I know there was only about 5 of us that actually watched the game tonight, and I know it was UTEP, but that's the EXACT type of game we've been losing the last few seasons. Upshaw and Kemp were both at 4 fouls 10min into the 2nd half and UTEP went on a couple big runs to take the lead. UW responded well, battled through adversity, and hit some fucking clutch free throws. I never though I would type that sentence in my life.

NWG and Upshaw are legit first round talents that might (in Upshaw's case, NWG is gone barring injury) be gone after this year. Don't get caught up in next year and sleep on this team; they're a lot of fun to watch.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That was a fun game. They don't suck. It's too early to make any big proclamations, but it's obvious they are much better than the past two years.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014
    Upshaw needs to get in better shape, but he pulls some serious athletic manuevers out of fucking nowhwere under the basket and has great timing in altering shots. He might just be a little too aggressive in his body lean which is getting him into foul trouble, but he would get drafted after the season as is. Doubt we keep him.
  • Options

That was a fun game. They don't suck. It's too early to make any big proclamations, but it's obvious they are much better than the past two years.

We'll know a lot more about this team after December. They passed the scrimmage games and got a trophy out of it, now they have two chances to get quality non-conf wins against SDSU (#15, almost beat Arizona) and Oklahoma. Drop em both, probably pretenders and miss the tourney again. Split em, LIPO but encouraging. Take em both, probably sitting at 12-0, ranked top 20 going into conference play and we no longer get bitched at for posting about basketball on the main board.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    They look more like a team and not 1 or 2 guys trying to play street ball while 3 other guys watch.
  • Options
    WhiskeyDawgWhiskeyDawg Member Posts: 406
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Beat a team coached by Tim "Pink" Floyd and then pop off. #mj23

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Upshaw should only get better too. He sat out last year and will get better with games. To be a really good team, he needs to be able to stay on the floor for 20-25 minutes. Legit 7 footers that are athletic and coordinated like he is are extremely rare.
  • Options
    WhiskeyDawgWhiskeyDawg Member Posts: 406
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    With the tournament win, I am expecting Romar to get another ten year extension. #statemoney
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Upshaw needs to get in better shape, but he pulls some serious athletic manuevers out of fucking nowhwere under the basket and has great timing in altering shots. He might just be a little too aggressive in his body lean which is getting him into foul trouble, but he would get drafted after the season as is. Doubt we keep him.

Got booted from Fresno State for weed and some of my friends see him at a hookah bar all the time with an entire hookah to himself. Doesn't surprise me he gets gassed.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Most pleasant surprise for me has been the quality of our depth. Dorsey has future star written all over him. #localtalent
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Am I the only one who fucking cringes every time spado's golden boy Jerreau touches the ball? Guy is fucking terrible. He got a couple lucky baskets but missed quite a few jumpers that barely hit the backboard.

I was waiting for them to choke the game away and I was surprised they showed some grit. I'm definitely in LIPO mode but Tim Floyd is a damn good coach and UTEP just beat Xavier, who always has solid teams. Definitely better than getting run out of the gym by Irvine and South Dakota. Time to sign Romar till 2026 so he doesn't lose recruits.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Am I the only one who fucking cringes every time spado's golden boy Jerreau touches the ball? Guy is fucking terrible. He got a couple lucky baskets but missed quite a few jumpers that barely hit the backboard.

I was waiting for them to choke the game away and I was surprised they showed some grit. I'm definitely in LIPO mode but Tim Floyd is a damn good coach and UTEP just beat Xavier, who always has solid teams. Definitely better than getting run out of the gym by Irvine and South Dakota. Time to sign Romar till 2026 so he doesn't lose recruits.

he can shoot the midrange jumper, and isn't horrific from the line. But he can't finish around the basket to save his life, it's almost unreal how bad he is inside considering his size
  • Options
    Utep played pretty poorly today though, I was more impressed when they were down 9 to LBSU and didn't fold.
    Look at LBSU's results so far, they aren't a bad team. beat KSU and Xavier, almost beat BYU, and Monson is a good coach, I know it's pretty pathetic when we're talking about 4-4 teams as being potentially good wins, but baby steps
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,570
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

1 or 2 guys trying to play street ball while 3 other guys watch.

Hahaha.

Classic LoRo basketball
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

he can shoot the midrange jumper, and isn't horrific from the line. But he can't finish around the basket to save his life, it's almost unreal how bad he is inside considering his size
    He's soft. He's not completely useless. He's just been severely overrated by dipshits who are mesmerized that he was a guard in high school before a growth spurt. He probably was a really shitty guard.

I would still rather have Jarreau than Gant. He's a taller version of Gant without the range.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Take this shit to the shitty sport board.

I kid. I can't bring myself to watch this shitty sport more than once or twice per year. It's all beneath me after coaching my 6th grade team to undefeated glory four years ago. I do like to keep up on things though.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

He's soft. He's not completely useless. He's just been severely overrated by dipshits who are mesmerized that he was a guard in high school before a growth spurt. He probably was a really shitty guard.

I would still rather have Jarreau than Gant. He's a taller version of Gant without the range.
    I wasn't a huge fan of gant either. Both were bench players really and it pissed me off that twice in 2011 he was taking the last shot (Cal and UCLA I believe)
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Wish we had the Belgian healthy
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

I wasn't a huge fan of gant either. Both were bench players really and it pissed me off that twice in 2011 he was taking the last shot (Cal and UCLA I believe)
    I vaguely remember losing my shit and getting yelled at for saying something along the lines of how the fuck does Darnell fucking Gant take the last shot after the Cal game.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

We'll know a lot more about this team after December. They passed the scrimmage games and got a trophy out of it, now they have two chances to get quality non-conf wins against SDSU (#15, almost beat Arizona) and Oklahoma. Drop em both, probably pretenders and miss the tourney again. Split em, LIPO but encouraging. Take em both, probably sitting at 12-0, ranked top 20 going into conference play and we no longer get bitched at for posting about basketball on the main board.
    Upvoted for the rest of your poast, but the team could be undefeated in February and we'd still get bitched at for poasting about basketball on the main bored.