Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Reflecting on a comment made by Roaddawg

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So... it's how we lost, not that we lost that has you so emotional two days later?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was/am pissed. But I saw signs of good players who can play. Plays that did not quit on their coach. The things I saw are some of the easiest to correct. I think even with losses on defense, I think next year will be better. Good teams and coaches have to replace players every year, it's part of the deal.

If Petersen fixes these things they will be very good for years. At HIS SALARY he should be able to fix them.

Agree on the kids playing hard till the end, but i'm not so sure the D will be close from the Shelton factor alone.

Danny Shelton is the best we've seen since Emtman. He is unbelievable and will be sorely missed. He goes out for one 3rd and 6 and rich rod says just ram it up the middle for seven. That's the kind of shit we're going to see without him in the middle. A lot.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doogles said:

I take Husky football way too seriously, but saturdays loss to zona is up there as one of the most painful i've experienced.

Maybe i'm getting older and gaining a little perspective, but in the past with a loss i would be so depressed about it i literally could not face the boards, the papers, the game shows, etc. I couldn't look at the block W tattooed with defeat next to another logo.

Avoidance until the next week was my only hope. It really fucking affects me when this team loses.

I was always proud that UW was one of the few Pac schools that could say they had a true SEC type passion surrounding it. It's more than football, it's an identity, a life investment. When that source of pride takes a hit, it really hurts.

I know i'm still here, but as DJ is alluding, for a significant portion it's not the same. And it's sad.

Exactly.

• Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Both. I would of been much happier if we won, even with sloppy play but I'd still be very concerned about how we played. The "how something is done" tends to lead to the result outcome being good or bad more times than not. And that's with everything, not just football.

-lifecoach

So... it's how we lost, not that we lost that has you so emotional two days later?

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Doogles said:

I was/am pissed. But I saw signs of good players who can play. Plays that did not quit on their coach. The things I saw are some of the easiest to correct. I think even with losses on defense, I think next year will be better. Good teams and coaches have to replace players every year, it's part of the deal.

If Petersen fixes these things they will be very good for years. At HIS SALARY he should be able to fix them.

Agree on the kids playing hard till the end, but i'm not so sure the D will be close from the Shelton factor alone.

Danny Shelton is the best we've seen since Emtman. He is unbelievable and will be sorely missed. He goes out for one 3rd and 6 and rich rod says just ram it up the middle for seven. That's the kind of shit we're going to see without him in the middle. A lot.
    He will be missed, for sure.....But don't count this dude out to step up... I think he will do very well.

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208841263
    Qualls played well. Shelton was on such another level for a NG that you might not notice that Qualls was good too.

Shelton is not one-for-one replaceable. But the 2015 d-line next year has potential to be on the whole pretty close.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

He will be missed, for sure.....But don't count this dude out to step up... I think he will do very well.

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208841263
    Qualls played well. Shelton was on such another level for a NG that you might not notice that Qualls was good too.

Shelton is not one-for-one replaceable. But the 2015 d-line next year has potential to be on the whole pretty close.
    Not in 2015. That's really wishful thinking. Shelton and Kikaha are really fucking good. Andrew Hudson is solid too. Those are your two best (and only) pass rushers and a monster DT who is as good as anyone in the country. 4 new, young starters will need at least a season to be on the level of this year's DL. Shelton and Kikaha aren't what they are now two or three years ago.

The secondary should be better and I don't think there will be a huge drop off at LB either so the defense may be decent, but I think there will be a noticeable drop off for the DL.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Doogles said:

I take Husky football way too seriously, but saturdays loss to zona is up there as one of the most painful i've experienced.

Maybe i'm getting older and gaining a little perspective, but in the past with a loss i would be so depressed about it i literally could not face the boards, the papers, the game shows, etc. I couldn't look at the block W tattooed with defeat next to another logo.

Avoidance until the next week was my only hope. It really fucking affects me when this team loses.

I was always proud that UW was one of the few Pac schools that could say they had a true SEC type passion surrounding it. It's more than football, it's an identity, a life investment. When that source of pride takes a hit, it really hurts.

I know i'm still here, but as DJ is alluding, for a significant portion it's not the same. And it's sad.

That kind of passion is still around, it just moved down I-5 to Eugene. Somehow...
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Shelton is a huge loss but my hope is you can plug in Qualls and Vita Vea so that you have two legit tackles in the middle. Vea ballooned to 340 but the hope is he got back down to 290-300 this season and can be ready to start next year. I love the young prospects we have on the DL but there will be a big drop off at the start of next season with no Shelton and Kikaha.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam

Shelton is a huge loss but my hope is you can plug in Qualls and Vita Vea so that you have two legit tackles in the middle. Vea ballooned to 340 but the hope is he got back down to 290-300 this season and can be ready to start next year. I love the young prospects we have on the DL but there will be a big drop off at the start of next season with no Shelton and Kikaha.

Agreed. Qualls and Dissly look good, some nice prospects coming through on the DL definitely, but you just can't overstate how much Shelton and Kikaha have meant to this team.

Shifting to the young secondary and how well they are doing considering the circumstances, they would have been shredded significantly if it weren't for the senior pressure by the two all-americans. Shelton Fucked Solomon up in the head, in the mechanics, and it helped the back four tremendously.

They won't get that kind of bail out next year. Hopefully they're ready.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Agreed. Qualls and Dissly look good, some nice prospects coming through on the DL definitely, but you just can't overstate how much Shelton and Kikaha have meant to this team.

Shifting to the young secondary and how well they are doing considering the circumstances, they would have been shredded significantly if it weren't for the senior pressure by the two all-americans. Shelton Fucked Solomon up in the head, in the mechanics, and it helped the back four tremendously.

My point is those who are predicting next year to be a disaster, and many of you have done that, are.fucking.stupid.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,448

My point is those who are predicting next year to be a disaster, and many of you have done that, are.fucking.stupid.

This.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Doogles said:

I hope to be that stupid, i really do.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I think next year has a better than 50-50 chance to be worse than this year. Say 60-40. But, the bright side is that is a 40 percent chance to be better. Fuck off. I don't care if I'm stupid. I don't see how you replace the losses on the lines. Then again, replacing shit on the OL might actually help.
  • Options
    digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2014

Don't forget about Greg Gaines; great big body addition in 2014. He wouldn't be on this roster if it weren't for Petersen and co.

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Doogles said:

Gotta admit, Shelton impressed me during the Zona (ILTCTZ) game. There was a play where the AZ QB faked an inside hand off and took off for the corner. Most of the UW defense keyed on the RB, and it looked like the play was going for a big gain. Shelton tackled the QB about 2 yards from the sideline for a one-yard loss.

Dude's legit.

• Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:

I think next year has a better than 50-50 chance to be worse than this year. Say 60-40. But, the bright side is that is a 40 percent chance to be better. Fuck off. I don't care if I'm stupid. I don't see how you replace the losses on the lines. Then again, replacing shit on the OL might actually help.

UW 2015
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,993
    Our OL needs to cycle through the Cascade Front as soon as possible.