Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Reflecting on a comment made by Roaddawg

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
He mentioned how he wasn't upset over a loss in a meaningless game against a mediocre Arizona team. First off, I'm not saying he's wrong to feel that way.

But I am old enough to see how the culture around this program has changed so dramatically. There was a time when every single loss, regardless to whom, was searingly painful and took a couple days to recover from. Every game mattered.

After many years of Babs, Gilby, Emmert, Ty, Todd Turner, Sark, Nick Holt, Woodward, etc., we now have fans who view a loss to Arizona as a meaningless throwaway game, much like how we view the Husky basketball team losing a December game to New Mexico.

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    People seem pretty upset about the game to me. RoadDawg is putting it in perspective because we don't have anything huge to play for. It's not like ASU's loss.

On the contrary to what you say, expectations are at least back to normal now or close. People are not going to be happy until we are competing for championships regularly. Even people on doogman are upset.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    That one hurt quite a bit. Between that and the Seahawk fuck up, and other factors, the weekend and this morning sucked. That was easily the most painful loss of the post Ty era. It's not close IMO. It's value is good in a perverted way in that it means people care and actually carry high expectations.
  • Options
    Founders Club

People seem pretty upset about the game to me. RoadDawg is putting it in perspective because we don't have anything huge to play for. It's not like ASU's loss.

On the contrary to what you say, expectations are at least back to normal now or close. People are not going to be happy until we are competing for championships regularly. Even people on doogman are upset.

Well, my comment above is both spot on but also faulty in light of how many are upset by the manner we lost to Arizona. So how many people were deeply upset by the loss to UCLA? To Oregon? To Stanford? Sure, people weren't happy about those, but it doesn't even come close to how painful the losses used to be.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    DJ- sounds like you need to stop living in the past.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hope we get back to the point where every loss matters and hurts. Losses still bother me, but not as much late in the season after already losing 4 games. I remember being really pissed about losing to Oregon in 2000 and Oregon State and Texas in 2001. The most pissed I got during the Sark years was last year against Stanford.

Just a guess, but I think people were more pissed than usual about this loss because of the fashion in which we lost. I also think it was because we played relatively well and still found a way to lose. I think it was also a accumulation of the whole season to this point.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'm sorry, I believe it was a leaf flag! I guess I will forget it if I lose my brain
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I was expecting to get steamrolled and we didn't, which is partly why I'm not still upset. However, I want to jump off the Aurora bridge because I expected UW to get steamrolled by Arizona, which speaks to the state of the program, like Kaiser DJ said.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's probably a little of all of it rolled together ...

The way we lost ...

The expectations going into the season ...

Tired of losing ...

Tired of watching Oregon be good while we sit back pissing in the wind ...

The losses of the past hurt in a lot of ways because in many of those instances we lost far more than the game ...

This season has been trying ... We've had a lot of steps backwards canceling out many of the steps we've taken forward ...

I'm a firm believer that one of the most difficult skills to learn in sports is how to win. A game like Saturday tells me that we still have a way to go in this program in terms of making winning plays.

In the grand scheme of things, the negatives in losing Saturday are only magnified IF we fail to win either of our last two games.

There's a lot of soul searching that everybody in this program needs to have with themselves this offseason. The difference right now between 2-5 and 5-2 are very small.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    It is funny that you pick up on RD's comment, but miss a scary theme going around the board. Several posters a pointing out the "improvement" they saw on Saturday vs. the Cats. To me that is an even more disturbing thought process.

13 penalties for 111 yards

3 turnovers

Multiple game management decisions

No matter where you think the blame lies, that was a very sloppy game against a VERY AVERAGE Arizona team.

To me it was a meaningless game in terms of TSWAO after that fake punt vs. the Furd.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

It is funny that you pick up on RD's comment, but miss a scary theme going around the board. Several posters a pointing out the "improvement" they saw on Saturday vs. the Cats. To me that is an even more disturbing thought process.

13 penalties for 111 yards

3 turnovers

Multiple game management decisions

No matter where you think the blame lies, that was a very sloppy game against a VERY AVERAGE Arizona team.

To me it was a meaningless game in terms of TSWAO after that fake punt vs. the Furd.

If you didn't see improvement, you didn't watch the game.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    The season has been over for a while. A win or loss didn't matter as it wouldn't impact shit. Some people say recruiting but I think Pete is good at selling the long term vision of the program and not just "hey dude come play for us and I will give you the ball a lot and make you a star."

Not calling the timeout is still mind boggling but the rest of the game the team did show improvement and it was their best game of the season imo.

I still think year 3 is going to be the year to really judge Petersen as I think the team will take a step back next year with the defensive studs gone and not a lot of improvement in offense. It is going to be a bloodbath around here next year.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Some of the penalties were legit ... Others were downright comical.

In many ways Saturday was the best game we played all year ... In many ways the worst
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I have an open mind toward next year. One would have thought that our freshmen DBs would have been aerially raped this year (especially after the Eastern game) but that hasn't been the case. That's no accident. If that kind of improvement can show itself in other areas of the team, who is to say what the limits are for next year's Dawgs?

Derek, I think you will enjoy the latest podcast. We dig into this some and I think we did a solid plug for HH and DFI.

• Options
    Founders Club
    jecornel said:

I have an open mind toward next year. One would have thought that our freshmen DBs would have been aerially raped this year (especially after the Eastern game) but that hasn't been the case. That's no accident. If that kind of improvement can show itself in other areas of the team, who is to say what the limits are for next year's Dawgs?

Derek, I think you will enjoy the latest podcast. We dig into this some and I think we did a solid plug for HH and DFI.

I will be listening this afternoon.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Losing, especially in such a fashion, was a huge deal to me. Losses like that show me we are not getting better. We still have player doing stupid things on the field. I'm not seeing the leadership of our coaching staff and their ability to teach kids to do things the right way making a difference. I went to UW from '92 to '96. I've been a season ticket holder since '03. The difference in the program during those two time periods can no longer be measured and I seriously question our ability to get back to where we once were. Fuck I really hate our program.