Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Looking ahead to 2015

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I sort of agree Tequila, but 6-5 is fucking bullshit. I'm a fairly patient person too. It's hard to accept.

It's not easy at all. It pisses me off.

But at the same time, I see so many losing plays made. Some that show up pretty obviously. Some that don't show up so obviously.

By my count, our direct errors (Miles fumble inside the 20, containment on the fake FG, the Miles fumble at the end of the half, Van Winkle pinging the upright, and the grounder snap on the extra point) cost us 21 points.

I've heard so many different versions of excuses tonight it's borderline comical and I probably should have had more to drink.

But we lost this game in so many ways today ... the frustrating part was that you saw a lot of great things today. There's a lot of work that needs to be done in the program ... will be interesting to see how it plays out.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    H_D said:

2-5 in conference. Focusing on the positives is fucking stupid. We put up a fight, yay! Look at the improvement. Any doog could have done the same thing for any Sark team.

The thing that is so disappointing is that Petersen had such a reputation for superb playcalling and game management. Then he comes here and week after week we see breakdowns and errors on the coaching staff with WTF playcalls.
    Team looks a little tougher, hits a little harder, but agree that all the small details have been been totally awol.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

What a great fight the team put up at Stanford last year! They got down early, but they never quit!

Except ASJ...He fucking sucked.
  • Options
    Over 500 yards of offense today ... the offensive play calling wasn't the issue today with the exception of the decision to or not to take a knee on the fumble by Cooper.

While I understand those saying to take a knee (and I was one of them in the stadium before the play took place) ... the bottom line is that the RB (in this case Cooper) needs to hold onto the ball in that situation.

Winners make winning plays ... losers make losing plays. We made way too many losing plays today (and for most of the season).
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

We have a real issue as a fan base right now IMO ...

There's a lot of impatience in our fan base because we haven't won the conference since 2000 combined with the success of Oregon. To too many of our fan base, the success that Don James had is the gold standard and the expectation is that we're going to have years like 1990-1992 every year isn't necessarily a problem from having a high standard perspective but also a problem in the sense that we're not at that level right now and the expectations that we are means that we're not in a great position to meet them.

Almost every single person that I ran into here in Tucson said how great of a coach Petersen is, how lucky we are to have hm, and how surprised they are at our general impatience with him as it is very palpable. For as great as 92-12 for Petersen was as a sign when we hired him, it's now a massive problem for him as those that were conference title or bust are fucking going ape shit right now.

I'm a firm believer that there's never one play that wins or loses you a game. It's easy to point to one thing and say that that is what won or lost you the game. But it's never the case. There are normally close to 150 plays a game.

In many ways today, we played our best game of the season. In many other ways, we played one of our worst games of the season. It's a microcosm of what we're seeing this year in this transition. We make a number of winning plays. We still make a number of losing plays. We hear a lot about details. And the details killed us today. Some from the coaching staff. Some from the players.

I get the frustration. There's no doubt about that - it's there. If there wasn't, you wouldn't care.

But as a whole, Petersen's going to get time to get everything built his way. For those buying in, there's a lot of positives that we're seeing. But at the same time, there's also a lot of mistakes (including from the coaching staff - which BTW happens for almost every single team almost every single week). I know it's hard to be patient because we've had such a hard time for so long. But there's also a need to have patience while at the same time maintaining a level of expectations.

Not trying to play the moral victory card this year, but our losses this year have been by 7, 25, 14, 14, and 1 this year. We have our current limitations, but we're also not THAT far away. It's a frustrating year. But we can't continue taking steps backwards. Petersen is the guy that we need to be successful. Because honestly, if he isn't successful, we'll be hard pressed to ever find a guy to be successful again.

Disagree? Not sure...didn't read all of it...couldn't give a shit. Beginning of the year everyone said 10 wins or fuck off. Now its the 'we didn't lose by much' argument? Should we hire Mike Riley?

Didn't watch the game (why should I...the season it over), but it sounds like it was 1 step forward and 2 steps back. And if we could have sat on the ball and won but didn't then its a very expensive fuck-up.

Next year will be interesting. But its more for Peterman...BSU was given to him on a plate...he didn't have to build the culture or develop a bunch of assistants from scratch. He gets his start here. If there is no staff turnover it should scare the shit out of everybody. If Miley starts game one next year it should scare the shit out of everyone.

Why the fuck do I even care about UW football again? Its been in a deep coma for 10+ years and counting.
    Something that was ignored because of 92-12.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

Tequilla said:

There's a lot of impatience in our fan base because we haven't won the conference since 2000 combined with the success of Oregon. To too many of our fan base, the success that Don James had is the gold standard and the expectation is that we're going to have years like 1990-1992 every year isn't necessarily a problem from having a high standard perspective but also a problem in the sense that we're not at that level right now and the expectations that we are means that we're not in a great position to meet them.

Almost every single person that I ran into here in Tucson said how great of a coach Petersen is, how lucky we are to have hm, and how surprised they are at our general impatience with him as it is very palpable. For as great as 92-12 for Petersen was as a sign when we hired him, it's now a massive problem for him as those that were conference title or bust are fucking going ape shit right now.

I'm a firm believer that there's never one play that wins or loses you a game. It's easy to point to one thing and say that that is what won or lost you the game. But it's never the case. There are normally close to 150 plays a game.

In many ways today, we played our best game of the season. In many other ways, we played one of our worst games of the season. It's a microcosm of what we're seeing this year in this transition. We make a number of winning plays. We still make a number of losing plays. We hear a lot about details. And the details killed us today. Some from the coaching staff. Some from the players.

I get the frustration. There's no doubt about that - it's there. If there wasn't, you wouldn't care.

But as a whole, Petersen's going to get time to get everything built his way. For those buying in, there's a lot of positives that we're seeing. But at the same time, there's also a lot of mistakes (including from the coaching staff - which BTW happens for almost every single team almost every single week). I know it's hard to be patient because we've had such a hard time for so long. But there's also a need to have patience while at the same time maintaining a level of expectations.

Not trying to play the moral victory card this year, but our losses this year have been by 7, 25, 14, 14, and 1 this year. We have our current limitations, but we're also not THAT far away. It's a frustrating year. But we can't continue taking steps backwards. Petersen is the guy that we need to be successful. Because honestly, if he isn't successful, we'll be hard pressed to ever find a guy to be successful again.

Disagree? Not sure...didn't read all of it...couldn't give a shit. Beginning of the year everyone said 10 wins or fuck off. Now its the 'we didn't lose by much' argument? Should we hire Mike Riley?

Didn't watch the game (why should I...the season it over), but it sounds like it was 1 step forward and 2 steps back. And if we could have sat on the ball and won but didn't then its a very expensive fuck-up.

Next year will be interesting. But its more for Peterman...BSU was given to him on a plate...he didn't have to build the culture or develop a bunch of assistants from scratch. He gets his start here. If there is no staff turnover it should scare the shit out of everybody. If Miley starts game one next year it should scare the shit out of everyone.

Why the fuck do I even care about UW football again? Its been in a deep coma for 10+ years and counting.
    Good poonts except one thing...

You are poasting on HHB about how disappointing Husky Football has been yet there is a glimmer of hope next year at 10:00 PM PST AND you didn't watch today's game??? I call shenanigans.
  • Options
    Not giving Petersen a pass ... I thought 11 wins was possible. Take away the Oregon and UCLA games and you could argue that we could/should have won each of them.

I'm also not going to sit there and say that Petersen should be fired after this year either. If there's more of the same over the next 2 years ... then Petersen's body of work will speak for itself and the decision plays itself out.

Everybody acting tough like Petersen should be fired or clearly isn't the answer at this point has some pre-ejaculation issues.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    Tequilla said:

Not giving Petersen a pass ... I thought 11 wins was possible. Take away the Oregon and UCLA games and you could argue that we could/should have won each of them.

I'm also not going to sit there and say that Petersen should be fired after this year either. If there's more of the same over the next 2 years ... then Petersen's body of work will speak for itself and the decision plays itself out.

Everybody acting tough like Petersen should be fired or clearly isn't the answer at this point has some pre-ejaculation issues.

There hasn't been one poster that seriously said Petersen should be fired.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,631
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    H_D: The season's been over for weeks...thought most people around here already knew that. Was at a birthday party with my kid during the game...have it on my DVR but why the hell would I watch it? Its apparently a slightly different dumpster fire as a bunch of other games this year with the same ending. Why is this difficult to understand?

Tequilla: Peterman isn't getting fired for at least 4 years...hell probably 5 or 6 with the stupid contract Pool Boy wrote up. Its more just a measure of how painful are those years going to be vs. it being a lot longer and getting better. The one takeaway from this year is that Peterman is learning on the job...just hope he's not too stubborn and set in his ways to adapt and develop.

I love beer.
  • Options
    This fanbase is a dumpster fire right now ... it's flat out fucktarded to look at.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Tequilla said:

This fanbase is a dumpster fire right now ... it's flat out fucktarded to look at.

I wonder why that would be.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

Teq man, stop. One of the most devastating losses we've ever had people are going to fucking vent and be irrational. Get some sleep and start the doog pontificating tomorrow and you may get a better reception.
  • Options
    claychaclaycha Member Posts: 662
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    At LEAST the fan base isn't able to say "Fire Sark". Look at the bright side.
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    Tequilla said:

Fuck off
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dhdawg said:

2017 is going to be really special

We'll hate Browning by then.