Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Another Stellar Incoming OLine Class

Comments

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131

Our starting 5 look great:

LT - Zach Banner
    LG - Nick Rowland
    C- Hroniss Grasu
    RG - Josh Garnett
    RT - Stephane Nembot

Oops!!!

I hate to be a wdwha guy, but I have seen Banner play 4 times from his sophomore to senior year, and he sucks. I will be surprised if he ever does shit at USC. He gave up sacks to shitty teams. The excuse the dawgman guys gave was that he was too big to block a 6'0" 210 DE and when he blocked players closer to his size he would do well. It was the worst analysis I ever heard, not that it was all that surprising.

I guess beggars can't be choosers, but Banner was very overrated. Greg Biggins said the same thing as well. He should have stuck to basketball IMO.

Yeah. Banner was way overrated because he was so big as a 9th grader. I used to work out at the same place as him and watched him struggle to bench 225. This was after he had already committed to USC. The sad thing is he will probably transfer to UW in a year after not sniffing the field at USC and the doogs will say "who says Sark can't pull in big time O Linemen?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

No worries. Bumper crop next year.

I'm not even kidding someone actually said we have a bumper crop of in state talent in 2015 and I go gee where have I heard that before. Then I was met with "Why are you always so negative about Sark?"

Apparently being honest= being negative.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club
    Global said:

OL is low priority for Sark even though he would never admit it. And fundamentally he made his first mistake by hiring Dan Cozzetto when his first choice from Cal reversed and turned Sark down. Cozzetto is a mean-spirited screamer who cannot teach. None of these talented OL prospects want to play for him, since word of his style has got out. Of course other teams use Cozzetto against us in recruiting. But Sark has kept Cozzetto despite the most inept years of OL recruiting and development in UW football history.
    Unacceptable.

Mostly agree, though as bad as the O-line has been under Sark, it was even worse under Tyrone, and I recall you specifically preaching for "continuity" when Tyrone was the coach. I remember you railing against the "coaching carousel" without acknowledging that programs with high expectations hire and fire coaches until they get the right one in place. On the College Fix, you tagged those of us who wanted Mora to take over as "Morans", a label we adopted for our "tribe".

The head coach is the most important piece of the puzzle. He is ultimately responsible for all aspects of the program. When he's not getting it done, the program's performance suffers and it's time for a change. Cozzetto is not getting it done, but he is not going to replace himself. As head coach, that is Sark's responsibility. Sark is not getting it done. Not with Cozzetto, not with replacing Nuss, not with preparing the team, not with a great many other details.

Sark should have been fired last year after closing out the season the way he did, just as Tyrone needed to be fired in Hawaii, but in both cases the Athletic Department failed to act. Tyrone subsequently treated us to an 0-12 season. We'll see what Sark has in store this year. Sark is an improvement over Tyrone, but that needs to be viewed in light of Tyrone's standing as the worst head coach in the history of the football program. Sark has proven himself to be mediocre. His teams are subject to blow out losses, they show up to games unprepared, can't win on the road, and can be seen smiling win or lose. There is no way for them to take the next step without vast improvement and a complete change of tone, including adopting some of Cozzetto's "mean-spiritedness" on the field.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club

I'm not even kidding someone actually said we have a bumper crop of in state talent in 2015 and I go gee where have I heard that before. Then I was met with "Why are you always so negative about Sark?"

Here's today's lesson in life for you:

It's never what's being said that matters, it's who is saying it.

The Cal OL coach got up here, quickly saw that Sark's staff had a frat house mentality, and wanted no part of it when others wanted his services.

So he joins the Raiders instead????
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

The Cal OL coach got up here, quickly saw that Sark's staff had a frat house mentality, and wanted no part of it when others wanted his services.

That's too bad, but it does make sense. I remember when Sark hired Michalczik. I thought he'd add a level of experience and maturity to the staff that was obviously missing, and he had done a great job with Cal's O-line. Seemed like a good hire by Sark. I viewed his subsequent move to Oakland as an opportunity for him to stay in the bay area while working for a personal friend and making NFL money.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2013
    Cozzetto sucks, and it's not even a debate. The last good OL he coached was at ASU in the late 90's. High school recruits were infants and toddlers the last time Cozzetto coached a good OL. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Having said that, he is not the reason we don't get good OL recruits, Sark is.

Of course, Sark would like to get good OL recruits, but is there any doubt he enjoys recruiting a good QB or WR more than the OL? Don't you think we would have more good OL if Sark personally recruited them and made them know how badly we needed them? Instead, he pawns off the in state guys from 2012 on Cox who fucks it up, and becomes the scapegoat for who is actually responsible for fucking up, the guy in charge, Sark.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,041 Founders Club

Didn't he end up on the Raiders staff? What does that say about Sark when you choose the Oakland Raiders under Dementia Al Davis over UW?

So we can't mock doogs? If that's the case this forum would be pretty dull.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,616 Founders Club

Did I say that? You're free to say almost anything you want here. But you implied you were exasperated so I was passing along a little wisdom.

Did I say that? You're free to say almost anything you want here. But you implied you were exasperated so I was passing along a little wisdom.
    If I was truly exasperated I wouldn't be posting it on a message board where everyone is a smart ass.
  • GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333

Cozzetto sucks, and it's not even a debate. The last good OL he coached was at ASU in the late 90's. High school recruits were infants and toddlers the last time Cozzetto coached a good OL. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Having said that, he is not the reason we don't get good OL recruits, Sark is.

Of course, Sark would like to get good OL recruits, but is there any doubt he enjoys recruiting a good QB or WR more than the OL? Don't you think we would have more good OL if Sark personally recruited them and made them know how badly we needed them? Instead, he pawns off the in state guys from 2012 on Cox who fucks it up, and becomes the scapegoat for who is actually responsible for fucking up, the guy in charge, Sark.

Very true. The writing is on the wall.

As SouthernDawg notes, I am big proponent of coaching stability, and against the "coaching carousel" mentality. Coaching stability was a factor in DJ's success, and more recently in Oregon's success. But it depends on having good coaches in place to begin with. In response to SouthernDawg, it is true that for years I have argued in favor of coaching stability, and that lead to me being supportive of coaches who did not deserve support. What i have said also is that (as in the case of Sark and as became the case with Willingham), they should be judged by teams composed of their own recruits who have been coached through their system. I know that there are times when a new coach will have success with the previous team's recruits, but the measure of whether a coach is suitable for longer term -- i.e., whether he can be the guy for coaching stability -- is how his teams do in year's 4-5 when his recruits become upperclassmen trained in his system. I was wrong to support a last year for Willingham, and I said so at the time, but I did support him for the reasons I state above. I should have discarded those reasons, but I did not in favor of stability.

I have learned from that experience, and in fact have been critical of Sark from the time of his hiring. His failure to fire Cozzetto last year was the last straw for me, so Sark deserves firing. Not only because of Cozzetto, but because of play calling, recruiting that does not build the core of the team (OL and DL), weak attitudes across the team, and the obvious: three 7-6 records. The first two were more understandable considering the schedules we inherited. The 2012 season was a mess from the beginning. I could see it in the spring practices of 2012 and again in fall practice, and in the opening game against San Diego State, the wheels went off the Husky team after the first two series. They never came back on, even though we had an amazing win against Stanford that somehow blurred the issues once again.

Sark should have been fired after the Apple Cup last year.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Passion said:

Global said:

OL is low priority for Sark even though he would never admit it. And fundamentally he made his first mistake by hiring Dan Cozzetto when his first choice from Cal reversed and turned Sark down. Cozzetto is a mean-spirited screamer who cannot teach. None of these talented OL prospects want to play for him, since word of his style has got out. Of course other teams use Cozzetto against us in recruiting. But Sark has kept Cozzetto despite the most inept years of OL recruiting and development in UW football history.
    Unacceptable.

Sark is fucking dead weight to this program. Every year that he is retained is another year of celebration for other teams in the conference. They get to negatively recruit against UW.

I don't know what dirty pictures Sark has of Pool Boy, but they must be pretty incriminating to keep him around this long. For a school that once prided itself on football, it's a fucking embarrassment.
    obvious spell checks
    Why are some of you guys making the same mistakes as doogs where you are blaming position coach? It all falls to the top.

The OL won't improve until Sark is fired. Simple as that.
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam

Is this a thought of yours or did you hear this from someone?

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    edited July 2013
    Global said:

As SouthernDawg notes, I am big proponent of coaching stability, and against the "coaching carousel" mentality. Coaching stability was a factor in DJ's success, and more recently in Oregon's success. But it depends on having good coaches in place to begin with. In response to SouthernDawg, it is true that for years I have argued in favor of coaching stability, and that lead to me being supportive of coaches who did not deserve support. What i have said also is that (as in the case of Sark and as became the case with Willingham), they should be judged by teams composed of their own recruits who have been coached through their system. I know that there are times when a new coach will have success with the previous team's recruits, but the measure of whether a coach is suitable for longer term -- i.e., whether he can be the guy for coaching stability -- is how his teams do in year's 4-5 when his recruits become upperclassmen trained in his system. I was wrong to support a last year for Willingham, and I said so at the time, but I did support him for the reasons I state above. I should have discarded those reasons, but I did not in favor of stability.

I have learned from that experience, and in fact have been critical of Sark from the time of his hiring. His failure to fire Cozzetto last year was the last straw for me, so Sark deserves firing. Not only because of Cozzetto, but because of play calling, recruiting that does not build the core of the team (OL and DL), weak attitudes across the team, and the obvious: three 7-6 records. The first two were more understandable considering the schedules we inherited. The 2012 season was a mess from the beginning. I could see it in the spring practices of 2012 and again in fall practice, and in the opening game against San Diego State, the wheels went off the Husky team after the first two series. They never came back on, even though we had an amazing win against Stanford that somehow blurred the issues once again.

If you want stability, the option is obvious. Promote Wilcox and keep the D coaches on board. Keisau coached with Wilcox and Tosh at Cal. Jim Michalzek was the OL coach at Cal at the time. I'm sure you could pull him away from Arizona. Then all you really need is to hire a new OC. Out- Sark, Nansen, Cozetto. In-Michalzek, & new OC. This staff would be able to make huge inroads in the bay area. With Sark & Nansen's frat-boy mentality gone, you'd be able to rebuild in state behind Sirmon. Go out and get the best OC available. Almost any OC would be an upgrade over Sark.

Whatever the case, the sooner Sark is gone the better.

Global said:

If you want stability, the option is obvious. Promote Wilcox and keep the D coaches on board. Keisau coached with Wilcox and Tosh at Cal. Jim Michalzek was the OL coach at Cal at the time. I'm sure you could pull him away from Arizona. Then all you really need is to hire a new OC. Out- Sark, Nansen, Cozetto. In-Michalzek, & new OC. This staff would be able to make huge inroads in the bay area. With Sark & Nansen's frat-boy mentality gone, you'd be able to rebuild in state behind Sirmon. Go out and get the best OC available. Almost any OC would be an upgrade over Sark.

Whatever the case, the sooner Sark is gone the better.
    Let's hire Wilcox as head coach. Cause hiring first time head coaches with no head coaching offers worked so well with Sark.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,041 Founders Club

Answer the question!

No no no, that's me speculating.