Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

For all the Jonathan Smith haters

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
We threw 19 passes and ran 40 times.

He's not my favorite OC, but today was well called.

Comments

• PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,468
    Except there were a dozen FS play calls that fucked our shit up. The third quarter especially had two series that were just fucking brutal.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Still plenty fucktarded. They get the 56-yard run from Shaq, and what do they do? Run to Coop for 3, run to Taylor for 3, incomplete throw from Miles, field goal.
    You know your OC sucks fucking dick when you feel like in order to win the game the players are going to have to overcome the OC and win despite him.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    I missed the first half cause I had to much blow and the hookers weren't gone yet. But I was glad to see we mixed in the option a little. Like the change, hope we expand it next week.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    J smith some how calls plays that just ruin drives...shaq only had 23 yards in the 2nd half...that taylor play was horrific...he came out three straight times killing a series... he oddly just goes away with what working.... ditch jet sweeps all together.
    jecornel said:

J smith some how calls plays that just ruin drives...shaq only had 23 yards in the 2nd half...that taylor play was horrific...he came out three straight times killing a series... he oddly just goes away with what working.... ditch jet sweeps all together.

This. The guy is learning on the job and that is fucking stupid for a Power 5 conference program. First year guys cut their teeth at San Diego State or Eastern, not the fucking PAC12.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

For all the talk about Cyler having a noodle arm, I actually think his accuracy is better in the intermediate game than short. He throws a decent ball and even overthrew a deep ball. I don't think his arm strength is really an issue. Indecision and reading defenses is a much bigger problem.

He does throw the intermediate and deep ball pretty well, but he's not throwing darts in between double coverage, those balls are always to open receivers where his touch helps but there's no real need to fire it in there. His arm strength is an issue because it limits the types of throws he can make, but I agree the indecision is a bigger issue.

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

jecornel said:

This. The guy is learning on the job and that is fucking stupid for a Power 5 conference program. First year guys cut their teeth at San Diego State or Eastern, not the fucking PAC12.
    Well that highlights the huge difference with how the huskies have been compared to power programs and the huskies in the 90s. There's usually 4 or 5 blowouts a year where our freshman get to play the entire fourth quarter, even against PAC 12 teams.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

It was a lot better today. They finally called some downfield passing plays too. The offense needs to improve the rest of the season against these dreckfest defenses. They were pretty good today. 24 points isn't great, but they had two fumbles inside the 10 yard line. It's at least something to build on.

Better. Far from perfect. Far from good. But, better.
  • drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    jecornel said:

Actually on one of those sweeps, Cooper passed right by a Buff. If he makes that block, Taylor had a chance to run for a TD.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    uzi said:

dnc said:

Nothing brings out better performance like knowing your job is in jeopardy.

Still waiting to see a good O performance against an average or better Pac 12 caliber defense.

If he proves me wrong -- great. I'm all for that, but I'm not humping his leg yet.

Let's see how his play calling works next weak against UCLA.

Until then, I'll enjoy this win.

Agree about taking it week to week. There are four more opportunities to show something. We don't play a good defense the rest of the way. That goes for Cyler at QB too.
  • SarkinghamSarkingham Member Posts: 287

jecornel said:

I could be wrong, but didn't Smiff "cut his teeth" as an OC at mighty Montana?
  • uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298

jecornel said:

I could be wrong, but didn't Smiff "cut his teeth" as an OC at mighty Montana?
    Yeah... but not during their good years.
  • mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254

For all the talk about Cyler having a noodle arm, I actually think his accuracy is better in the intermediate game than short. He throws a decent ball and even overthrew a deep ball. I don't think his arm strength is really an issue. Indecision and reading defenses is a much bigger problem.

I said that a couple weeks ago. His delivery is long (which isn't a good thing). But it means he has to anticipate more.

He's not as bad as some want to believe.

• WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
    Agree today was an improvement. Improvement is a relative term and Colorado is absolutely terrible, but the calls were better on the whole. I still think we beat UCLA.
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    dnc said:

How many of those "run plays" were called passing plays where Miley tucked it and ran without any (or little) pressure?
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
    H_D said:

dnc said:

How many of those "run plays" were called passing plays where Miley tucked it and ran without any (or little) pressure?
    I don't think that was a huge issue today. Actually, today was the first time I've seen him complete a pass after running for the sideline.