Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why is Sark fucking changing the offense in year 4

Comments

• IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    And as long as we have a certain position coach, top kids are not going to play here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

And as long as we have a certain headcoach, top kids are not going to play here.

Fixed
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club

I'm hopeful that the new offense will work, and I have a suspicion that our first quarter against BSU will be electrifying.

But here's my concern: Remember back in the Neuheisel days, when he got all cutesy with trying to do late substitutions to get the best matchups defensively with the opposing offense? How many times did the opponent snap the ball before we were set? The players I interviewed in subsequent years told me how much they hated it. That's my concern for the offense under Sark. That as the season wears on it'll be a cutesy clusterfuck and announcers will be deriding it during a national telecast at some point.

My concern is the lack of attention to detail across the board and an inability to adjust. Someone brought up how the Huskies looked in an old game they were watching. Very good in all three phases of the game. This is a trait of successful coaches. Guys like Harbaugh, Shaw, Saban, Bowden, Hayes, Schembechler, James, McKay, Carroll, Donahue, Mora (on his way) ..... etc., weren't/aren't particularly innovative. These guys cover their bases and practice/train in ways that develop their recruits into NFL caliber players. They have their teams ready to go come game time and have the ability to adjust as necessary. It's a shame that we don't have one of those types running the program right now.

The change to a "hurry up" (not necessarily zone read spread option) offense at this point tells me Sark is feeling some heat and grabbing for straws. I hope it works, but if it doesn't and he doesn't adjust, this will be a very long season.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

And as long as we have a certain negative posters, top kids are not going to play here.

DM.c'd that for you
    Idiots on the free board absolutely KILLED Sark's recruiting from '09-'11. Brutal. He never had a chance.
    WTFITFB?

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    DeepSeaZ said:

Did he just refer to himself as Lambo?

Is it wrong that I actually enjoyed the thought of Lambo as a Quad?

DeepSeaZ said:

Your screenname/avatar is an homage to Gilby's manboobs. You are known as a lover of lemons. Pretty sure you moved past caring "is it wrong that I enjoyed the thought of ______________" a long time ago.

DeepSeaZ said:

Your screenname/avatar is an homage to Gilby's manboobs. You are known as a lover of lemons. Pretty sure you moved past caring "is it wrong that I enjoyed the thought of ______________" a long time ago.

Only the avatar is an homage to Gilby.

The screenname is an homage to the greatest drunk Facebook post I've ever seen.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club

DeepSeaZ said:

Only the avatar is an homage to Gilby.

The screenname is an homage to the greatest drunk Facebook post I've ever seen.
    Damn those Yelm cops.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,298
    I'll put my neck out and say I think Sark is installing the offense into the program to give his defense a chance to see it. I dont think we'll 100% commit to it, i think we might do it in spurts.

Sark is a pretty offense coach, hurry up ran to the level of Oregon isn't pretty. It's tickytack, subtle, and frustrating unless it's successful and the floodgates open. I just dont see Sark wanting to run it 100%.

i could be full of shit with my purple lensed glasses on, but if i'm him, I just watched my defense get shellshocked by every hurryup team we faced, and if I feel like it's the future, I want my defense to understand it and be conditioned for it. Granted, I dont know how great defenses prepare for it without facing it in practice.

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    brchco12 said:

I'll put my neck out and say I think Sark is installing the offense into the program to give his defense a chance to see it. I dont think we'll 100% commit to it, i think we might do it in spurts.

Sark is a pretty offense coach, hurry up ran to the level of Oregon isn't pretty. It's tickytack, subtle, and frustrating unless it's successful and the floodgates open. I just dont see Sark wanting to run it 100%.

i could be full of shit with my purple lensed glasses on, but if i'm him, I just watched my defense get shellshocked by every hurryup team we faced, and if I feel like it's the future, I want my defense to understand it and be conditioned for it. Granted, I dont know how great defenses prepare for it without facing it in practice.

You really need to see an Oregon practice to understand what goes into installing a hurry up mentality. Just throwing together a spread offense and using it on your defense isn't going to get it done. You need to install the hurry up to every facet of your practice to get acclimated to the speed and conditioning needed to defend it. That means every drill is in hurry up, you RUN to each station, etc. Sark's spring game bonanza explains everything you need to know about how well this hurry up is going to work. Sark doesn't have the discipline necessary to successfully get his team ready for it.

Now an easier way would be to get some beef on the defensive line and some speed at linebacker, but that limits the amount of 4 star WRs and DBs Sark is able to regress.

brchco12 said:

You really need to see an Oregon practice to understand what goes into installing a hurry up mentality. Just throwing together a spread offense and using it on your defense isn't going to get it done. You need to install the hurry up to every facet of your practice to get acclimated to the speed and conditioning needed to defend it. That means every drill is in hurry up, you RUN to each station, etc. Sark's spring game bonanza explains everything you need to know about how well this hurry up is going to work. Sark doesn't have the discipline necessary to successfully get his team ready for it.

Now an easier way would be to get some beef on the defensive line and some speed at linebacker, but that limits the amount of 4 star WRs and DBs Sark is able to regress.
    The quook's r, yk

brchco12 said:

Oregon's practices really are a thing of beauty to watch.

REAL football practices will REAL coaching will always be better than dance parties and tiger shows.

brchco12 said:

REAL football practices will REAL coaching will always be better than dance parties and tiger shows.
    Kicking Race while he's down. Low tweak.

brchco12 said:

Kicking Race while he's down. Low tweak.

My sources are hearing that Race is a donkey show guy, not a tiger show guy.

It's just what I'm hearing though.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,298

brchco12 said:

Yeah, I remember watching Oregon's painful attempt at transitioning to spread/hurry before chip showed up, I worry we'll get lost in no-mans land like they did.

brchco12 said:

That's not easier because that beef has to be athletic and football smart. Teams with those kind of D-Lines and Linebackers are nearly extinct in the PAC12. Washington and USC used to be those teams, the new Stanford is close, and of course they are in abundance in the SEC, and they don't care what kind of offense you throw at them. They're prepared and capable of defending it.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309

brchco12 said:

That's not easier because that beef has to be athletic and football smart. Teams with those kind of D-Lines and Linebackers are nearly extinct in the PAC12. Washington and USC used to be those teams, the new Stanford is close, and of course they are in abundance in the SEC, and they don't care what kind of offense you throw at them. They're prepared and capable of defending it.
    Push up the middle and Heat from the edge
    edited July 2013

brchco12 said:

Push up the middle and Heat from the edge
    Causation? Thinking about it, that quote seems a bit DM.c. In here it would be a better fit if changed to bare pickling the two hole while spanking some ass.