Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why is Sark fucking changing the offense in year 4

Just watched Saban talk of his philosophy. A similar one Sark used to run at USC. Instead of coming to Washington with a plan, a disciplined running offense with play action and the TE.

Sark instead doesn't have a plan, doesn't know if he'll run or pass and uses the best TE in America as a slot receiver, with cutesy little 5-yard curls and bubble screens. David Shaw HAS a philosophy. One that made Washington great. Now we just Dink and dunk with little lobs and change-of-pace hand offs to Sankey (who does EVERYTHING on his own.)

Comments

• puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    oops, I meant year 5. I Lambo just confused what year we are in. Its like one long 7-6 year. OK all you semantics police, who never bring anything to the table, feel free to ignore the content, instead make fun of my accidental typing error.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,899 Founders Club
    He saw how well it worked out for Romar last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    Old news is so exciting!
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    Because Sark is a fucking fraud. That's the answer. He's just copying Chip Kelly.

The guy isn't innovative at all. Seriously, there is nothing in his offense that is unique. The thing I hear over and over again about Sark's offense is that he runs a lot of the same plays out of multiple formations and uses shifts, motions, and other bullshit to trick defenses into coverages that he wants to run those plays against. I could name plenty of D3 teams that do that shit. Hell, decent high school coaches do that.

Guys like Bill Walsh, Don James, Chip Kelly - those guys off the top of my head - are innovators. Guys like Sark are fucking copycats and are a dime a fucking dozen.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

oops, I meant year 5. I Lambo just confused what year we are in. Its like one long 7-6 year. OK all you semantics police, who never bring anything to the table, feel free to ignore the content, instead make fun of my accidental typing error.

You do know there is an edit function don't you? That's what I thought.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,468 Founders Club
    OK all you semantics police, who never bring anything to the table, feel free to ignore the content, instead make fun of my accidental typing error.
  • trackertracker Member Posts: 866

Seriously, what would Sark say if he had to talk about his coaching philosophy?

He seems like a pretty nice guy but he's not going to take the program to the next level. He's a people-pleaser who wants to be liked by everyone. That's not usually a concern of strong, innovative leaders. He just doesn't have that leadership "it" factor.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Because Sark is a fucking fraud. That's the answer. He's just copying Chip Kelly.

The guy isn't innovative at all. Seriously, there is nothing in his offense that is unique. The thing I hear over and over again about Sark's offense is that he runs a lot of the same plays out of multiple formations and uses shifts, motions, and other bullshit to trick defenses into coverages that he wants to run those plays against. I could name plenty of D3 teams that do that shit. Hell, decent high school coaches do that.

Guys like Bill Walsh, Don James, Chip Kelly - those guys off the top of my head - are innovators. Guys like Sark are fucking copycats and are a dime a fucking dozen.

Not that I disagree with your post, but he doesn't even need to be an innovator to be a good coach. He needs a philosophy and a clear message that the players understand. It will never happen though.

• CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam

Not that I disagree with your post, but he doesn't even need to be an innovator to be a good coach. He needs a philosophy and a clear message that the players understand. It will never happen though.

True. There are ton of coaches who copycat schemes out there that win championships.

But the topic is why Sark is changing the offense in year 5. I'll even submit to you that he's NOT changing the offense. He's only changing the pace at which it's run. And there's even good reasons for it. The opposing defense can't get set, can't substitute as much as they want, they run more base fronts and basic coverages. This enables a hurry up offense to run more basic plays (that even dumber-than-a-rock QBs can audible into), offensive linemen don't have to be as dominating, and gaps in defenses start to get wider.

The shit isn't rocket surgery. If you've been to a coaching clinic the last couple of years, this is what's talked about and it's all the rage. And Chip Kelly is the guy who innovated and perfected it. Sark is just copying what his butt buddy Chip built. Sark tried to copy Pete's fucking "Always Compete" mantra, now he's copying Chip. Wake me when he comes up with an original idea.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited July 2013
    Don James had lambright copy the 46 attack defense from Buddy Ryan.

HTH
  • Dawgs4everDawgs4ever Member Posts: 170
    With our new hurry up offense, it's too bad we didn't keep Holt around as our DC. Would've been fun to see the numbers that Oregon could've put up on us this year with us hurrying to give the ball to them.

Don James had lambright copy the 46 attack defense from Buddy Ryan.

HTH

Good poont.
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    Did he just refer to himself as Lambo?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,350 Founders Club
    edited July 2013
    I'm hopeful that the new offense will work, and I have a suspicion that our first quarter against BSU will be electrifying.

But here's my concern: Remember back in the Neuheisel days, when he got all cutesy with trying to do late substitutions to get the best matchups defensively with the opposing offense? How many times did the opponent snap the ball before we were set? The players I interviewed in subsequent years told me how much they hated it. That's my concern for the offense under Sark. That as the season wears on it'll be a cutesy clusterfuck and announcers will be deriding it during a national telecast at some point.

I'm hopeful that the new offense will work, and I have a suspicion that our first quarter against BSU will be electrifying.

But here's my concern: Remember back in the Neuheisel days, when he got all cutesy with trying to do late substitutions to get the best matchups defensively with the opposing offense? How many times did the opponent snap the ball before we were set? The players I interviewed in subsequent years told me how much they hated it. That's my concern for the offense under Sark. That as the season wears on it'll be a cutesy clusterfuck and announcers will be deriding it during a national telecast at some point.

How is that different from the last four years? I feel like everything Sark does is a cutesy clusterfuck.

In fact that could be the name for your next book. "Husky football in the Steve Sarkisian era: A cutesy clusterfuck".

The guy is so far in over his head. He has no identity as a coach or as an offensive play caller. When he gets fired by UW(in 2017) I wouldn't even want him as an OC or QB coach.

What I think is likely to happen is that eventually our offense won't be able to make enough first downs to justify running the no-huddle hurry up bullshit and we'll be burning less than 30 seconds off the game clock while we're on offense and our defense will be fucking gassed.

Its just like basketball. If you have the better talent, you'll want to speed the game up to give yourself more possessions, more opportunities to score. If you don't, you're going to want to slow down the pace, take the air out of the ball, and hope you're more efficient than the more talented team.

Who knows if Sark gets this. I'm guessing he doesn't and Arizona, ASU, UCLA, and Oregon will sideways plunger fuck us into tears because their time of possession will be 40 minutes to our 20, our special teams will suck balls again, and their score will start with a 5 and ours will start with a 1....rather easily, say 56-13?
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    Not sure why we want to get in a track meet with the likes of Oregon, Arizona and UCLA. Heck, we can't even keep up with WSU in the 4th qtr.

Not sure why we want to get in a track meet with the likes of Oregon, Arizona and UCLA. Heck, we can't even keep up with WSU in the 4th qtr.

Our head coach is in over his head that's why. He has no clue how to game plan week to week, make adjustments, coach up his kids, or see the flow of the fucking game.

Exactly. No one should want to get in a track meet with those guys. You might not have wanted to get raped, but you're walking downtown with nothing but a sports bra, fishnets, and fuck me pumps. I mean, you're going to get pounded in the ass.

The only way to beat teams like that is get them in a phone booth and slug it out. Is there a team in the conference that can do that? Oh yeah...Stanford, the Rose Bowl champs.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754

Exactly. No one should want to get in a track meet with those guys. You might not have wanted to get raped, but you're walking downtown with nothing but a sports bra, fishnets, and fuck me pumps. I mean, you're going to get pounded in the ass.

The only way to beat teams like that is get them in a phone booth and slug it out. Is there a team in the conference that can do that? Oh yeah...Stanford, the Rose Bowl champs.
    And we have come full circle to my original point in the other thread. For all the bitching about Sark, his #1 failure is to recruit TOP level talent on both lines.

People get fooled by the smoke and mirrors of Oregon, but the majority of their success comes from the quality of their beef in the trenches.