Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I've got a good feeling about this game

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,684
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not even many UO fans are picking Oregon against the spread but it remains at 21. So the money isn't moving. UW looks like a sucker bet. Oregon covers if they win but UW shocks the world and wins outright. If you think Oregon is going to win they are going to cover

This made sense to me when I wrote it
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,526
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Yes, teams have been going after Olumu (CB, #14) with surprising success. I know he made a play against UCLA but he's undersized so I'd love to see Campbell or KW block him on an outside screen to Ross or Mickens.

A TE screen to Darrell Daniels would be great to see too (or to Perkins, when he returns in the second half after his crime against humanity last weekend @ Cal).
    jecornel said:

Tequilla said:

I think our defense will be able to hold them from completely running wild, but their defense isn't Cal bad. If we had a top notch running back like Sankey/Polk then I would feel very confident. Coleman/Washington just aren't good enough to be able to Stanford them out.

Cal's defense is terrible against the pass. Statistically, they are better than Oregon against the run by almost a full yard per carry.

We don't need Coleman and Washington to be Sankey or Polk. We need them to continue averaging around 4.4 to 4.5 yards per carry, setting up favorable down and distance situations for Miles, and creating just enough problems that Oregon's got to push up a safety so that Miles can work the play action game enough to find open throws in the intermediate to deep game. That's the exact playbook that Arizona used very successfully to beat Oregon.
    Find Ross.......
  • Options
    DuckinTurkeyDuckinTurkey Member Posts: 38
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Race Bannon has visioned a Husky champions on ducks every year since we got the interwebs in Istanbul. This year will makes it 0-3, very nice.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I think Fisher is the difference. If he was out you'd have to think UW's front 7 would have a big advantage.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You wanna talk about money grabs, if UW wins this one, any of that 94 throwback shit will clean up on eBay.

I figured they would donate all that stuff to hospitals in Dallas.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014

The Race Bannon has visioned a Husky champions on ducks every year since we got the interwebs in Istanbul. This year will makes it 0-3, very nice.

That is a widespread misconception. It's true in the early days of the pod cast when we would proclaim UW had better talent but...Ty...but UW wins! By Sark we had abandoned all hope. Oregon's talent and coaching edge were too big and obvious. Oregon still has a far bigger talent edge than most Huskies posting here will admit. I thought the position breakdowns earlier this week were way out of whack. Oregon is better almost everywhere but coaching,

Make no mistake, a Husky win would be a huge upset. But they happen every week
    Maybe under Chip, your beliefs about the talent gap would be true. From what I've seen, there isn't a large gap. I would take UW's roster over Oregon's excluding QB. There is also a huge gap at RB. UW has a substantially better front 7, the slightly better out of the dreckfest OL's.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW has played 1 decent game. And even in that game the offense was underwhelming. Caps defense is worse than Oregons. 21 points is the right betting line.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah, he's probably one of, if not the biggest, reasons Oregon is favored by 20.5.

But I am thinking a lot of money betting tomorrow that his return and convincingly beating UCLA are worth a ton of points and I disagree. UCLA's offense has talent but their OL is bad and that has really slowed them against decent defenses. UCLA's D also has talent but they are highly average this year with a 1st year DC (1st year ever, not just as UCLA) and losing Anthony Barr and Cassius Marsh from last year's D.

I think Fisher is the difference. If he was out you'd have to think UW's front 7 would have a big advantage.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

That is a widespread misconception. It's true in the early days of the pod cast when we would proclaim UW had better talent but...Ty...but UW wins! By Sark we had abandoned all hope. Oregon's talent and coaching edge were too big and obvious. Oregon still has a far bigger talent edge than most Huskies posting here will admit. I thought the position breakdowns earlier this week were way out of whack. Oregon is better almost everywhere but coaching,

Maybe under Chip, your beliefs about the talent gap would be true. From what I've seen, there isn't a large gap. I would take UW's roster over Oregon's excluding QB. There is also a huge gap at RB. UW has a substantially better front 7, the slightly better out of the dreckfest OL's.
    I'd like this to be true but I have to see it. Oregon has out recruited UW for some time now. They are deeper and we don't have a bell cow on the O line like Fisher. Petersen is the game changer for sure, but this year? We will see
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    U just gotta BELIEVE in our DAWGS! Ignore what those CLASSLESS yuck TROLLS have to SAY and BELIEVE in OUR DAWGS!!!!! Wear PURPLE and be GOLD! WE CAN DO IT! SHOCK THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Serious post....I think we are better in the trenches (I like to call the LOS that). That's gotta count for something, or not.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    But the spread opened at 19 and went up to 21 indicating at least to me that Dook fans think Oregon is a-ok with 1 player back. It is has now moved down a half point and probably will settle at 20 to 19.5 because the smarter money started coming in starting on the Dawgs +21.

The O/U has also dropped a little which is positive for U-Dub all-around. Likely the only way UW covers (let alone wins) is if the game is slower on the scoring side and the Huskies blast away with the front 7 and the running game.

At least that's how I see it.

Not even many UO fans are picking Oregon against the spread but it remains at 21. So the money isn't moving. UW looks like a sucker bet. Oregon covers if they win but UW shocks the world and wins outright. If you think Oregon is going to win they are going to cover

This made sense to me when I wrote it

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    HFNY said:

My crystal balls are now saying Oregon wins 39-24 but they have been wrong, shrunken, and wrinkly before.

I'll be watching to see how RS-Frosh Coleman Shelton (has started 4 or 5 games now IIRC) does against their DL / Tony Washington. I don't think TW is all that great but he's pretty productive for them. At least Shelton already was thrown into the fire against Henry Anderson of Stanford a few weeks ago.

Jake Fisher being back for them is a big plus but how will he play as a LT (he started at RT for them in 2012 and 2013) coming off a leg injury against Kikaha? How will the U-Dub pass-rush do when Kikaha is head up on their walk-on starter at RT and RS-SR Andrew Hudson is over Fisher as a down-lineman? Or what if UW uses Kikaha and Feeney (or Littleton) as stand-up rush guys on the edges with Shelton or E. Hudson and A. Hudson as the interior DL? I love Kikaha or Feeney / Littleton going up against their walk-on RT!!11@!!!#@1!!!

I'll also be interested to see how we defend their read-option to start the game. Do we mostly focus on stopping their RBs and let Mariota carry the ball so we can attempt to (legally) incapacitate him and / or make him extremely uncomfortable. Mariota is very good but he's human so his accuracy and decision making will suffer if he's taking hits (preferably high-low hits):

It's interesting that you show photos of stanford abusing mariotta. Just as important as Shelton and Kikaha (or nearly important) are our LBs.

stanford effectively mixed up their LB blitzes. Guys like shane skov and ben gardner were coming from all different directions, AND THEY SUCCESSFULLY GOT INTO THE BACKFIELD WITHOUT GETTING BLOCKED! THIS IS WHAT KAWASAKI MUST DO! If Timu, Shaq and Feeney are asked to disrupt oregon's backfield, then they better fucking get there. If oregon picks up the blitzes, mariotta will torch us.

Solid play from our front four, and disruption from a myriad of LB blitzes is the key.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

UW has played 1 decent game. And even in that game the offense was underwhelming. Caps defense is worse than Oregons. 21 points is the right betting line.

Not surprised you missed the point.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'd like this to be true but I have to see it. Oregon has out recruited UW for some time now. They are deeper and we don't have a bell cow on the O line like Fisher. Petersen is the game changer for sure, but this year? We will see
    Yes, Oregon has out recruited UW for awhile. But if we are going by recruiting rankings, USC and UCLA have the most talented teams in the league. Talent itself doesn't mean dick. I've read from you many times that coaching matters and player development is equally, if not more important than recruiting. Michigan State is the best team in the Big 10. Baylor and TCU are way better than Texas, and right there with Oklahoma in the Big 12. Mississippi and Miss State are two of the best teams in the country. I know Mississippi has recruited really well lately, but Alabama, LSU, and Auburn's rankings would shit on them if you look at the past 5 years.

If Chip was coach, I'm sure Oregon's talent would look better. I've watched three Oregon games and in each one, the OL was shoddy and the DL was average. The have an outstanding QB, very good RB's, and a pretty good secondary. The rest of their team is unremarkable.
    This is a good post and I don't disagree. We are discussing whether two years of Slingblade have degraded UO to the point that one partial year of Petermen can raise UW to victory. Coaching is more important. I watched a red shirt freshman QB fuck up a few times and still lead Arizona to a win at Autzen. If Petermen gets the guys to believe I like Washington in this one. I did pick them, I just think it is still a pretty big upset
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    WASH+13 in the first half is the way to go if you want a "win" tomorrow.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    I want to believe we can pull a win out, but I have to see it to believe it. Next year I think the tables will have definitely turned in our favor. Prepare for mass suicides off the I-5 bridge crossing the Columbia, if we win.