Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Journalism's Fear of Jesus; The Passion of the Tebow

13»

Comments

• jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    Passion said:

Ut oh. Passion's offended. Shocker.

Sorry, I missed the part where I said I was offended. It simply follows that using a cover story on this website to advance your own political/social beliefs is one (small) step above grinolds and the other d-bags using their power to advance their agenda on doucheman.com. I wouldn't have even responded had it not been THE cover story on this website. Had it been just another post on a message board (where it belongs), I wouldn't have said a thing.

Keep in mind that you are actually agreeing with ducksareoverrated on an issue. That should tell you something.

Passion, I believe this post is an epic whoosh.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited July 2013

Passion said:

Houhusky said:

Passion why don't you ask DJ if you can write a counter viewpoint article, there's not much going on anyways... meh

I try to keep religion, politics, and sports all separate but oh well... Tebow as a football player seems to suck but has always been a winner. Seriously the guy has never lead a losing football team (Jake locker anyone?). While immeasurable, it is a big fucking deal to be a winner and always be a winner. I suspect belichick understands this.

Religion isn't really a left or right issue, like most things it is a statist vs freedom issue. Statist have always seen a higher power that people worship as a threat to themselves. Mao... Stalin... blah blah blah. Religion puts power in something they can't control. The "left" currently acts like statist since they are the ones in control, it will swing back like it always does.

The media has always had it out for anyone who ever projects perfection, Christian or not. People want to see failure, they want to believe someone can't be as good of a person as the project. People want tebow to be caught in a gay midget sex scandal so badly because, on the surface, he seems so good. The story would be huge because its against everything he has painted himself to be. When Hernández killed someone, people just aren't as surprised that a gang banger looking Hispanic guy murdered a few people so the story is dead in a few days.

By and large we're a Husky football website. But from time-to-time we will delve into other topics, and this was something that I wanted to write about because I'm not seeing it expressed anywhere else.

Passion, if you wish to write a counterpoint to my article, we would be happy to run it assuming that it's well-written, as I'm sure it would be. Just be sure to PM me to make sure I'm aware and we'll exchange email addresses and go from there.

DerekJohnson and Houhusky - You miss my point. I took issue with featuring a cover story of this nature. If I posted a "counterpoint" cover story, wouldn't I be just as guilty? Besides, I have no interest in doing so. That's not why I'm here.

Also, I never debated the point of the story or criticized the writing (as others did). Again, I simply said that I disagreed with it being posted. A message board would've been a better forum. In fact, I don't even think it belongs on a football message board, but I certainly would never argue in favor of completely removing it.

If I am to give some credit to dawgman.com, it's that they moved stuff like this to their "unleashed" board. The problem with those d-bags is that you couldn't even talk "football" on the "football board." It had to be scripted to their liking.

I have some pretty firm views on the stuff you wrote, but just don't care to express it here.
    You took offense because you disagree with the message,not that it was posted on the front page. He it been a non Husky article about something that you agreed with you wouldn't have cared. To say otherwise is dishonest.
    Now you're just being stupid and arrogant. Or perhaps it's just ignorance...because you don't know me. But...if you make assumptions about a person without knowing him/her, isn't that stupid? Anyway, your entire argument is based on the false assumption that I was "offended." Wrong. Every day I work in a place where I read material that is WAY more contrary to my beliefs than this one page note - stuff that is researched (sort of) and lengthy. This doesn't even move the needle on my "offense-meter."

Your second assertion is that I would have said nothing if the story advanced a position that I support. Wrong again. On doucheman.com after the 2008 election an Obama supporter did an endzone dance on the football board. I replied, telling the guy that it belonged on the "unleashed board," not the football board.

For somebody that does NOT work around this stuff all the time, I could see how Derek's piece might be antagonizing. However, if you deal with much more flammable stuff every day, it's not a big deal. I come here to talk about Husky Football (good AND bad), not to read peoples' opinions on political/social issues...regardless of whether or not I agree with them.

I know you would LOVE to think that I was fuming over Derek's short opinion piece. That would really make your day. But the simple truth is that it doesn't belong on the front page - that was my problem. Content? Whatever.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

The Tebow phenomenon is a trip. He's both loved and hated for reasons having nothing to do with football. Can't remember a worse player being such a lightning rod. On the other hand, can't remember a better person being such a lightning rod, either. If he gets a shot with the Pats it will be interesting. If he fades into Bolivian it will also be interesting.

Who hates Tebow? I'd like to see some evidence to back this claim up.
    Mark Sanchez

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Passion said:

Passion said:

Houhusky said:

Passion why don't you ask DJ if you can write a counter viewpoint article, there's not much going on anyways... meh

I try to keep religion, politics, and sports all separate but oh well... Tebow as a football player seems to suck but has always been a winner. Seriously the guy has never lead a losing football team (Jake locker anyone?). While immeasurable, it is a big fucking deal to be a winner and always be a winner. I suspect belichick understands this.

Religion isn't really a left or right issue, like most things it is a statist vs freedom issue. Statist have always seen a higher power that people worship as a threat to themselves. Mao... Stalin... blah blah blah. Religion puts power in something they can't control. The "left" currently acts like statist since they are the ones in control, it will swing back like it always does.

The media has always had it out for anyone who ever projects perfection, Christian or not. People want to see failure, they want to believe someone can't be as good of a person as the project. People want tebow to be caught in a gay midget sex scandal so badly because, on the surface, he seems so good. The story would be huge because its against everything he has painted himself to be. When Hernández killed someone, people just aren't as surprised that a gang banger looking Hispanic guy murdered a few people so the story is dead in a few days.

By and large we're a Husky football website. But from time-to-time we will delve into other topics, and this was something that I wanted to write about because I'm not seeing it expressed anywhere else.

Passion, if you wish to write a counterpoint to my article, we would be happy to run it assuming that it's well-written, as I'm sure it would be. Just be sure to PM me to make sure I'm aware and we'll exchange email addresses and go from there.

DerekJohnson and Houhusky - You miss my point. I took issue with featuring a cover story of this nature. If I posted a "counterpoint" cover story, wouldn't I be just as guilty? Besides, I have no interest in doing so. That's not why I'm here.

Also, I never debated the point of the story or criticized the writing (as others did). Again, I simply said that I disagreed with it being posted. A message board would've been a better forum. In fact, I don't even think it belongs on a football message board, but I certainly would never argue in favor of completely removing it.

If I am to give some credit to dawgman.com, it's that they moved stuff like this to their "unleashed" board. The problem with those d-bags is that you couldn't even talk "football" on the "football board." It had to be scripted to their liking.

I have some pretty firm views on the stuff you wrote, but just don't care to express it here.
    You took offense because you disagree with the message,not that it was posted on the front page. He it been a non Husky article about something that you agreed with you wouldn't have cared. To say otherwise is dishonest.
    Now you're just being stupid and arrogant. Or perhaps it's just ignorance...because you don't know me. But...if you make assumptions about a person without knowing him/her, isn't that stupid? Anyway, your entire argument is based on the false assumption that I was "offended." Wrong. Every day I work in a place where I read material that is WAY more contrary to my beliefs than this one page note - stuff that is researched (sort of) and lengthy. This doesn't even move the needle on my "offense-meter."

Your second assertion is that I would have said nothing if the story advanced a position that I support. Wrong again. On doucheman.com after the 2008 election an
    Passion said:

Passion said:

Houhusky said:

Your second assertion is that I would have said nothing if the story advanced a position that I support. Wrong again. On doucheman.com after the 2008 election an Obama supporter did an endzone dance on the football board. I replied, telling the guy that it belonged on the "unleashed board," not the football board.

For somebody that does NOT work around this stuff all the time, I could see how Derek's piece might be antagonizing. However, if you deal with much more flammable stuff every day, it's not a big deal. I come here to talk about Husky Football (good AND bad), not to read peoples' opinions on political/social issues...regardless of whether or not I agree with them.

I know you would LOVE to think that I was fuming over Derek's short opinion piece. That would really make your day. But the simple truth is that it doesn't belong on the front page - that was my problem. Content? Whatever.
    Good to know your not offended by the content. Thanks for policing the front page and keeping it on topic. It's an important job.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

The Tebow phenomenon is a trip. He's both loved and hated for reasons having nothing to do with football. Can't remember a worse player being such a lightning rod. On the other hand, can't remember a better person being such a lightning rod, either. If he gets a shot with the Pats it will be interesting. If he fades into Bolivian it will also be interesting.

Who hates Tebow? I'd like to see some evidence to back this claim up.
    Mark Sanchez

Well played.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    For some reason it's offensive to christians to say Tebow is not good enough to be an NFL QB. I am sure he is a lovely person and has nothing to do with his football skills.

I don't think people want to see him fail, its the fact there are many frauds that are celebrities. Just think how many frauds you meet daily that aren't celebrities. Its not always easy for people to believe someone so outspoken, can be code for major personal failings.

Let's not get too carried away Tebow's REAL is cold hard cash.