Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It’s 2017 again

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I hate it but really feels like WE were in a much better place personnel wise going into 2017 and that's not even knowing how truly great Vita was gonna be. I don't think Deboer is burnt out like Petersen was though and he's not gonna ruin his QB the way that regime did with Browning.

Unless we see some major movement in the portal, not sure the roster is position to generate that many wins. We also got some lucky bounces our way this year.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    FireCohen said:

I hate it but really feels like WE were in a much better place personnel wise going into 2017 and that's not even knowing how truly great Vita was gonna be. I don't think Deboer is burnt out like Petersen was though and he's not gonna ruin his QB the way that regime did with Browning.

Unless we see some major movement in the portal, not sure the roster is position to generate that many wins. We also got some lucky bounces our way this year.
    As the roster is now, with Kalepo and McMillen leaving, basically no DL, and still no real S help, its a 7-8 win team next year... which is pretty shitty because its not a particularly young team either.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Can’t help but see the parallels between now and after the Peach bowl.

- UW just finished a miracle run bringing themselves back to the national conversation
    - Our stars took us the distance but we saw how we need true depth and a couple more dudes to get over the hump
    - Lingering questions if our brand/style of football is good enough to win it all
    - Emotional/transitional core of the team is leaving, new leaders need to emerge
    - We know we now have tier 1 coaches, need to see if we have tier 1 recruiters/org.

Kalen has the energy and drive to push the program forward in a way that Petersen just didn’t, but we still need to assess the coaches and broader org if it’s ready to consistently be here. NIL/recruiting needs to take a step forward and be an unquestioned differentiator not just try to keep up. We will not have enough talent fall on our lap through local or legacy guys year in year out. Not enough diamonds in the rough to be tier 1 in a crowded new conference.

2017-19 didn’t play out the way we wanted or expected, and the road forward is more daunting and unknown than it was then. Lets see how busy Kalen and the AD gets this offseason

Winners win in January they don’t take vacation

Excellent synopsis but I have a slightly different take than your bolded statement above. Those years didn’t play out like we wanted because Peterson wasn't who we thought he was. Actually, it turns out he was exactly what many here claimed he was. Did he help right the ship? Absolutely, but he was never going to be the leader and recruiter a program like Washington's needed to be a top 5-10 program consistently. As you stated, the jury is still out on DeBoer and his guys but I think he's suited more to be that guy than Peterson was and the program doesn't appear to have a 2 year Jimmy Lake debacle on the horizon any time soon.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

FireCohen said:

As the roster is now, with Kalepo and McMillen leaving, basically no DL, and still no real S help, its a 7-8 win team next year... which is pretty shitty because its not a particularly young team either.
    Kalepo is for sure gone? I just saw an oddly worded tweet from him like he was gone. Doesn't seem like a major draft prospect yet and could benefit from a final year of development and getting attention as a guy who goes into the preseason with some buzz.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Agree/Disagree.

Yes, DeBoer and staff have work to do to get us over the hump, but from that's where the parallels start to fade.

DeBoer is still relatively young and (we have to assume) hungry. Pete was burned out in 2014.

DeBoer Years 1-2 blow the doors off Pete Years 1-2 and he's already surpassed anything Pete ever achieved here.

8-4 with roster as currently constructed, would be miracle work. He needs to hit the portal for DL and OL. let's see what he does
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,028
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Agreed 17 had better pieces coming back and had a higher ceiling as a result.

My point is that it’s now program building time. We need to recruit at an elite level now. Petersen struggled to convert 2016 into consistent talent and depth, this is a big show me off-season for KDB and the staff. I expect results on the field taking a step back this fall, however are we putting the pieces in place to get back to this point and go further.

If Dannen tries to nickel and dime, KDB shrivel dicks in recruiting, and/or we try to make this current style of football permanent then TPIO.

We failed to convert 2016 isn’t blue blood zone, eyes are on Dannen and KDB to cash in this equity

How will we determine the early returns on adding more "consistent talent and depth" I'm wondering? Petersen's recruiting by TBS metrics improved after 2016 and we got worse after that year.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 10
    Houhusky said:

FireCohen said:

I haven't read the bored and this is the 1st I'm reading about who's leaving. So it's McMillen, Polk and Kalepo on top of all the stars we already knew about? That sucks but was predictable. Likely a 7-8 win rebuilding season in that case or DeBoer proves just how valuable he really is.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,627
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    RoadTrip said:

Houhusky said:

FireCohen said:

I haven't read the bored and this is the 1st I'm reading about who's leaving. So it's McMillen, Polk and Kalepo on top of all the stars we already knew about? That sucks but was predictable. Likely a 7-8 win rebuilding season in that case or DeBoer proves just how valuable he really is.
    Polk is the only one who has declared. Odunze, Fautanu, and Trice seem like there's no way and McMillan, DJ, and Jabbar seem only a matter of time. I assume people are reading a kind of cryptic tweet from Kalepo that he's leaving and I saw a tweet from Tuitele that read like he is gone, retiring I assume, and have heard Bandes is retiring.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cannot wrap my head around this 8-4 talk. We have a good coach. You're safe now

• Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I incorrectly read this as 2007.... Haha

No matter, we were in the natty, let's get back and fkn win it.

No more @TheChart
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I see 9-3 at best and 7-5 at worst.

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan L
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC L
    Penn St. W
    UCLA W
    Oregon L
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,603
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan L
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC L
    Penn St. W
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

Why do you have Michigan and USC at home as L's, with a Penn State road win? odd

Here is my prediction:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan W
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC W
    Penn St. L
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

10-2, squeaking into the playoffs. Oregon against either Penn State or Ohio State in the title game.

DeBoer is undefeated at home, Michigan loses as much as we? do.

Penn State will be a crazy road environment and the Ducks will be good.

I suppose there is a chance we find a way to win one of those games and drop a home game, but I just don't see it.

@Iowa will be a massive win for the program.
  • Options
    houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 151
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Standard Supporter
    RoadTrip said:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan L
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC L
    Penn St. W
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

I think we will beat one of Michigan or USC. Probably lose to Oregon. 10-2 should keep us in or around the top 15
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 10

RoadTrip said:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan L
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC L
    Penn St. W
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

I think we will beat one of Michigan or USC. Probably lose to Oregon. 10-2 should keep us in or around the top 15
    10-2 with that schedule will have us hosting a first round playoff game at Huskieieieie stadium

CBS sports has UW at #7 hosting #10 Ole Miss in Seattle in the first round.

That would be pretty awesome. Talk about a culture clash.
  • Options
    houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 151
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Standard Supporter

RoadTrip said:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan L
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC L
    Penn St. W
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

10-2 with that schedule will have us hosting a first round playoff game at Huskieieieie stadium

CBS sports has UW at #7 hosting #10 Ole Miss in Seattle in the first round.

That would be pretty awesome. Talk about a culture clash.
    Love it.
  • Options
    Founders Club

RoadTrip said:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan L
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC L
    Penn St. W
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

Why do you have Michigan and USC at home as L's, with a Penn State road win? odd

Here is my prediction:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan W
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC W
    Penn St. L
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

10-2, squeaking into the playoffs. Oregon against either Penn State or Ohio State in the title game.

I suppose there is a chance we find a way to win one of those games and drop a home game, but I just don't see it.

I was just being as conservative as I could. I think you need to take into consideration just how much talent this team is going to lose. That doesn't mean the replacements can't or won't exceed expectations and meet your 10 win prediction. I just think that's on the extremely high end.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    RoadTrip said:

RoadTrip said:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan L
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC L
    Penn St. W
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

Here is my prediction:

Weber St W
    Eastern Mich W
    Wa St. W
    Northwestern W
    Rutgers W
    Michigan W
    Iowa W
    Indiana W
    USC W
    Penn St. L
    UCLA W
    Oregon L

I was just being as conservative as I could. I think you need to take into consideration just how much talent this team is going to lose. That doesn't mean the replacements can't or won't exceed expectations and meet your 10 win prediction. I just think that's on the extremely high end.
    That's fair, I just found two home L's to be an odd contrast to a road game at Penn State

I think the talent we are bringing in via the portal exceeds the talent leaving on the d-line. By a lot. Exception being Trice.

Also, Durfee gets to start.