Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Precedent

HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,466
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
https://www.citizensforethics.org/reports-investigations/crew-reports/past-14th-amendment-disqualifications/

Historical precedent also confirms that a criminal conviction is not required for an individual to be disqualified under Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment. No one who has been formally disqualified under Section 3 was charged under the criminal “rebellion or insurrection” statute (18 U.S.C. § 2383) or its predecessors. This fact is consistent with Section 3’s text, legislative history, and precedent, all of which make clear that a criminal conviction for any offense is not required for disqualification. Section 3 is not a criminal penalty, but rather is a qualification for holding public office in the United States that can be and has been enforced through civil lawsuits in state courts, among other means.

The precedent likewise confirms that one can “engage” in insurrection without personally committing violent acts. Neither Kenneth Worthy nor Couy Griffin were accused of engaging in violence, yet both were ruled to be disqualified because they knowingly and voluntarily aided violent insurrections. These rulings are consistent with the views of Attorney General Henry Stanbery, who opined in 1867 that when a person has “incited others to engage in [insurrection or] rebellion, he must come under the disqualification.” President Andrew Johnson and his Cabinet approved that interpretation, and Johnson directed officers commanding the Southern military districts to follow it.

Comments

• Options
    I'd ignore the GOP participants in these lawsuits too if I were you.

Anyway, CREW is either correct about the precedent or it is not. Feel free to show their error.

You won't, of course.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,839
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Anyway, CREW is either correct about the precedent or it is not. Feel free to show their error.

You won't, of course.

Way to narrow it down. SCOTUS will take it from here, kid
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,429
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

Yes the GOP participants

Article 17 of the constitution
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    We've shown the error

Everyone gets it

Almost
  • Options
    Sources said:

HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

I would never underestimate the partisan cowardice of this Supreme Court.

I already told you gals you probably have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,557
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Yet they cited NOTHING concerning what Trump did or said. He never told people to attack the capitol and now with the J6 tapes out we know that none of them did.

I think Ray Epps would not get this treatment he's the only one besides actual FBI agents inciting anything but then he was working for them!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Sources said:

HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

How does one differentiate partisan cowardice between the national court and the Colorado court?
  • Options

HHusky said:

Sources said:

HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

How does one differentiate partisan cowardice between the national court and the Colorado court?
    When the SCOTUS ducks the legal issues for procedural quibbles, you'll have your answer.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So you're unable to back up your assertion as usual
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Is "locker room talk" part of the precedent? A buddy of mine with two fake law degrees and a PHD in media deconstruction says so. TYIA.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,575
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This doesn't take effect until Jan 6th (might have read that wrong) and it goes to the SCOTUS first, I am sure they will support this decision.

Have any of the precedent cases mentioned made it to the bigger biased Supreme Court?

I heard that the Colorado GOP is going to have caucuses and not do an election, not sure what effect that will have on the federal election.

To all our investigative poasters, has there ever been a state Supreme Court ruling that included its own stay? First tim I have heard of that happening
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,580
    HHusky said:

https://www.citizensforethics.org/reports-investigations/crew-reports/past-14th-amendment-disqualifications/

Historical precedent also confirms that a criminal conviction is not required for an individual to be disqualified under Section 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment. No one who has been formally disqualified under Section 3 was charged under the criminal “rebellion or insurrection” statute (18 U.S.C. § 2383) or its predecessors. This fact is consistent with Section 3’s text, legislative history, and precedent, all of which make clear that a criminal conviction for any offense is not required for disqualification. Section 3 is not a criminal penalty, but rather is a qualification for holding public office in the United States that can be and has been enforced through civil lawsuits in state courts, among other means.

The precedent likewise confirms that one can “engage” in insurrection without personally committing violent acts. Neither Kenneth Worthy nor Couy Griffin were accused of engaging in violence, yet both were ruled to be disqualified because they knowingly and voluntarily aided violent insurrections. These rulings are consistent with the views of Attorney General Henry Stanbery, who opined in 1867 that when a person has “incited others to engage in [insurrection or] rebellion, he must come under the disqualification.” President Andrew Johnson and his Cabinet approved that interpretation, and Johnson directed officers commanding the Southern military districts to follow it.

March over peacefully....

Game set match
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,580
    HHusky said:

Sources said:

HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

The only partisans were the 4 colorado judges.... this should be a 9 0 rebuking
  • Options
    Goduckies said:

HHusky said:

Sources said:

HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised, but I predict SCOTUS will either duck the merits or butcher the 14th Amendment in the same way they butchered the 2nd. I'm betting they'll duck the merits.

They might get 9-0 if they duck the merits. I doubt very much they'll get a 9-0 vote on the merits.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

Goduckies said:

HHusky said:

Sources said:

HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised, but I predict SCOTUS will either duck the merits or butcher the 14th Amendment in the same way they butchered the 2nd. I'm betting they'll duck the merits.

They might get 9-0 if they duck the merits. I doubt very much they'll get a 9-0 vote on the merits.
    NOC
  • Options

HHusky said:

Goduckies said:

HHusky said:

Sources said:

HHusky said:

You won't, of course.

NOC
    obviously
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    About your worthless opinion