Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A date which will live in infamy

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,907 Swaye's Wigwam
edited December 2023 in Hardcore Husky Board
@AZDuck do you think if those dirty fucking Zeros got a do-over, they would have got the carriers in port? Guessing they would have been favored to do as such.

Comments

• houseofpain247houseofpain247 Member Posts: 204

How much better would they have done on a neutral harbor?

#battletested

YBE
  • SkipBoydSkipBoyd Member Posts: 403

@AZDuck do you think if those dirty fucking Zeros got a do-over, they would have got the carriers in port? Guessing they would have been favored to do as such.

Good job! That’s awesome!
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,585
    I have been disappointed that more news sites haven't marked the 82nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

I mean come on, it was a massively pivotal moment in the American History.
  • AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,698
    History shows the Japs are much better with making cars than wars
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,669 Founders Club

How much better would they have done on a neutral harbor?

#battletested

Suicide dive bomb superiority guy
    I laffed.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,489 Standard Supporter
    HFNY said:

I have been disappointed that more news sites haven't marked the 82nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor.

I mean come on, it was a massively pivotal moment in the American History.

Up there with J6 and 9/11

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,378
    Had to wait for Truman to get his guys in there…
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,874 Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Japanese were also forced to play Liberty after their loss.

Big Penix Energy> Big Boy
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,907 Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

And McArthur did a good job…too bad he couldn’t keep it going in @DerekJohnson’s Korea.

BTW, McArthur’s photo with Emperor Hirohito is one of my favorite portraits for some reason. Probably because it’s super awkward…like when Petersen went on one of his recruiting home visits.

The was done on purpose.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,377 Founders Club

I'm almost finished with a fascinating book about South Korea. The Koreans have a word called "jeong" that doesn't have an English equivalent. But its basically a feeling or energy that exists between people or between a person and a place. A feeling of extreme loyalty in a sense that goes beyond love and more toward devotion.

In the time during the Japanese occupation, Koreans had a widespread reputation for being slothful and lazy. When they achieved independence from Japan, that feeling of jeong really went into hyperdrive as the country banded together. When a strong Christian influence intermixed with the pre-existing Buddhist and Confucian traditions, it sparked a nationwide obsession to better themselves as a country and to be the best. When a Korean raises a fist and says the English word "fighting!", they aren't just saying cheer up or hang in there. It is actually more drawing upon the embattled history of South Korea and a reminder that they owe it not just to themselves to do their best, but they owe it to their country. Maybe JFK touched upon this kind of thing briefly when he exhorted Americans to "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

There are stories of Americans (and other nationalities) visiting Korea and losing something like a wallet, and then being astonished when a Korean found it and went to great lengths to track down the owner and return it to them. Americans think it is amazing politeness, but it is actually rooted in substance.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,907 Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

And McArthur did a good job…too bad he couldn’t keep it going in @DerekJohnson’s Korea.

BTW, McArthur’s photo with Emperor Hirohito is one of my favorite portraits for some reason. Probably because it’s super awkward…like when Petersen went on one of his recruiting home visits.

MacArthur was a pansy who abandoned his men like Petersen did at the Rose Bowl.
    Pansy isn’t the right word. He was highly decorated in WW1- e.g., distinguished service cross and silver stars. And it was FDR who ordered him to evacuate Bataan.

But he was a vainglorious ‘sum bitch who fucked up in Korea badly.