Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How will we ever beat Mighty Tejas?

Comments

• Options
    DahobbsDahobbs Member Posts: 34
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    FireCohen said:

Dahobbs said:

If we? lose because of a fatass nose tackle shut it down.

Sweat is far from just a fat ass. Dude can move. He'll spend most of the game taking on double teams so that others can work. But, given the opportunity, he'll flash some impressive pass rushing skills given his size. His primary problem in previous seasons was he would tire out quickly. He made a jump this year with his motor, but we also substitute liberally on the dline. Teams that run the hurry up can get some real offensive momentum as a result if they can keep moving and prevent our subs. Washington doesn't appear to play that way, but I'm sure it is something y'all will try after watching our film.
    we will just run right at him lol
    Please do.
  • Options

Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

Love the premise that Texas got better over the past year and UW I guess stood still.

I never said that. I'm sure Washington did, but by nature of being a better team last season, it didn't have as far to improve as Texas did. Also, statistically, it is easier to find the improvement in Texas. By many metrics y'all look the same or even slightly worse. I'd have to be more familiar with your team and probably have to examine the advanced metrics more closely to know where the improvement occurred. I figure y'all are in a better position to do that than me.
    Looks like this guy is here just to beat his chest.
    I don't understand. Does referencing objective data constitute chest beating? I'm sure on an opponent adjusted basis, y'all have improved statistically. I just don't have that information in front of me. I've already said that y'all could blow us out. I'm not here acting cocky or anything.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

Love the premise that Texas got better over the past year and UW I guess stood still.

I never said that. I'm sure Washington did, but by nature of being a better team last season, it didn't have as far to improve as Texas did. Also, statistically, it is easier to find the improvement in Texas. By many metrics y'all look the same or even slightly worse. I'd have to be more familiar with your team and probably have to examine the advanced metrics more closely to know where the improvement occurred. I figure y'all are in a better position to do that than me.
    The offensive passing game has been a little inconsistent compared to last year and I think less sacks but everything else has gotten better specifically the pass defense and the run game.
  • Options

Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

Metrics favored Texas last season. UW was a 10 point dog to Oregon in the Pac-12 champ game.

The metrics mean jack shit.

UW's offense is erratic and plays poorly at times, but they are the most brilliant and explosive squad in the country.

Also, UW has the better coach and better QB than Texas.

Reasons for confidence.
    I wasn't comparing metrics between Texas and Washington, but rather Washington 2022 And Washington 2023. Anyway, you didn't really play the 2022 Texas team those metrics were based upon. 70% of our offense was sitting out. As was our best defensive player, who played at a very thin position.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,317
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NEsnake12 said:

NEsnake12 said:

I know we're in doog it up mode right now but T'Vondre Sweat is probably the 2nd best player on the field after Rome

Don't know who this guy is, so just checked his bio:

"...had one tackle, one quarterback hurry and one pass breakup against Washington in the Alamo Bowl."

Must have taken a dramatic step up in his game from last season if he's the second best player on the field.
    Looking at stats for a NT is fucking stupid. He was the Big12 DPOY because he shuts down the interior run game. Biggest test for UW will be our interior OL against him and Byron Murphy II
    I wasn't looking at stats, so much as pointing out that this guy played in the game last year. As a redshirt junior, not some 18 year old freshman. How'd Tualapapa run that day, I can't remember?...
  • Options

NEsnake12 said:

NEsnake12 said:

I know we're in doog it up mode right now but T'Vondre Sweat is probably the 2nd best player on the field after Rome

Don't know who this guy is, so just checked his bio:

"...had one tackle, one quarterback hurry and one pass breakup against Washington in the Alamo Bowl."

Must have taken a dramatic step up in his game from last season if he's the second best player on the field.
    Looking at stats for a NT is fucking stupid. He was the Big12 DPOY because he shuts down the interior run game. Biggest test for UW will be our interior OL against him and Byron Murphy II
    I wasn't looking at stats, so much as pointing out that this guy played in the game last year. As a redshirt junior, not some 18 year old freshman. How'd Tualapapa run that day, I can't remember?...
    The question is more why was he able to run that well. In case y'all are interested, here is every play without the filler:

https://youtu.be/e98_aAcWI-4?si=lKEmtm2CPTO8M5gf
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,533
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

13-0, 5 wins over top 25 and had to beat a top 5 rival twice.

Other than that stats are for losers.

Big 12 took in a bunch of G5's this year like Houston and BYU and was the worst power 5 conference.
  • Options
    haie said:

Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

Big 12 took in a bunch of G5's this year like Houston and BYU and was the worst power 5 conference.
    Eh, by Massey it was 2nd, behind the SEC and just in front of the PAC 12.

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fbs/ratings?c=1

In Sagarin it is third, just behind the PAC 12.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,607
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    UW has given up more sacks this year. 7 to 11. Minimal increase.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

Without a deep dive into metrics, this year's team has looked like complete shit for various reasons for long stretches (particularly the back half). The theme of the season has been playing poorly with pieced together lineups and finding a way to win anyway.

Penix really looked off down the stretch and there have been more than a fair share of "fire Grubb" calls as the offense has significantly played under its potential.

However, they've put it together when it matters most and look to finally be getting healthy. The month off is going to do wonders for this team. Texas has 5 stars 2 deep and Washington does not, there have been some significant lumps taken by our backups (particularly in the secondary and interior DL).

At WR Mcmillan is finally back and that changes everything, he was arguably more important to the team than Rome going into the season and his absence skews a lot of the data the metrics rely on.

I expect another close game. I was at the Alamo last year and Penix played like shit while Ewers had his best passing game until the B12 championship last week, and Washington found a way to win.

I think we absorb another 300+ passing from Ewers, but if Sark sticks to the run we might be in trouble.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,533
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    Dahobbs said:

haie said:

Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

Jesus Christ. This isn't hard.

TCU went 5-7, a bunch of G5's got plugged in, and teams like Kansas and Iowa State were contenders. Oklahoma was limp dick again.

That's a shit conference any way you slice it.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    haie said:

Dahobbs said:

haie said:

Dahobbs said:

doogville said:

Jesus Christ. This isn't hard.

TCU went 5-7, a bunch of G5's got plugged in, and teams like Kansas and Iowa State were contenders. Oklahoma was limp dick again.

That's a shit conference any way you slice it.
    TCU being bad means it was a bad conference? Ok. The Big 12 has 9 bowl eligible teams. PAC 12 has 8. Granted, the Big 12 has two additional teams this year. It was a decent conference this year.

Oh, and Kansas is a very solid team. Not upper echelon of course, but that offense can score.
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

guys let try to make the shit talking entertaining vs. fucking reading walls of text

Sorry. But don't fret, I assumed most y'all couldn't read anyway.
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dahobbs said:

FireCohen said:

guys let try to make the shit talking entertaining vs. fucking reading walls of text

Sorry. But don't fret, I assumed most y'all couldn't read anyway.
    Were you a preemie?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,817
    Founders Club
    jecornel said:

UW has given up more sacks this year. 7 to 11. Minimal increase.

I like to say a 57% increase is minimal. TWILTD.