Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If NOGAF About Stealing Signs…and we? now have NIL…

…what in your mind should be enforced in college athletics?

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,929
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

I prefer under the table illusion of purity but it is what it is

Even @GrandpaSankey can see the purity has been fucked out of this one a long time ago.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Outside of mgoblog, who thinks what Michigan did isn’t a big deal/won’t be enforced?
  • Options

ntxduck said:

Outside of mgoblog, who thinks what Michigan did isn’t a big deal/won’t be enforced?
    Me
    At minimum they’re going to lose their coach over this
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,404
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Me
    They might or he might bail. That would be dumb for Michigan to get rid of him

Too many college football writers hate college football. That goes back decades

Hi Art Theil!

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Me
    Possibly. It will be some hapless assistant or coordinator who did a backroom deal to take the fall for the boss with the understanding they’ll be “rewarded” for their sacrifice later with a plum coaching gig later someplace else.The big fish get to resign…again, with the assumption that someone else will set them up with another gig. NCAA gets their symbolic head to mount over their mantle and that will be the end of it.

But my original question stands…what in your mind should still be enforced or would be so egregious that it would be worth REALLY taking action over?
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

This is very similar to the Astros, IMO. "Everybody does it" gets you a little wiggle room, but it isn't a situation of "they didn't change their signs and we figured it out". "Everybody" didn't get caught flagrantly breaking a rule.

They latched on to it, had success with it, and were not discreet to the point of arrogance, just like the Astros. Having spent many years in a dugout attempting to steal signs while preventing my signs from being stolen, I saw body language and reactions with the 2017 Astros that told me something was going on. You get a guy set up, throw a perfect pitch, and it gets hammered off the wall, or over it. See it once, you shake your head. See it twice, you start looking and listening, really hard.

Jimbo Khakis crossed the line...combined with his other shit, he gone...

I really don’t follow MLB that closely, but did the punishment the league brought down have any *real* lasting impact?

And yeah, it’s not this one instance of cheating that bothers me about Michigan, it’s all the combined shit.

Besides the obvious situations like the Sandusky scandal at Penn State, I don’t know what’s sanction worthy anymore either. But it should be *something*.
  • Options

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Me

Hi Art Theil!

He’s going to bail is what I was alluding to. Same result either way
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,253
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2023

Fishpo31 said:

This is very similar to the Astros, IMO. "Everybody does it" gets you a little wiggle room, but it isn't a situation of "they didn't change their signs and we figured it out". "Everybody" didn't get caught flagrantly breaking a rule.

They latched on to it, had success with it, and were not discreet to the point of arrogance, just like the Astros. Having spent many years in a dugout attempting to steal signs while preventing my signs from being stolen, I saw body language and reactions with the 2017 Astros that told me something was going on. You get a guy set up, throw a perfect pitch, and it gets hammered off the wall, or over it. See it once, you shake your head. See it twice, you start looking and listening, really hard.

I really don’t follow MLB that closely, but did the punishment the league brought down have any *real* lasting impact?

And yeah, it’s not this one instance of cheating that bothers me about Michigan, it’s all the combined shit.

Besides the obvious situations like the Sandusky scandal at Penn State, I don’t know what’s sanction worthy anymore either. But it should be *something*.
    Good point...People got fired, and all MLB video rooms now are manned (or womanned) by MLB personnel, restricting access during games, in addition to relocating them away from the dugouts. No championship forfeited, no rings taken back...MLB had rules in place for electronic communication to and from the dugout, but did not anticipate anyone taking it this far. NCAA had the 'no-live scouting' rule on the books since 2013.

EDIT: I think the "penalty" part of it will be what most consider minimal, with he goal being to prevent it by instituting rigid punishment going forward. They shouldn't punish the kids, but people gotta go...
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,945
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Me

Hi Art Theil!

He’s going to bail is what I was alluding to. Same result either way
    That's my opinion also. He'll coach through the end of the year and take the Bears job or something. That might've happened before all of this too.

These kinds of stories always end up getting worse as time goes on.
  • Options
    Fishpo31 said:

Everyone does do it, legally. In-game and from what they can pick up off film. Like you said, like the Astros, UM pushed the envelope way too hard into territory no one else does.

I think Jim took the forced paycut really hard to his massive ego, and went full nick nolte in blue chips