Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If NOGAF About Stealing Signs…and we? now have NIL…

2»

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,929
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

This is very similar to the Astros, IMO. "Everybody does it" gets you a little wiggle room, but it isn't a situation of "they didn't change their signs and we figured it out". "Everybody" didn't get caught flagrantly breaking a rule.

They latched on to it, had success with it, and were not discreet to the point of arrogance, just like the Astros. Having spent many years in a dugout attempting to steal signs while preventing my signs from being stolen, I saw body language and reactions with the 2017 Astros that told me something was going on. You get a guy set up, throw a perfect pitch, and it gets hammered off the wall, or over it. See it once, you shake your head. See it twice, you start looking and listening, really hard.

Jimbo Khakis crossed the line...combined with his other shit, he gone...

Rumor is Courtney caught wind and decided it was time to find a coach with good old fashioned values. An honest, lunch pail type guy.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2023

If only political reporters were as dogged as college football writers. Regardless of your persuasion in politics its striking at how fast and deep people are digging into this. They have photos of the guy going back years

Heh. Good point. The era of Woodward and Bernstein is over. But that’s true of a lot of things this day and age. Our nation’s best and brightest could’ve probably gotten us? to Mars by now but they were too busy with cryptocurrency and developing some useless app for our smartphones. (I know, take it to the Tug.)

In the age of social media and camera phones (which is where a lot of the evidence against this Michigan guy came from) I really don’t know how anyone can expect to get away with anything.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 784
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

…what in your mind should be enforced in college athletics?

Outside of mgoblog, who thinks what Michigan did isn’t a big deal/won’t be enforced?
    Me
    At minimum they’re going to lose their coach over this
    They might or he might bail. That would be dumb for Michigan to get rid of him

Too many college football writers hate college football. That goes back decades

Hi Art Theil!

He’s going to bail is what I was alluding to. Same result either way
    That's my opinion also. He'll coach through the end of the year and take the Bears job or something. That might've happened before all of this too.

These kinds of stories always end up getting worse as time goes on.
    They're sign sign-stealing cheaters. I'm bringing a trash can and banging the shit out of it any time the Dawgs play them in the future. I might be the first person to bring a small metal trash can as my carry-on when I go to ann Arbor.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Fucking refs shaving points. Definitely that pac-12 crew last weekend was betting the under on the points for the game.
  • Options
    RTDRTD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 784
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club

RTD said:

Bob_C said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Outside of mgoblog, who thinks what Michigan did isn’t a big deal/won’t be enforced?
    Me
    At minimum they’re going to lose their coach over this
    They might or he might bail. That would be dumb for Michigan to get rid of him

Too many college football writers hate college football. That goes back decades

Hi Art Theil!

He’s going to bail is what I was alluding to. Same result either way
    That's my opinion also. He'll coach through the end of the year and take the Bears job or something. That might've happened before all of this too.

These kinds of stories always end up getting worse as time goes on.
    They're sign sign-stealing cheaters. I'm bringing a trash can and banging the shit out of it any time the Dawgs play them in the future. I might be the first person to bring a small metal trash can as my carry-on when I go to ann Arbor.

I know you’re being sarcastic but I’m pretty sure you can purchase a metal trash can in Ann Arbor or really anywhere in Michigan.
    Thanks for talking me off the edge. All I saw was purple.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,858
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited October 2023

I prefer under the table illusion of purity but it is what it is

Even @GrandpaSankey can see the purity has been fucked out of this one a long time ago.
    I'm not sure it was ever there, but at least 15 or 20 years ago there were consequences. Call me a square, but there ought to be rules with some teeth. Otherwise it's just a corporate free for all with the SEC (up until this year maybe) just cheating and buying their way to the top. Hell, even ESPN cheats for them. It's one reason I've gradually tuned out anything but the Pac 12. The same thing happened with CBB around 2010 but for different reasons. We have the ridiculous situation of West Coast schools now being in Midwest and East Coast conferences. That's not college athletics. I don't get why people are giddy about it.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

For me it's less about what is enforced and more about standardizing the playing field

What I probably underestimated about NIL is the importance of bringing the money above table ... similar to people who just simply won't fly there are people that simply won't participate in illegal behavior. However, as soon as you bring it above board where there's at least an illusion of goods/services being exchanged and just as importantly the funds can be used to assist with taxes ... all of a sudden you get people willing to step up in the name of capitalism

It still feels like there needs to be a bit of work done to smooth out how talent gets spread out given that there's a high regional aspect to where players come from

I'm all for each school in theory having the ability to differentiate themselves a bit differently than another ...

There's still a lot of loop holes out there when you look at the athletes as employees perspective
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,948
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

The NFL peaked in the early 90s when DeBartolo and Jones fought to win at any cost. The loser owners wanted a salary cap and luxury tax. Bunch of commies

Who knew that free market capitalism football would end up in college.

No salary cap. No rules. Just win

I don't want a minor league NFL but all the good intentions are paving this road

No bullshit tax payer money for Husky Stadium right? We had to pay for that ourselves.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,903
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

For me it's less about what is enforced and more about standardizing the playing field

What I probably underestimated about NIL is the importance of bringing the money above table ... similar to people who just simply won't fly there are people that simply won't participate in illegal behavior. However, as soon as you bring it above board where there's at least an illusion of goods/services being exchanged and just as importantly the funds can be used to assist with taxes ... all of a sudden you get people willing to step up in the name of capitalism

It still feels like there needs to be a bit of work done to smooth out how talent gets spread out given that there's a high regional aspect to where players come from

I'm all for each school in theory having the ability to differentiate themselves a bit differently than another ...

There's still a lot of loop holes out there when you look at the athletes as employees perspective
    The above board aspect also opens things up for smaller donors to give directly to players through UW’s NIL website. I’m sure other schools have a similar set up.

This is an apples and oranges comparison between UW in a major city with 3 major and 2 minor pro sports team and UK in Lexington with no competition but there are plenty of billboards around town here with UK football and basketball players.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,400
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

The above board aspect also opens things up for smaller donors to give directly to players through UW’s NIL website. I’m sure other schools have a similar set up.

This is an apples and oranges comparison between UW in a major city with 3 major and 2 minor pro sports team and UK in Lexington with no competition but there are plenty of billboards around town here with UK football and basketball players.
    UK basketball is Bama football
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

Me
    Count me in. Adapt or die.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

Thank you for articulating what I was trying to get at - standardization is a better word for this.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,599
    I can't imagine giving money directly to a player. I've always hated the kids.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,929
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Even @GrandpaSankey can see the purity has been fucked out of this one a long time ago.
    I'm not sure it was ever there, but at least 15 or 20 years ago there were consequences. Call me a square, but there ought to be rules with some teeth. Otherwise it's just a corporate free for all with the SEC (up until this year maybe) just cheating and buying their way to the top. Hell, even ESPN cheats for them. It's one reason I've gradually tuned out anything but the Pac 12. The same thing happened with CBB around 2010 but for different reasons. We have the ridiculous situation of West Coast schools now being in Midwest and East Coast conferences. That's not college athletics. I don't get why people are giddy about it.
    Geez, old Billy. I’ll get off your lawn.

But I agree. One year it’s the fiesta bowl and the next it’s the Tostitos fiesta bowl. Beginning of the end in my millennial mind.

Money, greed, ruined. Though I’ll still be tuning in at 7p tonight because I’m a loser.