Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mario Cristobal Sends His Thanks

13»

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,024 Founders Club

ntxduck said:

I'm with @ntxduck. I disagree with every single one of Lanning's 4th down calls, but I also liked Chris Petersen, so I guess according to this board that establishes a long history of being a bitch. Poont is, reasonable people can disagree on the intelligence of going for it on 4th down (statistics suggest it's usually the smart move), but NOBODY ON EARTH can defend losing a game because you run a play instead of taking a knee.

It's the difference between winning the annual Fake Tough Guy Award° and being a total fucking retard, regardless of who beat an entirely different Husky team with an entirely different staff and no big Penix.

Nothing Cristo does or does not do at Miami has a single thing to do with that, so bringing it up is, at best, obfuscation.
    I didn't bring it up, you did. You're the OP of this thread. Your OP said nothing about "biggest dumbfuck against Washington in a big game," it said "biggest dumbfuck in college football." In obvious reference to your lover becoming the poster child of dumbfuck coaching decisions last week.

Your argument was, "What LanningFS did yesterday was worse than what Meat did last Saturday."

It objectively wasn't.
    Fair enough. It was hyperbole. That said, all 3 Lanning calls were terrible. I'm taped to the pedals on that one.
    I’m throwing Bo under the bus after a rewatch. He had wide open touchdowns on all 3.
    I didn't think he was sharp either. Penix outplayed him bigly although Nix had good stats. I'm also curious as to why he doens't run as much as he used to and, when he does, he's generally underwhelming. He folds and goes down when the wind blows too hard. His feet aren't the threat they were his first year.
    Nix has great physical traits but has the feel of Jake Locker. He's just not a smooth and natural QB. He gets flustered, panics, and is inaccurate at the most inopportune times. His footwork gets messed up under pressure.

That 4th and 3 was a terrible call too. Two wrs right next to each other running 12 yard routes to get three yards. Head scratcher.
    And rolling to his left.
  • Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,723

ntxduck said:

I'm with @ntxduck. I disagree with every single one of Lanning's 4th down calls, but I also liked Chris Petersen, so I guess according to this board that establishes a long history of being a bitch. Poont is, reasonable people can disagree on the intelligence of going for it on 4th down (statistics suggest it's usually the smart move), but NOBODY ON EARTH can defend losing a game because you run a play instead of taking a knee.

It's the difference between winning the annual Fake Tough Guy Award° and being a total fucking retard, regardless of who beat an entirely different Husky team with an entirely different staff and no big Penix.

Nothing Cristo does or does not do at Miami has a single thing to do with that, so bringing it up is, at best, obfuscation.
    I didn't bring it up, you did. You're the OP of this thread. Your OP said nothing about "biggest dumbfuck against Washington in a big game," it said "biggest dumbfuck in college football." In obvious reference to your lover becoming the poster child of dumbfuck coaching decisions last week.

Your argument was, "What LanningFS did yesterday was worse than what Meat did last Saturday."

It objectively wasn't.
    Fair enough. It was hyperbole. That said, all 3 Lanning calls were terrible. I'm taped to the pedals on that one.
    I’m throwing Bo under the bus after a rewatch. He had wide open touchdowns on all 3.
    I thought he looked better than big Penix 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I had actually thought Nix was better than Penix. I'm open to other opinions though. Looks to me like a weird route tree on the left with guys too close ala Petersen/Hamden shit and Trice getting pressure saved the day because he would have had to throw to Franklin off his back foot. Getting anyone other than Muhammad on Franklin was basically an automatic big play.

I'll give Crisco beating Washington. It's all about QBs though. UW beats Crisco any of this years if they have Penix. Maybe even easily. He also got the first two because he inherited Herbert, who he probably wouldn't have recruited, and who he made look only above average.
    Penix didn't have a great game but he was absolute nails in crunch time. Threw several mind boggling lazers and 4 TDs. We've just become so used to it.

I wouldn't say he was outplayed by Nix, although Nix had a good game.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,010

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.
    I had actually thought Nix was better than Penix. I'm open to other opinions though. Looks to me like a weird route tree on the left with guys too close ala Petersen/Hamden shit and Trice getting pressure saved the day because he would have had to throw to Franklin off his back foot. Getting anyone other than Muhammad on Franklin was basically an automatic big play.

I'll give Crisco beating Washington. It's all about QBs though. UW beats Crisco any of this years if they have Penix. Maybe even easily. He also got the first two because he inherited Herbert, who he probably wouldn't have recruited, and who he made look only above average.
    As a passer, no way. I'm not sure anybody in the country is close to Penix in that category. I'm sure somebody could argue overall QB factoring in running too, but not a gunslinger.

If Nix ran like he did last year, then it's an interesting conversation. But passing out of the pocket is all Penix.

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

The Ducks might insist that if you get Penix in the way back time machine, Crisco gets Mariotta. I don't think even Crisco manages to fuck up having that guy.

As it stands, both this Duck team and Crisco's one advantage is that they like to run. Best thing to have playing a guy like Penix. Or at least it helps.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,329 Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

As a passer, no way. I'm not sure anybody in the country is close to Penix in that category. I'm sure somebody could argue overall QB factoring in running too, but not a gunslinger.

If Nix ran like he did last year, then it's an interesting conversation. But passing out of the pocket is all Penix.
    I think Penix is a way better passer than Nix. I meant I thought Nix might have had a better game. Penix was off on more than usual though credit goes to Oregon's defense for the pressure and better coverage. I thought Nix ran a ton against Texas Tech. I think he just saw good options down field against UW when he rolled out.

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

I think Penix is a way better passer than Nix. I meant I thought Nix might have had a better game. Penix was off on more than usual though credit goes to Oregon's defense for the pressure and better coverage. I thought Nix ran a ton against Texas Tech. I think he just saw good options down field against UW when he rolled out.
    Got it. I don't think he did. I think Penix had the better game.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,224

ntxduck said:

Doogles said:

It's 100% the right call to go for it and end it there.

Not taking the points before half was a big blunder, but 3 yards to ice the game midfield-ish knowing UW gonna score, you do it every time.

Bo was really bad yesterday. Missed wide open looks on all three 4th downs
    Dumas.
    That's probably his 3rd or 4th read rolling to his left. Nix is clearly not a "pure passer" and is never going to go through all of his progressions in a play like that.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,544 Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

The 4th down in the 3rd quarter was way worse. Simple 5 yard pitch to holden
    There's gotta be something to playing tight when it's 4th down, because Penix' gimme on 4th to Westy was a similar howler, only close enough that he could make a miracle grab. Honestly, I was fully expecting them to reverse that and give Oregon the ball. I think he caught it, but...

I think the other two from Nix weren't so obvious. He didn't have a good sight line to Franklin at midfield, and I thought the one in the end zone was way more a stupid call than a bad play by Nix. Sprint-out cuts half the field off, and it was way too crowded out there. More defenders than targets.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,847 Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

Doogles said:

It's 100% the right call to go for it and end it there.

Not taking the points before half was a big blunder, but 3 yards to ice the game midfield-ish knowing UW gonna score, you do it every time.

Bo was really bad yesterday. Missed wide open looks on all three 4th downs
    Dumas.
    That's probably his 3rd or 4th read rolling to his left. Nix is clearly not a "pure passer" and is never going to go through all of his progressions in a play like that.
    I don’t even know what the comment was. Dumas for not switching the X and twitter.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,601
    edited October 2023

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

There's gotta be something to playing tight when it's 4th down, because Penix' gimme on 4th to Westy was a similar howler, only close enough that he could make a miracle grab. Honestly, I was fully expecting them to reverse that and give Oregon the ball. I think he caught it, but...

I think the other two from Nix weren't so obvious. He didn't have a good sight line to Franklin at midfield, and I thought the one in the end zone was way more a stupid call than a bad play by Nix. Sprint-out cuts half the field off, and it was way too crowded out there. More defenders than targets.
    I was talking about this one (below), but the 3rd down he alligator armed to holden was bad, too. This one is egregiously bad because it should be his first read—and it’s there 1 second into the play. He’s scared to throw over the middle though. Ptsd from his Auburn days. They ran the same play at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and he had Gary Bryant with no one within 15 yards of him. The coaches even pointed it out from the sideline and he gave a face like “yeah, I know”. Clearly ya didn’t Bo.

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,161
    edited October 2023

This.

Going for it on 4th down was a judgement call (chances of x happening versus y). There were percentage chances each way. And the cumulative (multiply them together) positive or negative chances were still above zero. This all took place on the road in a hostile environment where it is sometimes necessary to take significant risks.

When meat made the call to not take a knee he changed a zero percent chance event into a something percent chance. I am not sure what the meat lovers are missing (other than a basic logic class and the ability to make a logical argument) in this comparison.

For Meat, there was no reward and he willing risked a win for no apparent pay off.

This is not even a close call. Meat wins (loses) hands down.

And I still want to marry Dan Lanning because if he does make the other choice on the first two forth down calls the game likely ends differently.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,224
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

I was talking about this one (below), but the 3rd down he alligator armed to holden was bad, too. This one is egregiously bad because it should be his first read—and it’s there 1 second into the play. He’s scared to throw over the middle though. Ptsd from his Auburn days. They ran the same play at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and he had Gary Bryant with no one within 15 yards of him. The coaches even pointed it out from the sideline and he gave a face like “yeah, I know”. Clearly ya didn’t Bo.

Looks like he made up his mind where he was going with the ball before the snap.
    EwaDawg said:

This.

Going for it on 4th down was a judgement call (chances of x happening versus y). There were percentage chances each way. And the cumulative (multiply them together) positive or negative chances were still above zero. This all took place on the road in a hostile environment where it is sometimes necessary to take significant risks.

When meat made the call to not take a knee he changed a zero percent chance event into a something percent chance. I am not sure what the meat lovers are missing (other than a basic logic class and the ability to make a logical argument) in this comparison.

For Meat, there was no reward and he willing risked a win for no apparent pay off.

This is not even a close call. Meat wins (loses) hands down.

And I still want to marry Dan Lanning because if he does make the other choice on the first two forth down calls the game likely ends differently.
    That for you that distilled stream of logic. I see things more clearly now.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,975
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

It objectively wasn't.

Holden wasn't open. He was well-covered by the referee.